“He who allows oppression shares the crime. ”
|Category: Corporate Bordello|
Regional Influence: Ambassador
Location: The United States
The ✪ Free State ✪ of Topid is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Alex Corvis with a fair hand, and remarkable for its sprawling nuclear power plants. The hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 11.546 billion Topeses are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
There is no government in the normal sense of the word; however, a small group of community-minded, corrupt, pro-business individuals is effectively ruled by the Department of Commerce, with areas such as Social Equality and Social Welfare receiving almost no funds by comparison. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Crow City. Income tax is unheard of. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Book Publishing industries.
Truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news, an IT mega-corporation has a patent pending on the rectangle, groups of three or more trees are cut down in the name of 'child safety', and military funding has been stripped back. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling. Topid's national animal is the Crow, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Heartagrism, and its currency is the dollar.
Most Recent Government Activity: 9 hours ago
- 8 hours ago: Topid was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Rebellious Youth.
- 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Topid, military funding has been stripped back.
- 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Topid, groups of three or more trees are cut down in the name of 'child safety'.
- 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Topid, an IT mega-corporation has a patent pending on the rectangle.
- 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Topid, truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news.
- 9 hours ago: Following new legislation in Topid, a recent political debate came to a quick close once the ruling party decreed it was "just plain silly".
- 14 hours ago: Topid changed its national demonym to "Topes".
- 15 hours ago: Topid voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend McMasterdonia".
- 15 hours ago: Topid voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Child Pornography Ban".
- 15 hours ago: Topid was admitted to the World Assembly.
Endorsements Received: None.