January 1946 - Pyongyang, Democratic People's Republic of Korea
| 북한 중앙 뉴스 권위자-위대한 지도자의 위대한 개혁! |
| DPRK CENTRAL NEWS AUTHORITY - THE GREAT LEADER'S GREAT REFORMS! |
| The Great Leader, since founding our great country, has been doing all that he can to ensure that the Korean people are taken care of. Great Comrade, Kim Il-sung established the central government's new education ministry, tasked by the Great Leader with providing education to all of the citizens of the DPRK. Chairman Kim Il-sung, our Great Leader, says that it is important for the health of the country and its people for everyone to receive the same quality education.
This comes a few weeks after the Great Leader established the national healthcare service, free and readily available to all DPRK citizens. The Great Leader stressed that it is important for all DPRK citizens to have access to good healthcare and medical care for all men, women, children, and the elderly of Korea.
Syngman Rhee, who falsely claims to be the President of Korea in the southern occupied lands called our Great Leader many horrible things. Comrade Kim Il-sung, in his ever great fashion, simply laughed at these remarks. Comrade Kim Il-sung, always promoting the hard-working, ever happy spirit of the Korean people, said that Mr. Rhee will never lead all of Korea and that his false government will only stand in the way of true progress for the Korean people.
Our Great Leader knows all about true progress for the Korean people, after fighting endlessly in the war against the Imperialist Japanese Empire. Comrade Kim Il-sung fought for many long months against the Imperialists, fighting for every-day and ordinary Korean citizens. As Our Great Leader will continue to lead us into tomorrow, we know that we have a true friend in our midst, someone who cares for not a few, but all of his people!
오래 살다 김일성! 조선 민주주의 인민 공화국! |
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE STATE OF HANNOVER
Representatives of the British Government & British Forces Germany (BFG) have finally made proposed changes to the occupation zone Official. All of the British Occupation Zone except the British Sector in Berlin has been reformed into the State of Hannover, a British-styled Constitutional monarchy with King George VI as Head of State. General Sir Richard Loudon McCreery has been assigned as the first Military Governor of Hannover, and as such will oversee all democratic votes and movements and give them approval as needed (or block them if so wished by the British Government). Britain attempted to justify the move considering that the area was under British control in the past, and that Hannover itself was a State under the leadership of many British Monarchs. Between 1714 & 1837 the British Coat of Arms had in fact included the Saxon Steed (symbol for Hannover). Hannover shall be permitted to vote for three separate Political Parties imposed by the British Occupation Forces, to ensure that neither Communist or Fascist Parties achieve influence once more (Fascist Movements in Germany were accelerated during the 20s & 30s due to militant communist movements).
FLAG OF HANNOVER : https://i.imgur.com/3TkPqJX.png
Tune : https://youtu.be/0IaUm1de3hU
Heil Dir Hannover, heil!
Freude werd’ Dir zuteil,
Freude stets mehr.
Jauchze, Du Engels-Chor,
dringe zu Gottes Ohr!
Mit Deinem Freudenchor:
Gebt Gott die Ehr’!
Gott gab den Freudentag,
was tief verborgen lag,
kam nun ans Licht.
Zage nicht, Erdensohn,
wenn schwarz die Wolken droh’n,
Gott hält auf seinem Thron
Waag und Gewicht
Er führt alles aus,
schützt unser Welfenhaus
mit mächt’gem Arm.
Eintracht ist Gottes Band:
König und Vaterland
reichen sich Herz und Hand
heilig und warm.
Hail to thee Hanover, hail!
Unto thee, joy bestowed,
Cry out, You angelic choir,
Penetrate to God's ear!
With your joyous chorus:
Unto God all honor!
God gave the joyous day
What lay hidden deep
Now comes to the light
Be dismayed not, son of earth
If the black clouds threaten
God on his throne has
Balance and weight.
All deeds He performs
Protects our Welfen house
With a mighty arm
Concord of God's band
King and Fatherland
Submit themselves heart and hand
Holy and warm.
Special terms imposed upon the State of Hannover are designed to ensure that it never rises again as a military or Industrial Power, with the secondary purpose to assist Britain in rebuilding its Economy. Those terms are as follows :
- Heavy Industries capable of producing Aircraft, Vehicles or Machinery are not permitted.
- Items banned under the above term can only be imported from Great Britain, and must be sourced from British firms.
- Hannover is restricted to a total Military Force of 60,000 Men.
- Only three Political Parties may exist within the Nation : Die Hannover Partei (Conservative), Die Nationale Partei(Centre-Right) & Die Socialdemokratische Partei (Centre-Left).
- All decisions made by the State of Hannover must be checked and approved by the British Military Governor (including Referendums & decrees).
- De-nazification measures must be undertaken by both the regional Government and the British Occupation Force, with all cooperation guaranteed to Great Britain.
- All Naval production facilities shall be established under a singular British entity, the "Dockyards Commission - Hannover" which shall oversee production and sale and ensure that no secretive rebuilding of Warships occurs. Profits shall be shared on a 50/50 basis between Britain and the State of Hannover/The Naval Company in Question.
- The State of Hannover shall be considered a British Protectorate, and all Citizens therein coined British Subjects.
- Britain is guaranteed permanent access to the State of Hannover, both in terms of Civilian & Military movement.
- Hannover shall align itself with the British System of Imperial Preference, establishing the same tariffs on non-Imperial Nations and favouring trade with Great Britain itself.
CONCLUSION OF THE NUREMBERG TRIALS
As the Nuremberg Trials draw to a close (Earlier than IRL) with the Verdicts of the Major War Criminals now chosen, these must be carried out in a timely manner, with those few who were acquitted now permitted to rejoin civilian life (after attending a de-Nazification class). Britain (along with the Soviet Union) voted guilty on almost all cases and refused to budge on that stance, with Erich Raeder being one of the few where the British Judge was convinced to allow him to be shot by firing squad rather than hung. Admiral Raeder was convicted on all three counts [1 (concerted plan or conspiracy), count 2 (crimes against peace) and count 3 (war crimes)] and it was due to him being found Guilty that Admiral Dönitz was acquitted (Raeder served as Dönitz's superior officer and thus the order not to save survivors at sea fell in his lap).
The French delegation along with the British managed to secure the acquittal of Generaloberst Alfred Jodl, whom both the Americans and Soviets quite fiercely wanted to convict. The main reason for French and British refusal to convict was that the American and Soviet delegations claimed to be doing so based on Evidence they had been shown, however such Evidence was never shown at the Trial itself and therefore the existence of it came into serious doubt. Both the Americans and Soviets also refused to share this apparent Evidence with the defence, which the French Henri Donnedieu de Vabres described as a mockery of all forms of justice. (IRL Jodl was found guilty and hung, the dissent by France did also occur IRL and Jodl was found posthumously innocent by a West German denazification in 1953, this was before the United States put pressure on that very same court to revoked the innocent stance which it then did.)
Further disagreement surrounded the conviction of Albert Speer, with America fiercely fighting to have him acquitted while the other three powers pointed out that he was solely in charge of the German War Industry in the final (and most brutal) years of slave labour. In the end the views of the other three Powers could not be changed by America, who attempted to pressure its British Ally at multiple stages. It was the view of the British Goeffrey Lawrence that to let Speer get away with single-handedly masterminding the extremely efficient (and barbaric) Nazi system of slave labour while sentencing those who sent them to that system would be to pervert justice in the highest degree. It was argued by Speers defence that he was unaware of the camps in which millions were killed, yet no ounce of believability was to be found in the statement as it was he who organised the transportation of hundreds of thousands of slave labourers from those very same camps.
Only two individuals were not present at the Trial, those being Martin Bormann (His whereabouts being unknown) & Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach, who went senile years before the end of the war and thus was found medically unfit for trial. If Krupp were to have been present it was likely he would have been found guilty as his Company was responsible for producing many war-goods such as U-boats, battleships, howitzers, trains, railway guns, machine guns, cars, tanks etc.
Martin Bormann – Guilty, sentenced in absentia to death by hanging.
Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach – Medically unfit for trial
Erich Raeder – sentenced to death by firing Squad
Robert Ley – Committed suicide before his trial began
Hermann Göring – sentenced to death by hanging, committed suicide before execution.
Hans Frank – sentenced to death by hanging
Wilhelm Frick – sentenced to death by hanging
Hans Fritzsche – sentenced to death by hanging
Walther Funk – sentenced to death by hanging
Rudolf Hess – sentenced to death by hanging
Ernst Kaltenbrunner – sentenced to death by hanging
Wilhelm Keitel – sentenced to death by hanging
Konstantin von Neurath – sentenced to death by hanging
Franz von Papen – sentenced to death by hanging
Joachim von Ribbentrop – sentenced to death by hanging
Alfred Rosenberg – sentenced to death by hanging
Fritz Sauckel – sentenced to death by hanging
Baldur von Schirach – sentenced to death by hanging
Arthur Seyss-Inquart – sentenced to death by hanging
Albert Speer – sentenced to death by hanging
Julius Streicher – sentenced to death by hanging
ʻAHA ALIʻI ANNOUNCES FIRST FIVE YEAR PLAN
- 17 January 1946
- In the first organized meeting of the ʻAha Aliʻi, a group of eight Kings, Queens, and Governors, along with their Premiers, who exert control over Ke Kapa ʻEhu Kai's eight provinces, since the beginning of the Second World War and the tragic death of former Queen Kaʻiulani in 1939, the rulers announced Ke Kapa ʻEhu Kai's first Five Year Plan for economic development across the country whilst promoting social equity and national identity. The plan component parts and details are as follows -
- National Identity
- In the interest of further developing and maintaining a unique national identity, the Plan will firmly promote internal migration to better reflect the ethnic and cultural diversity of Hawaiʻi across all eight provinces. The implementation of this plan will be conducted through the introduction of financial, social housing, educational, and opportunity benefits to those individuals, families, and clans who migrate from their home islands to areas dominated by other ethnic and cultural groups. These benefits will include a reduction in taxation for those born outside the province in which they live, in the awarding of contracts to private companies, the provision of welfare, social services, and housing benefits, the government will act in accordance with affirmative action principles in favor of the Keikipapa, especially non-local Keikipapa. The government will promote pro-Hawaiʻi sentiments through the spread of the Hawaiʻian language, religion, and cultural beliefs, along with the institution of a national pledge of allegiance to be said daily in all national schools and workplaces, which will read: "Our country, Hawaiʻi, aspires to achieve a greater unity for all her peoples. To achieve this greater unity, we, the people of Hawaiʻi, pledge our loyalty to our Aliʻi Nui Ululani, our country, and motherland, and pledge our belief in God, the supremacy of our laws and customs, and pledge to act as one with our Hawaiʻian brothers and sisters." Further, it shall be the duty of the country to ensure that every inhabited island has at least one issue of the national flag flying each and every day, with every governmental and official building being compelled to fly one to inspire national unity. This government also proclaims the Sedition Act as law, criminalizing speech with a seditious tendency, including that which would bring into hatred or contempt or to excite disaffection against the government or engender feelings of ill-will and hostility between different races and cultures.
- In the interest of greater economic development and diversification of industries (particularly away from fish as the nations main export), the government will begin expanding and promoting farming of crops across the country (most notably yams, pineapples, taro, bananas, coconuts, and vanilla), the government will also push funding towards the industrialization and development of mining on several islands, with industrial activities to be prioritized on islands of higher populations (with a particular focus on textiles and basic machinery) and mining operations to increase particularly on Nauru. In order to promote Keikipapa ownership of industries, the government will also purchase controlling stakes in (or found) companies competing in predominantly non-Keikipapa industries, particularly insurance, trading, construction, properties, engineering, securities, and mining and will grant monopolies to these new state-owned enterprises. The plan also seeks to increase foreign investment and tourism opportunities, especially from the United States, Australia, and Japan, whose markets are the most primed to visit and see Hawaiʻi's vast white sand beaches and clear blue waters. Overall, this plan seeks to greatly diversify the Hawaiʻian economy so that in the decades to come, not only will Hawaiʻi be able to economically provide for its people, but that it will also be able to stand tall and proud with today's economic and political superpowers.
Education, Health, and Social Services
- For education, the government will now push funding into establishing on every island with a population over one-hundred, a primary school with locally procured staff, and for every island with a population over two-hundred, a secondary school (or combined primary and secondary school), so as to ensure that even in extremely rural communities, children's education is assured. The language of instruction for primary and secondary schools shall be the local language, the Hawaiʻian language (if it is not local to the area), and if possible, English. In order to train these new teachers, it shall be the goal of the government to train prospective teachers at eleven Teacher Education Centers. As for higher educational opportunities, the government will found and fund a correspondence based university, the University of Oceania, which shall be made free of cost and available to all students residing in the nation. In the field of medicine, the state will begin funding domestic and even foreign medical professionals to provide basic health services to islands lacking self-established medical institutions (including those dependent on clinics and hospitals operated by the Catholic Church). The state will also begin subsidizing the cost of the nations two formal medical schools located at the University of Hawaiʻi and the University of Kāmaki Makaurau. To assist with poverty on islands across the country, the government will begin the creation and implementation of the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program, which will provide monetary assistance to families in need, while also introducing the Nutrition Assistance Program (NAP) with the goal of reducing the real poverty rate across the country from 43% down to 17% after the implementation of these programs. On particularly densely populated islands (particularly in the country's core in Oʻahu, Upolu, and Nukilani), the government will begin organizing and promoting social housing councils with the goal of providing safe and affordable housing to all Hawaiʻians by the conclusion of the Third Hawaiʻi Plan in 1961.
- In the interest of expanding economic opportunities and access to other communities, it is the goal of the government to dramatically increase infrastructure capabilities across the country. In Hawaiʻi and Nukilani in particular, the government will begin the development and issuance of government grants to develop railroads for public transportation as well as commercial and industrial development. On all islands, the development of road infrastructure and ports will be a strong priority of the government, as well as the construction of bridges between close islands (such as between Koror and Babeldaob in Komohana). For the purpose of ensuring transportation opportunities between islands and the provinces, the government will also establish a state-owned corporation to run passenger vessels and ferries countrywide at a net-loss (to be branded Kapa-Waʻapā). Additionally, the government will establish a nationwide ʻOihana Leka (ʻOL) which plans provide postal services at no cost to the general public on the sending and receiving of domestic letters and charging low prices for the sending of international letters as well as packages of all kinds. To further the promotion of the new mail service, the government will enter a contract with the Sears Corporation to introduce the Sears Catalogue to Hawaiʻian consumers. The government also plans to begin funding provinces and local governments in their provision of freshwater and sanitation services on all inhabited islands, with this plan holding the goal to provide all Hawaiʻians with fresh drinking water and sanitation services by 1951.
Kuhina Nui Liliʻuokalani, on behalf of Aliʻi Nui Ululani
Ariki Mau o Pikoʻo Hereveri Vaka
Aliʻi o Kona Sālote Tupou III
Ariʻi o Kahiki Pōmare VI
Kiaʻaina o Komohana Dwight Heine
Kiaʻaina o Kunalu Reuben Uatioa
Kiingi o Nukilani Korokī Mahuta
Tama a ʻAiga o Kāmoa Malietoa Tanumafili
FEDERATION OF RHODESIA & NYASALAND / TRAGEDY AT LANDS END
As Britain under Churchills guidance races to consolidate the Empire against both internal and external threats to its existence, the Prime Minister personally visited the Colonies of Southern & Northern Rhodesia along with Nyasaland. Three distinct colonies with differing Economies and Demographic structures, with Southern Rhodesia providing the most stable British rule of the three. Nyasaland was by far the least economically stable of the three, relying almost entirely on Agriculture and limited subsidies from the Home Country, thus in the eyes of the Cabinet it was necessary to tag it onto a more successful and profitable Colony such as the two Rhodesia's. Therefore all three shall be reformed into the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (locally coined the Central African Federation), which shall function as a Crown Colony with significant British influence.
Further, Churchill shall utilise the role of Governor-General to bring Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor back into the "Royal Fold" by bestowing the title upon him. The Duke moved back to France at the end of the Second World War and has ever since advertised his services to both the Royal Family and British Government. The Prime Minister and King believe it would be beneficial to insert him back into the service of Britain however not as close to home as he may like. As Governor-General of Rhodesia & Nyasaland, he shall be responsible for representing the interests of Britain and ensuring that law and order are maintained at any cost. For Britain, the Colony is not only lucrative but strategically important due to its vast resources and loyal "English" Population. That Population has been constantly on the rise, with the British Government having advertised it to many.
Additional rights shall be granted to the native Populations in order to increase the strength of the Colony and perhaps to create a bond between the Mother Country and its Subjects in the area. Towards this end, both White and Black Voters shall receive equal (50/50) representation. All Educational Facilities, while still pushed to maintain that merit trumps all, should increase the number of Black Students to around half of their total Populations unless local Demographics do not allow such to occur. The Military itself has always served as a beacon of equality within Rhodesia, witnessed by the fact that around 65% of its Manpower is made up of Black Africans. Soldiers within the Federal Defence Force shall receive further College funding & Pensions based on rank, in order to ensure that Soldiers who are able to rise through the ranks receive the post-service Education and Income that they deserve regardless of the colour of their skin. Spödoers serving with British Overseas Forces rather than the Federal Defence Force will automatically receive the same benefits. Britain further played emphasis on the system of Imperial Preference when it dictated that the new Federation could only source Military Materials from the Mother Country itself, and pledged to provide equipment as needed along with certain licenses for localised production under the condition that workers be hired on a 50/50 racial basis.
Black : 5,574,980 (98.16%)
White : 104,719 (1.84%)
Southern Rhodesia :
Black : 1,600,000 (95.21%)
White : 80,500 (4.79%)
Northern Rhodesia :
Black : 1,634,980 (97.68%)
White : 21,919 (1.32%)
Black : 2,340,000 (99.90%)
White : 2,300 (0.10%)
Tragedy struck today at Land's End (most westerly point of mainland Cornwall and England.) as a British Troopship carrying Welsh Soldiers back home from India along with the Rescue Vessel dispatched to the location were lost to the extreme weather conditions being witnessed on that day. HMS Aberporth had been at sea for two weeks carrying 1,300 Troops back from the British Raj when on the 9th of July it was stuck in a storm and its Engine became inoperable. Slowly being pushed closer to the rocky shoreline, heroic volunteers of the Sennen Cove Lifeboat Station raced towards them in terrible conditions in an attempt to save as many Men as possible. Equipped only with their 46ft Watson-class lifeboat however, they struggle to get alongside the Vessel as the tide brings them closer and closer to the shoreline.
Refusing to give up, the Volunteers of the RNLI maintained their position until the very last, when both their Vessel and the HMS Aberporth struck the Rocky shoreline, tearing into them. Of the 1,300 Troops, 20 Crewmen on the HMS Aberporth and finally 8 Volunteer Rescue Boat Operators only 12 Welsh Soldiers survived and were rescued by Royal Navy Rescue Vessels the next day. Prime Minister Winston Churchill has not only vowed to conduct a full Government Inquiry into what caused the Ships Engines to fail, but also to sign into law what he has coined the "Aberporth Act", which shall provide extensive Government aid to the Families of Servicemen killed not just in action but in peace-time accidents.