The United Socialist States of Anostas is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by Tom Bycky with an iron fist, and remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, frequent executions, and ubiquitous missile silos. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 1.193 billion Anostasians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The medium-sized, corrupt, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Administration. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Mexico city. The average income tax rate is 49.0%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Anostasian economy, worth 57.7 trillion Bloods a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, broadly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Retail, Uranium Mining, and Beef-Based Agriculture. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 48,383 Bloods, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
An increasing number of citizens believe the world is flat, group photos of the members of parliament are often mistaken for family reunions, warfare increasingly resembles a video game, and conspiracy theorists allege that the government is spying on them through their carbon monoxide detectors. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Anostas's national animal is the Lion, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Anostas was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Unexpected Death Rate.
- : Anostas was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Corrupt Governments.
- : Anostas was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Fattest Citizens.
- : Anostas's influence in Antaras fell from "Truckler" to "Vassal".
- : Anostas's influence in Antaras rose from "Vassal" to "Truckler".
- : Following new legislation in Anostas, conspiracy theorists allege that the government is spying on them through their carbon monoxide detectors.
- : Anostas published "Anostas species nuclear weapons" (Factbook: Military).
- : Following new legislation in Anostas, warfare increasingly resembles a video game.
- : Anostas's influence in Antaras rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".
- : The Republic of Abasik dismissed Anostas as Vice-Delegate of Antaras.