by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .258259260261262263264265266»

Minas Arnor wrote:Sorry if that was a bit long, another thing that I want to mention is there is a YouTube channel called Nerd of the Rings that I absolutely love, this person researches all these crazy subjects from all published books from the base trilogy to the Silmarillion and back, I think some of you guys would like him.

I only heard about Nerd of the Rings recently, and I'm completely hooked on the series now - they're a great snapshot of a lot of information from the series, and the editing is really well done, from my perspective anyway. I'll have to check out The Tolkien Professor too, as Dwarf has mentioned. I'm always looking for more material that I can get my hands on, though I quite like how some elements of the world are left unexplained for us to question.

Bombadil wrote:The Hobbit, first book, fine.. it's an easy read, then I probably read the trilogy a little young - it was a slog, so really it was The Silmarillion that really captured me and made me read the trilogy again.

I've seen some of them, but I think the Tolkien professor is better.

I haven't heard of him before, I'll have to check him out.

Bombadil wrote:The Hobbit, first book, fine.. it's an easy read, then I probably read the trilogy a little young - it was a slog, so really it was The Silmarillion that really captured me and made me read the trilogy again.

Interesting. I think you may be the first person I've heard say that it was "The Silmarillion" which first captured their imagination, resulting in then going back and getting into LotR. I can definitely see how it could be the case, but I would imagine it is not common.

Emyn Arnen wrote:I'll have to check out The Tolkien Professor too, as Dwarf has mentioned. I'm always looking for more material that I can get my hands on, though I quite like how some elements of the world are left unexplained for us to question.

I'll just say, my memory is that his discussions do not tend toward over-explanation or pedantry. He's more than willing to retain the wonder and mystery of some aspect of Tolkien's world. For instance, I don't believe he came down hard on one particular side of "The Bombadil Question," rather employing his extensive knowledge of all of Tolkien's other writings to provide a more full view of the topic.

Hello, I’m new here

Atheleian wrote:Hello, I’m new here

Hello, New Here. I'm Dwarf.

I’ve read LotR (of course :-), the Hobbit, the Silmarillion and the Fall of Gondolin.

Dwarf wrote:If I may ask, what's your story for how you got into the works of Tolkien?

For me, my father read "The Hobbit" to my brother and I when we were quite young. We enjoyed it so much that, over the following many years, he continued with the "Lord of the Rings" books, which we enjoyed even more as we aged and became able to appreciate the more mature subjects. I believe I was ~11 years old when we eventually bailed on "The Silmarillion," which we had attempted to continue on with...just a bit too dry for a youngster.

Well, my mother had a Russian edition of LOTR from 1992 which I did not know about(with a bald Gandalf on the FoTR cover), as well as the hobbit in Russian. However, i didnt read those first. I was at a bookshop at the age of 12 when my mother suggested i buy LoTR, I thought it was a good idea and bought it and read through all of the trilogy in around 3 months(the prologues and concerning hobbits were very confusing, but i got through all of the rest in around 2 months). Then, I read the hobbit. Currently I am kind of a loremaster, planning to read HoME for a long time XD. I also read the russian versions just for interest in december

Minas Arnor wrote:Sorry if that was a bit long, another thing that I want to mention is there is a YouTube channel called Nerd of the Rings that I absolutely love, this person researches all these crazy subjects from all published books from the base trilogy to the Silmarillion and back, I think some of you guys would like him.

yes, hes a very good youtuber when it comes to explaining subjects

FrodoBaggins wrote:Well, my mother had a Russian edition of LOTR from 1992 which I did not know about(with a bald Gandalf on the FoTR cover), as well as the hobbit in Russian. However, i didnt read those first. I was at a bookshop at the age of 12 when my mother suggested i buy LoTR, I thought it was a good idea and bought it and read through all of the trilogy in around 3 months(the prologues and concerning hobbits were very confusing, but i got through all of the rest in around 2 months). Then, I read the hobbit. Currently I am kind of a loremaster, planning to read HoME for a long time XD. I also read the russian versions just for interest in december
yes, hes a very good youtuber when it comes to explaining subjects

That's interesting with a Russian edition. Where did she get it?

Minas Arnor wrote:That's interesting with a Russian edition. Where did she get it?

Well I'm Russian, and in the 1980s-1990s during the fall of the soviet union tolkien books first started being published, when she bought the book she was at university, and it was very popular among the people of her age. I also borrowed the Silmarillion in Russian from my uncle who liked lotr, and I even discussed it with him when i was first reading the books

FrodoBaggins wrote:Well I'm Russian, and in the 1980s-1990s during the fall of the soviet union tolkien books first started being published, when she bought the book she was at university, and it was very popular among the people of her age. I also borrowed the Silmarillion in Russian from my uncle who liked lotr, and I even discussed it with him when i was first reading the books

That's really cool, also are all Tolkien books published in Russian or are there some still pending where you live?

Minas Arnor wrote:That's really cool, also are all Tolkien books published in Russian or are there some still pending where you live?

Well i don't know since i read the books in english, but i know that at least the hobbit, lotr and the silmarillion were published

Hello! I am Onfande, new emissary for Middle Earth from 10000 Islands. Here are the most recent reports from XKI.

 

 


Stats of the Month:

Date: January, 2022| Population: 2074 nations| Delegate Endorsement: 458 endorsements

Table of Contents

~Around the Islands

~Islander Achievements

~XKI Gameside

~Meet the Nation

~The World Assembly


About the Emissary Report

The 10KI Update is a monthly report about the regional happenings of XKI made by the Blue Canaria North Senator and the Deputy BCN Senator (currently vacant). Stay tuned for any updates!


More XKI!

Forum: Link10000islands.proboards.com

Discord: Linkdiscord.gg/4uWZbNS

January TIBOE Update

January TITO Update

Interested in XKI? All of our Foreign Affairs dispatches will be published by 10000 Islands Foreign Affairs, and posted in our embassy thread!

TITO Command

Has your region been invaded, or do you want to get in touch with TITO? If so, contact one of the following nations:

~Chief Executive: Hakketomat

~Field Commander: Kanta Hame

~Tactical Officers: Smugglers and Mercs (TITO EF), Controlitia, Wischland, Sulenia, Flying Eagles, Thedairos

~Executive Officers: HN67, Eastern New England


Government

As of this report's publication, the Government of 10000 Islands consists of:

~Chief Executive: Hakketomat

~WA Delegate: Wischland

~Senior Senator for Lyonnesse East (Houses): Aschente

~Senator for New Republica South (Debates and Discussions): Liberdon

~Senator for Himes West (Role Play): AxeCapital

~Senator for Blue Canaria North (Emissary Report): Mrhermit

~Minister of Education: Porflox

~Minister of Labor: Wille-Harlia

~Minister of Immigration: Markanite

Information about other government officials of 10000 Islands can be found Linkhere.


Around the Islands

~The poet Lauerate competition was held this month with several submissions, congratulation to the winner The Union Empire with their entry “Determined”. To read all the wonderful submissions head Link here.

~The highly successful Interwar rp was held this month on the rp section of the XKI discord. Interwar was focused on RP’s nations recovery and development between WW1 and WW2. It was fascinating to watch the rise and fall of nations as they navigated their way through the treacherous times of the 20’s and 30’s.

~ The werewolf 75 game was held in the forums this month. Commiserations to the wolves for being unable to bring down Walmart due to the diligence of the Walmart staff. For a more detailed view of the game head Link to his thread.


Islander Achievements

~Well done to Porflox and Zaberaz Hapang for becoming Tito knights.

~Congratulations to Meropis for winning Tacovision V with their wonderful song The River by AURORA


XKI Game-Side

This month our favorite Regional Pollster, Jabberwocky, brought us another fantastic poll; the first one asked Islanders who will win the super bowl.

In the first poll, there were 152 voters, of which 31 (20.40%) said Rams, Stafford Gang in full force, 23 (15.13%) jumped on the hype train that was the Bengals, 81 (53.28%) people said with true British spirit “Sorry, old chap, but three dimensional chess is more appealing, wot?” And 17 (11.18%) said “Ha! I’d rather watch paint dry”

Well with the Rams winning the Super Bowl there was quite a few correct predictions, but really the winners of this poll have to be the three dimensional chess enthusiasts.

- Well, And now after reading, scanning, and thorough research of the grand total of 263 RMB pages I hereby present to you the most hilarious, noteworthy or just plain ridiculous taken out of context messages…. Please somebody read them and make my hours of effort worthwhile. It would really really make my month.

~ kakorrhaphiophobia.... somebody get me a dictionary

~ We have ancients among us

~ I feel the pain

~ Three baffling statements

~ scratches head


Meet The Nation

This month our Emissary Udpate staff interviewed the incredible, rping, nation from down under Droganstein.
Mr Hermit: First off, how did you join NationStates and what made you pick XKI as a region?
Droganstein: A friend told me about Nationstates in a discord server and told me to join XKI.
Mr Hermit:What’s your favourite part about XKI as a region?
Droganstein: My favourite part is roleplaying.
Mr Hermit: I assume you took part in the recent interwar rp?
Droganstein: Yes I did.
Mr Hermit: What type of nation did you rp in Interwar?
Droganstein: My nation was Australia and it was a chaotic nation focused on national security.
MrHermit: Well, that is about all I have for you, anything you would like to finish off on?
Droganstein: Praise the almighty god Kante Hame.
MrHermit: Thanks for your time.


Hope to see you all next month, your XKI Update Staff is signing off!

Mrhermit

Read dispatch

TITO Update – February 2022

TITO Command

Has your region been invaded, or do you want to get in touch with TITO? If so, contact one of the following nations:
~Commander-in-Chief: Hakketomat
~Field Commander: Kanta Hame
~Tactical Officers: Smugglers and Mercs (TITO EF), Controlitia, Wischland, Sulenia, Flying Eagles, Thedairos
~Executive Officers: HN67, Eastern New England

The Update Update

Although it was only 28 days, the month of February was a long and busy one! TITO members deployed for ten defenses, three liberations, and five detags. However, most of the month was spent in various long-lasting missions including assisting in TSP’s delegate transition and helping natives clean up in several regions. Even in their off-time, TITO members had plenty to do with the newly-introduced TITO Squad Competitions. Troops were divided into three teams and given various tasks, including art design competitions, tech work, plus good old defending! Their first major activity was to design the first-ever TITO flag! Check back in next month to see the final result. But for now, check out the teams and their logos below!

Monthly Memes

Update chat had some good jokes this past month!

TITO Interview

This month, we sat down to talk with TITO’s resident coding genius HN67 for the inside scoop on the life of a Technical Liaison.

Wisch: To start us off, how long have you been involved in coding and what first got you into it?
HN67: I've really been coding since late elementary, when I got into making little games / just messing around with something called GameMaker, and then in junior high I experimented a lot with batch scripting and something called Scratch. I made a lot of text-based adventure-ish things on the command line (by heavily abusing batch scripts) and various games on Scratch.
Wisch: That's quite a long time! How do you think those skills transferred over to you TL work?
HN67: Well it's made me always be quite comfortable with computers, so it was pretty natural when I started learning more powerful programming languages like python in high school. And I think the ability to explore / try out things is super valuable
Wisch: As Technical Liaison, you help code programs to improve TITO performance, along with other scripts for general NS usage. What has been your favorite project thus far?
HN67: Tough question. My favorite project is probably my API wrapper, but its a extremely broad project. A significant portion of my NS related programming has been connected with role as XO, in automating large / lengthy portions of various duties. Yeah I would say my API wrapper is my favorite project, cause its been a lot of fun to work on the actual core of the project, and then its really very extensible; I've used it to write an autologin, endotarter, card scripts, etc.
Wisch: I've certainly found it very helpful! And about how long have you spent on your API wrapper thus far?
HN67: Its hard to say; I started working on it over two years ago when I wanted to streamline endotarting for myself. I wouldn't be surprised if I have spent at least in the hundreds of hours range over two years
Wisch: Well, we thank you for your dedication. For our final question, what would you recommend to anyone looking to get into NS coding?
HN67: The main thing if you are trying to get into something is to have actual motivation, a project that you want to accomplish. Almost all of my programs have grown out of wanting to make something concrete, like an endotarter aid. The NS coding community is pretty welcoming too, so don't be afraid to ask others for advice; when I was getting started with NS coding that cards/coding community overlap was pretty active and helpful.

Until next month, this is your TITO Update Staff signing off - Wischland

Read dispatch

Greetings all,

As many other regions in NationStates are using Discord for chat between its members, we would like to see if this is something that is helpful for our own members and for Activity. With the help of our esteemed friend FrodoBaggins, he has set up a part of a Discord server for our region for NationStates chat, in-theme Tolkien chat and for Roleplays.

This is momentarily a work in progress and we will see if it will get incorporated officially into the region, at a later time.

If any of you are using Discord, please let me know if this is something that interests you, or if there is any improvement you can think of regarding the server. FrodoBaggins can also offer more help regarding this, including possible future roleplay projects and ideas.

I think that’ll be nice to have

I use discord in a couple regions, albeit begrudgingly :P I'll join but probably won't be very active on it, as I just don't prefer the platform. However, it certainly does facilitate communication. For instance, it's a great substitute for group telegrams.

According to today’s statistics(trout fishing) fishing is very popular in Mordor

Really? I wasn't aware that there were fish in lake Nurnen in southern Mordor. What's next, the biggest agriculture sector in Forodwaith?

Minas Arnor wrote:Really? I wasn't aware that there were fish in lake Nurnen in southern Mordor. What's next, the biggest agriculture sector in Forodwaith?

well looks like you created cars

Touche :).

Tatarica wrote:Greetings all,

As many other regions in NationStates are using Discord for chat between its members, we would like to see if this is something that is helpful for our own members and for Activity. With the help of our esteemed friend FrodoBaggins, he has set up a part of a Discord server for our region for NationStates chat, in-theme Tolkien chat and for Roleplays.

This is momentarily a work in progress and we will see if it will get incorporated officially into the region, at a later time.

If any of you are using Discord, please let me know if this is something that interests you, or if there is any improvement you can think of regarding the server. FrodoBaggins can also offer more help regarding this, including possible future roleplay projects and ideas.

A Discord server would help me remember this region exists, but I'm not joining a non-NS server. Make an actual server for the region, then I'll join.

(The WFE doesn't even say the whole server isn't for the NS region.)

Smeagollum wrote:A Discord server would help me remember this region exists, but I'm not joining a non-NS server. Make an actual server for the region, then I'll join.

(The WFE doesn't even say the whole server isn't for the NS region.)

alright

I have an announcement to make. I leave NS and resign from my RO positions and close down all rps going on under my control for personal reasons. Tatarica. A special thanks to all of you. This has been a good run! Farewell! Remember, the road goes ever on and on!

get april fooled

Wow, you actually got me there FrodoBaggins!

Good thing that I only checked my nation one time yesterday :p

I was also fooled, Frodo... Bilbo would be disappointed :P

You can't go to Valinor just yet, you have to wait for us to catch up first!

«12. . .258259260261262263264265266»

Advertisement