by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

New Hyperion RMB

WA Delegate (non-executive): The Hyperian Protectorate of Empirical Science (elected )

Founder: The Galactic Autarchy of Magna Hyperion

Last WA Update:

Board Activity History Admin Rank

World Factbook Entry

Welcome to New Hyperion. It pays to pay attention.
~Founded October 29th 2014~
"New Hyperion, and its companion Foundation at the other end of the galaxy, are to be the seeds and founders of the Third Galactic Empire."

| Current RP Thread | LinkOur Forum | LinkRegional Map | LinkDiscord Server | Nationstates++ | LinkCurrent Game Time |


We are now a vassal of Wintreath. Though we remain active, all citizens are encouraged to join their region and Linkforums using a puppet.

All WA nations should endorse the WACom Delegate, Empirical Science. The current endorsement limit for all other nations is 0, and is enforced by the Inquisition.

Embassy requests will not be accepted without first applying for a consulate on our forum.



Embassies: Wintreath, Aura Hyperia, Warhammer 40000, New Hypertension, Hyperian Guard, The Land of Power, The United States of Europe, The Confederacy of Free Nations, and Atlantis.

Tags: FT: FTL, Featured, Future Tech, Imperialist, Independent, Large, Multi-Species, Offsite Chat, Offsite Forums, Outer Space, Post Apocalyptic, Regional Government, and 2 others.Role Player, and Social.

Regional Power: Moderate

New Hyperion contains 65 nations, the 206th most in the world.

Today's World Census Report

The Largest Soda Pop Sector in New Hyperion

The World Census recorded sales of fizzy syrup water in order to determine which nations have the largest beverage industries.

As a region, New Hyperion is ranked 6,130th in the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector.

NationWA CategoryMotto
1.The Holy Destruction of NukatopiaCompulsory Consumerist State“war never changes”
2.The Corporatocracy of EsterlonMoralistic Democracy“Aurum et Fortunae.”
3.The Tyros Splinter Government of Terra NovamMother Knows Best State“Erő keresztül egység”
4.The Loose-Confederacy of AnarcousCapitalist Paradise“Those who do not work do not eat®”
5.The Confederacy of EtaireiesCorporate Police State“Power in Unity, Weakness in Individuality”
6.The New Hyperion Autocracy of GenesisAnarchy“Mors ultima linea rerum est”
7.The Deus ex Populus Hive Mind of Invertere UtopiaAnarchy“Omnia omnibus”
8.The Republic of KikkikIron Fist Consumerists“Rf m”
9.The Shadow Proxy of Wintermoot IIFather Knows Best State“Another nation led by the glorious Wintermoot”
10.The Republic of DampheceFather Knows Best State“Strength Through Commerce”
1234. . .67»

Regional Happenings

More...

New Hyperion Regional Message Board

Good evening. We are The Empire of the Leviathan Federation of the Sea, a conservative nation that sits in the ocean. Our empire, if you could call it that, is made of boats, submarines, floating islands, and underwater bases. Our technological specialty is robotics, yet we have a very human touch to all of our work.

We look forward to interacting with you all

Aragonn wrote:It's been a month since Terra Novam's last post. I hope nothing has happened to her...

She sounds like a busy person. I am more certain that she is well than that she is not, but your guess, that I assume is based on an equal amount of information (no information at all), is as good as mine.

Instead of concerning yourself about her absence, I implore you to find enjoyment in those scarce moments that the two of you share. Be happy that things are instead of sad that things aren't.

Speaking of things that are, have you grown any more fond of what it is I have to say?

The Leviathan Federation of the Sea wrote:Good evening. We are The Empire of the Leviathan Federation of the Sea, a conservative nation that sits in the ocean. Our empire, if you could call it that, is made of boats, submarines, floating islands, and underwater bases. Our technological specialty is robotics, yet we have a very human touch to all of our work.

We look forward to interacting with you all

Region hopper.

Invertere Utopia wrote:She sounds like a busy person. I am more certain that she is well than that she is not, but your guess, that I assume is based on an equal amount of information (no information at all), is as good as mine.

Instead of concerning yourself about her absence, I implore you to find enjoyment in those scarce moments that the two of you share. Be happy that things are instead of sad that things aren't.

Speaking of things that are, have you grown any more fond of what it is I have to say?

She said she'd be back in a couple of weeks. Last we heard from her was a month ago. Ergo something has happened which either prevents or dissuades her from returning. I'm no psyker, but I do have the ability to determine possible scenarios and their likelihood based off of previous information provided on life events. The most likely scenario is getting tied up with making sure her schooling moves forward as planned. After that is emotional trauma from family over her personal decisions.

The answer to your question is no. I have not grown any more fond of the things you have to say. You're trying to feed your "enlightened" theories onto someone with a practical mind sharing a likeness to a soldier. Analyze, plan, execute. No problem is insurmountable so long as you don't give in to the negative emotions. You keep fighting until you're dead because life is a war. Your world is a warzone.

i have no idea how to do anything

Occasnia wrote:i have no idea how to do anything

There isn't really much to do. NationStates is what you make of it. The last page on this message board (here, where you are right now, is the message board), page 392, has a big post from me about some of what NS has to offer.

Aragonn wrote:The answer to your question is no. I have not grown any more fond of the things you have to say. You're trying to feed your "enlightened" theories onto someone with a practical mind sharing a likeness to a soldier. Analyze, plan, execute. No problem is insurmountable so long as you don't give in to the negative emotions. You keep fighting until you're dead because life is a war. Your world is a warzone.

I appreciate the response. I'm sad to read that, though. If that's really what you think, then your experience in life has not been good by my standards at least. Of all animals, I think humans are the least bound by nature; that is to say that most human capability is in skill mastery (learning, generally) and not instinct. So not only is it unlikely your perspective comes from the levers of DNA that built you, but it's also likely that you created that narrative to explain a crapsack life. (see: <https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrapsackWorld>)

As always, I hope you're dead wrong and that a literal world (planet) of problems can be solved with good, small, central government and a complete philosophy that doesn't leave room for perpetual infighting.

Calling my ideas "theories" would be flattering, but I understand you contrast practicality with my beliefs. Alas, I have only hypotheses, and they are practical to me. Had we lived the same life, I believe we would disagree on very little, and that's entirely the problem. Seven billion different individual experiences cannot all be correct. The historically unrivaled, global conversation that is happening shows us how much we have in common, and I believe one prevailing philosophy is fit to guide all the individual lives of our collective species.

Do you think you'd make a good Secretary of Defense? In my infinite wisdom, I found it necessary for everyone around me to be repelled by my whatever-this-is (personality?) and I've not but a single friend (who doesn't really count, because she's my partner and woefully biased in my favor). So filling staffing positions is going to be really difficult. We're going to have to talk about that WMD policy, though.

I entertain myself with these thoughts and I wonder if I could ever actually fix even a single problem for another person.

I'd be interested in hearing New Hyperion's take on <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jj8vne0ca0> about the current(?) conflict between Israel and Palestine.

On a side note, I'm now only 4 Political Freedom points away from having the highest classification of all three "Trend" freedoms.

The decisions that led to this have entirely destroyed my goals in other areas, but Mr. Barry and I don't have the same understanding of a few things.

I think my previous categorization as a Left-Leaning College State is the most accurate.

Invertere Utopia wrote:I appreciate the response. I'm sad to read that, though. If that's really what you think, then your experience in life has not been good by my standards at least. Of all animals, I think humans are the least bound by nature; that is to say that most human capability is in skill mastery (learning, generally) and not instinct. So not only is it unlikely your perspective comes from the levers of DNA that built you, but it's also likely that you created that narrative to explain a crapsack life. (see: <https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrapsackWorld>)

I wouldn't quite describe my views as "crapsack", but I certainly haven't had an easy time. Add on top of my misfortune the fact that the loudest political group in the US currently claims people like me to be the ultimate bad guy, and I'm not optimistic about my future or even the future of anyone else in this not so God fearing country. We've mostly lost our morals and decency. Some people stand up for morals and rights, and their homes and families suddenly come under attack. We still have homeless people on the streets, some of which are military veterans (which I think is the saddest part of it), and all the popular voices in the media want to bring in masses more with open borders. We have a few sexual deviants, and suddenly gender exists on a spectrum. A few plastic bottles get left behind at the beach, and suddenly we have petitions to stop using plastics. Some shootings take place, and suddenly people are crying for guns to be taken away from everyone. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the gist of it. We can't have nice things anymore because these younger generations just don't understand nor will they listen.

Invertere Utopia wrote:As always, I hope you're dead wrong and that a literal world (planet) of problems can be solved with good, small, central government and a complete philosophy that doesn't leave room for perpetual infighting.

That dream of yours requires two things: a constitution limiting how much power this central government can have and the world population to hold the same morals and values. The former isn't much of a problem to solve. Just pay close attention to the wording and language of the document to ensure it says everything it needs to exactly as it needs to. The latter is where your dream crumbles to dust. Each area of the world has developed their own unique culture with their own set of morals and values. And while all of these cultures may be equal in value, they're not all compatible. Take, for example, Western Civilization and Conservative Islam. Western Civilization sees all persons to have equal and insurmountable worth unless a particular person has committed a heinous crime like rape or cold-blooded murder. Conservative Islam doesn't share this notion. With these people, you get things like grooming gangs. If you want the full list of problems, just look at the state of Europe with its refugees. If you think you can have one central government making decisions for everyone across the globe, holding everyone to the same decisions, without this second part, your world order isn't going to last very long before it completely disbands from all of the infighting that will occur.

Invertere Utopia wrote:Calling my ideas "theories" would be flattering, but I understand you contrast practicality with my beliefs. Alas, I have only hypotheses, and they are practical to me. Had we lived the same life, I believe we would disagree on very little, and that's entirely the problem. Seven billion different individual experiences cannot all be correct. The historically unrivaled, global conversation that is happening shows us how much we have in common, and I believe one prevailing philosophy is fit to guide all the individual lives of our collective species.

Your ideas may be practical under a certain set of circumstances, but under current circumstances, they don't hold up. And I called your ideas theories because they're not proven to work. The problem with having the one centralized philosophy is that you'll have to convince everyone that your ideas are the best out there either by winning debates or applying military force. Applying military force is just going to drop your approval rating forcing the use of more force. And I don't think you want that. Which leaves us with option number one: the debate. How do you convince seven and a half billion individuals, each with their own thoughts and experiences, that your philosophy is the way to go? Because we're not a collective. We don't hold a group mindset. We work together, sure, but each person is their own. Every person, through their experiences, each has their own opinion on what is good and bad, right and wrong. Getting everyone to agree to your ideas is getting people to go against their experiences. All I can say is good luck with that.

Invertere Utopia wrote:Do you think you'd make a good Secretary of Defense? In my infinite wisdom, I found it necessary for everyone around me to be repelled by my whatever-this-is (personality?) and I've not but a single friend (who doesn't really count, because she's my partner and woefully biased in my favor). So filling staffing positions is going to be really difficult. We're going to have to talk about that WMD policy, though.

Planning on running for President some day? I hope you know it's a giant spending spree for "how can I be more popular than the other guy". Starting off with no friends doesn't help but instead hurts. But back to the question now. I can't say if I'd make for a good Secretary of Defense or not since I've never been in the military nor any other force. I can, however, say with certainty that I'd do a much better job than most people in this region. Although in my opinion, that's not really saying much...

Aragonn wrote:I can, however, say with certainty that I'd do a much better job than most people in this region. Although in my opinion, that's not really saying much...

Government needs more humility like this. Sick burn.

This is probably the most sincere response you've ever given me, and I want you to know it means a lot to me—if only by contrast with some rather heavy-handedness in the past. Ha.

The whole reason I think it's possible to persuade people is because I don't think I have some special ability. I think every safe, healthy, secure person would want what I want if they had the time to think about it.

There is the natural problem of not having anything to think about when things are good and well, though. Keeping the idea of evil (in context) alive (to stimulate conversation and philosophical inquiry) is just as good as fear-mongering, and suddenly I sound like everyone else. Once things become the way I want them to be (or close enough) I want to conserve that way of being, especially as to avoid a reversal. On the flip side, instead of scaring people with how bad things could be if they change, I could instead pick a day on the weekend to indoctrinate children into my philosophy. By saying how good things already are, I can encourage the next generations to keep things that way. The early experience of being surrounded by rules, and people obeying those rules, will follow those people into an adult life full of others that might try to convince them to do or think something else.

Damn. I don't like the way that sounds.

If the strongest steel is forged in the hottest flames, what do you do with an Easy-Bake Oven? At some point in the progression toward any idea of perfect good (zero dissonance) the only not-good is going to be youth rebellion.

So we take away the rights of young people until a certain age.

I'm going to go figure out whether I'm writing this because it's how things are set up around me, or because it stands on its own merit. And then how to fix that, or at least a better way to do it. Also, work.

Aragonn wrote:
She said she'd be back in a couple of weeks. Last we heard from her was a month ago. Ergo something has happened which either prevents or dissuades her from returning. I'm no psyker, but I do have the ability to determine possible scenarios and their likelihood based off of previous information provided on life events. The most likely scenario is getting tied up with making sure her schooling moves forward as planned. After that is emotional trauma from family over her personal decisions.

I assume that she's just busy due to schooling. Though she has completely forgotten about the rp in the past, so that could be what happened this time.

Invertere Utopia wrote:This is probably the most sincere response you've ever given me, and I want you to know it means a lot to me—if only by contrast with some rather heavy-handedness in the past. Ha.

I'm always completely honest. Unless I'm being sarcastic. But I don't like making light of serious conversation and debate, so I'm just being completely honest. I am a bit gruff with the way I handle things, but that just ties into the personality that is me.

Invertere Utopia wrote:The whole reason I think it's possible to persuade people is because I don't think I have some special ability. I think every safe, healthy, secure person would want what I want if they had the time to think about it.

I'm sure everyone wants the basics: safety, food, water, shelter, and comfort. It's how we aquire these things, the method by which the outcomes are produced, which people fail to agree upon.

Invertere Utopia wrote:There is the natural problem of not having anything to think about when things are good and well, though. Keeping the idea of evil (in context) alive (to stimulate conversation and philosophical inquiry) is just as good as fear-mongering, and suddenly I sound like everyone else. Once things become the way I want them to be (or close enough) I want to conserve that way of being, especially as to avoid a reversal. On the flip side, instead of scaring people with how bad things could be if they change, I could instead pick a day on the weekend to indoctrinate children into my philosophy. By saying how good things already are, I can encourage the next generations to keep things that way. The early experience of being surrounded by rules, and people obeying those rules, will follow those people into an adult life full of others that might try to convince them to do or think something else.

Damn. I don't like the way that sounds.

You shouldn't like the way that sounds. You're talking about a completely authoritarian government controlling people's thoughts and scaring them into thinking things will be so much worse if they try doing anything other than what your government says to do. That's wrong on so many levels. Stealing the free spirit from people and turning them into State puppets is horrid. You should be ashamed of uttering these notions.

Invertere Utopia wrote:If the strongest steel is forged in the hottest flames, what do you do with an Easy-Bake Oven? At some point in the progression toward any idea of perfect good (zero dissonance) the only not-good is going to be youth rebellion.

So we take away the rights of young people until a certain age.

That's the thing. You don't turn things into an Easy Bake oven. You need people competing to be the best, and you need parents (Yes, parents. Not parent. You need both for healthy minds.) to ensure that their children are hardened and forged correctly to enter into that competition. This, as we've come to find out, is not the hottest flames but instead a specific method of temperament. Some heat with some chill. This method should be used with children to form the sharpest minds and toughest bodies.

Remember, we're trying to make progress. Progress isn't made if there is nothing to drive people to make it. The ultimate goal of having all of our needs taken care of, essentially living in a Utopia, is unobtainable. However, we can strive for further progress through our evolution as a people.

Forum View

Advertisement