Improving the World One Resolution at a Time
The oldest Council of the World Assembly, the General Assembly concerns itself with international law. Its resolutions are applied immediately upon passing in all WA member nations.
Resolution At Vote
GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION AT VOTE
Right to Adequate Shelter
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.
Category: Human Rights
Proposed by: Talkistan
Description: The World Assembly,
Believing that the having a home that provides adequate shelter is a right that should be available to all people,
Realizing that many people across the world are either without shelter, or subsist in grossly inadequate shelters,
Feeling that member nations should work to eradicate the problems of homelessness and inadequate housing,
2. Declares that a deliberate attempt to violate anyone's right to adequate shelter shall be illegal. This exempts situations when such an action is essential to the administration of justice which is otherwise compliant with the WA, or to the mitigation of an extreme threat to either national security or the nation's general populace.
3.Requires each nation to assess the needs of its populace and available resources while making national and local guidelines on adequate shelter and establish the minimum criteria for a shelter to meet the definition of adequate for that nation's people.
4. Encourages every nation to help make available the best possible affordable shelter for every legal resident. This may include (but is not limited to) providing housing benefits, subsidizing building materials, or providing government-sponsored shelters, especially to those who are unable to adequately house themselves.
5. Strongly encourages nations to extend the right to adequate shelter to refugees and stateless individuals within their borders and act in coordination with each other and international organizations to satisfy non-citizens' housing needs.
6. Encourages nations to work with each other and share technologies and resources to improve the quality, standards and affordability of shelters.
7. Mandates that nations ensure the right to adequate shelter while making national laws concerning eviction of tenants, expropriation of land or buildings and any other law that deals with housing or directly influences the availability of adequate shelter.
Votes For: 2,589 (45%)
Votes Against: 3,228 (55%)
Voting Ends: in 3 days 8 hours
Debate this resolution in the General Assembly forum.
The General Assembly resolution Repeal "Cultural Heritage Protection" was passed 8,859 votes to 3,166.
Proposals are suggestions for resolutions. Any WA member nation with at least two endorsements may make a proposal, which, if it gains the necessary support, will become a resolution.