The Dominion of Root is a gargantuan, orderly nation, ruled by Guru with an iron fist, and notable for its museums and concert halls, aversion to nipples, and strictly enforced bedtime. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 16.924 billion Rootians are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The enormous, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Administration, Education, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Codebase. The average income tax rate is 76.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Rootian economy, worth a remarkable 2,231 trillion Euros a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is an enormous, deeply entrenched, fairly diversified black market in Uranium Mining, Furniture Restoration, Basket Weaving, and Arms Manufacturing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 131,847 Euros, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.3 times as much as the poorest.
Research grant proposals read like political diatribes, the nation is under martial law, cinemas play art-house movies to ever-shrinking audiences as film critics rule the industry, and the government's approval ratings go down while its turnover rate goes up. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Root's national animal is the Penguin, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to heavy metals seepage into national waterways, and its national religion is CodeGods.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Root, the government's approval ratings go down while its turnover rate goes up.
- : Following new legislation in Root, cinemas play art-house movies to ever-shrinking audiences as film critics rule the industry.
- : Following new legislation in Root, the nation is under martial law.
- : Root was reclassified from "Father Knows Best State" to "Iron Fist Consumerists".
- : Following new legislation in Root, research grant proposals read like political diatribes.
- : Following new legislation in Root, dangerous criminals are often 'accidentally' sent on one-way trips to Maxtopia.
- : Following new legislation in Root, agriculture is heavily subsidized by the government.
- : Following new legislation in Root, museums occasionally burn priceless artifacts in order to intimidate foreign curators.
- : Following new legislation in Root, male cubicle workers stand up every time a woman enters the room.
- : Following new legislation in Root, five-year-olds chanting "Little Miss Muffet" are accused of bullying arachnophobes.