by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Caer Sidi Board

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .127128129130131132133. . .146147»

Post by Nickelodeon 11 suppressed by LollerLand.

Hello all, hope you are all well.
Here is this week's poll, regarding the heinous raid on The Embassy. Vote and feel free to share to others (it's an open poll, non-restricted) , this concerns every nation and region on NationStates!!
page=poll/p=169653

Great Turf Wars



There were already Turf Wars dating back to 2,000 years before the current setting, perhaps either as a competitive sport or a method to settle conflicts. The first recorded Turf War occurred during a period in Inkling history with many similarities to Ancient Egypt, roughly 2,000 years before the events of Splatoon began. However, as these Turf Wars of nineteen centuries later involved the Inklings and Octarians (instead of just teams of four Inklings), it has expanded into a bigger campaign, great enough to become a historical event.

Before the Great Turf Wars, the Inklings and Octarians had "amicable relations", until the rising sea levels caused them to lash out against each other in a power struggle over the remaining land.

As time progressed, the Octarians separated themselves from the other species of the Mollusc Era. They became dissatisfied with the amount of available dry land and waged war on the Inklings, the other dominant species at the time, to gain total control of the turf.

The Octarians constructed a variety of large machines known as the Great Octoweapons and began attacking Inkling cities.

The first battles of the Great War ended in victory for the Octarian forces. The diligent Octarians easily dominated the Inklings, who were unable to wake up early enough in the morning to defend themselves.(The Inklings have long led a hedonistic style of life).

Heralded by loud explosions, the Great Octoweapons quickly stormed the Inklings' central stronghold. Victory for the Octarians seemed all but certain, but due to a plug being carelessly pulled from its socket, their hopes were dashed. Lady Luck shone down on the Inklings, and the Inklings' victory over the Octarians was most likely due to their superior number of limbs. The Inklings secured a victory in the war and forced the Octarians to retreat to underground lairs such as Octo Valley, which were constructed from the ruins of the subterranean cities built by the remnants of humanity.

The Inkling faction had a fighting force known as the Squidbeak Splatoon led by Cap'n Cuttlefish, which fought against the Octarians during the war..

Read factbook

Nickelodeon 11 wrote:<snip>

Not going to lie, your factbook has good looking graphics, but our RMB is not the place to advertise it or that poll.

Advertising is not poggers.

Post self-deleted by Suomalainem.

Cool Fish wrote:Advertising is not poggers.

It is not at all poggers, my comrade.

Hope everyone in CS is doing good!

LollerLand wrote:Hope everyone in CS is doing good!

*baas grumpily *

Sheepy Hollow wrote:*baas grumpily *

Me too, my friend.

Overthinkers, you wrote in a dispatch addressing free speech;

"Simply put, the people who abuse free speech are generally the only ones who complain about its seeming lack of presence."

Free Speech and NationStates
An essay/speech/rant by Overthinkers

Freedom of speech. Everyone wants it; everyone thinks they can use it. Therefore, everyone gets mad when you, quote-unquote, “suppress” their freedom. In few places is this misconception more apparent than NationStates.

It may be beneficial to address, first of all, the modern interpretation of “freedom of speech”. People seem to think that the term implies freedom from consequences. If that is so, then perjury and slander laws are unconstitutional. No one can prevent you from saying it, but that doesn’t mean you’re not responsible for what you say.

Of course, there’s already a fatal flaw in assuming that freedom of speech is universal and applies to other people’s privately-owned sites. But Max Barry himself makes his opinion clear in NationStates’ Frequently Asked Questions: “Ahahahaha! Hahaha! Free speech!. . .I run this website, see, so you have to play by my rules.” Of course, who reads rules nowadays? It’s more fun to jump in blindly and do whatever you think you can get away with!

And so the newbies dive in headfirst. If they don’t think anything of it, surely others won’t! Or, in some cases, they don’t care if others care. And when they’re reprimanded, what do they hide behind? Free speech. “You can’t stop us,” they say. “You’re a meanie. You are a worthless human because you won’t let me post nonsensical gibberish and generally offensive jokes.”

Thing is, site administration allows regions to run themselves however they wish (within the Terms of Service, of course). The One Stop Rules Shop specifically states that founders and regional officers can suppress spam, or any other messages, on the RMB. If someone doesn’t like it, only their own incompetence prevents them from leaving a region and joining, or creating, a new one. A user’s rights are not being suppressed along with his or her posts. You can meme just as effectively elsewhere and likely receive much less hate.

Why, though? Why do we suppress the stupidity? Because it’s our game too. Generally it’s one or two dissenters who are new to the region versus an established government trusted by the majority of the region. We want to make the game as enjoyable for ourselves as we can despite NSGP, and looking at poorly spelled alt-right rants is not our idea of enjoyable. So, simply put, the will of the majority overrules. Again, the government is more or less implicitly supported by residents by their residing there, so the government is generally acting within the region’s best interest.

Simply put, the people who abuse free speech are generally the only ones who complain about its seeming lack of presence. Funny how that works. You may not be able to promote your ideology as easily by moving to your own region, but really, if your post was suppressed few were going to listen to you anyway. “Free speech,” in the sense many seem to see it, will never be a thing in NationStates. And if you don’t agree, you can complain about it…somewhere else.

Read dispatch

Brilliant, by the way. There is a theme of restrictive thematic expression unaddressed by the dispatch though. To wit: as we actors (or agents) of the RMB compose our words, we restrain ourselves from writting NSFW or "rated 'R'" posts; in themes beyond policy or politics as well. Either way, I can concur with you in that even though one may say anything one pleases, freedom of speech can not save one from the consequences of an unpopular statement. Lack of that freedom is a real absence of ANY venue in which to express that statement.

NS was all screwed up when I was going to sleep. Glad to see that the admins fixed the issue.

Demonos wrote:Overthinkers, you wrote in a dispatch addressing free speech;

"Simply put, the people who abuse free speech are generally the only ones who complain about its seeming lack of presence."

Free Speech and NationStates
An essay/speech/rant by Overthinkers

Freedom of speech. Everyone wants it; everyone thinks they can use it. Therefore, everyone gets mad when you, quote-unquote, “suppress” their freedom. In few places is this misconception more apparent than NationStates.

It may be beneficial to address, first of all, the modern interpretation of “freedom of speech”. People seem to think that the term implies freedom from consequences. If that is so, then perjury and slander laws are unconstitutional. No one can prevent you from saying it, but that doesn’t mean you’re not responsible for what you say.

Of course, there’s already a fatal flaw in assuming that freedom of speech is universal and applies to other people’s privately-owned sites. But Max Barry himself makes his opinion clear in NationStates’ Frequently Asked Questions: “Ahahahaha! Hahaha! Free speech!. . .I run this website, see, so you have to play by my rules.” Of course, who reads rules nowadays? It’s more fun to jump in blindly and do whatever you think you can get away with!

And so the newbies dive in headfirst. If they don’t think anything of it, surely others won’t! Or, in some cases, they don’t care if others care. And when they’re reprimanded, what do they hide behind? Free speech. “You can’t stop us,” they say. “You’re a meanie. You are a worthless human because you won’t let me post nonsensical gibberish and generally offensive jokes.”

Thing is, site administration allows regions to run themselves however they wish (within the Terms of Service, of course). The One Stop Rules Shop specifically states that founders and regional officers can suppress spam, or any other messages, on the RMB. If someone doesn’t like it, only their own incompetence prevents them from leaving a region and joining, or creating, a new one. A user’s rights are not being suppressed along with his or her posts. You can meme just as effectively elsewhere and likely receive much less hate.

Why, though? Why do we suppress the stupidity? Because it’s our game too. Generally it’s one or two dissenters who are new to the region versus an established government trusted by the majority of the region. We want to make the game as enjoyable for ourselves as we can despite NSGP, and looking at poorly spelled alt-right rants is not our idea of enjoyable. So, simply put, the will of the majority overrules. Again, the government is more or less implicitly supported by residents by their residing there, so the government is generally acting within the region’s best interest.

Simply put, the people who abuse free speech are generally the only ones who complain about its seeming lack of presence. Funny how that works. You may not be able to promote your ideology as easily by moving to your own region, but really, if your post was suppressed few were going to listen to you anyway. “Free speech,” in the sense many seem to see it, will never be a thing in NationStates. And if you don’t agree, you can complain about it…somewhere else.

Read dispatch

Brilliant, by the way. There is a theme of restrictive thematic expression unaddressed by the dispatch though. To wit: as we actors (or agents) of the RMB compose our words, we restrain ourselves from writting NSFW or "rated 'R'" posts; in themes beyond policy or politics as well. Either way, I can concur with you in that even though one may say anything one pleases, freedom of speech can not save one from the consequences of an unpopular statement. Lack of that freedom is a real absence of ANY venue in which to express that statement.

That dispatch never gets old to me, which is unusual for things I write. :P I appreciate the comments.

LollerLand wrote:NS was all screwed up when I was going to sleep. Glad to see that the admins fixed the issue.

Oh yeah, that happened to me too. For me it was 3:30 when that happened. I was on my alt account Morsh u

It is what time? Question time!!!

So tell me, what is the perfect breakfast??

Kernox wrote:It is what time? Question time!!!

So tell me, what is the perfect breakfast??

food

Kernox wrote:It is what time? Question time!!!

So tell me, what is the perfect breakfast??

Cow tongue burritos in rich molé sweetened with swine blood, an orange juice, a Topo Chico.

Kernox wrote:It is what time? Question time!!!

So tell me, what is the perfect breakfast??

In Indian, it would be vellappam and egg curry with masala chai. I also like English and American breakfast foods, so I would also consider a breakfast of sausages, mashed potato, a salad and chocolate milkshake to be perfect.

Kernox wrote:It is what time? Question time!!!

So tell me, what is the perfect breakfast??

*monches on grass*

Sheepy Hollow wrote:*monches on grass*

*feeds sheepy more grass*

Kernox wrote:So tell me, what is the perfect breakfast??

An omelette. 3 eggs, herbs, yellow cheese and tomato sauce on top.

I don't eat that too often, to avoid cardiac problems. Once in a few months, sort of.

More of a Brunch than a breakfast.

Greetings, Fellow Nations of Caer Sidi!

It has been a while since we last communicated anything into here...

Message over.

(Note: This was probably particularly useless, but at least we have greeted our fellow nations respectfully, like any nation from within this magnificent region would greet us. It's truly an honour to be amongst them.)

[Note n.2: We hope you like our new name.]

{Note n.3: We have nothing to write here, really.}

((Note n.4: insert useless waste of ink here))

[[Note .5: We should probably stop adding these useless notes into here... Whose idea was this in the first place?!]]

LollerLand wrote:*feeds sheepy more grass*

*baas happily*

Hello Caer Sidians!

It is me, Suo, the Karman region diplomat of Caer Sidi. I have a newspaper now, so I need you guys to tell me jokes! The best ones will be put on to this week's paper! My newspaper is called The Weekly Bugle. Stay cool!

4 years after its creation, the ICR has announced it is embracing socialism

Suomalainem wrote:Hello Caer Sidians!

It is me, Suo, the Karman region diplomat of Caer Sidi. I have a newspaper now, so I need you guys to tell me jokes! The best ones will be put on to this week's paper! My newspaper is called The Weekly Bugle. Stay cool!

I didn’t like my beard at first, but it grew on me. That reminds me, I need to get a shave.

Post self-deleted by Lydgarandelle.

so i am new here do you guys do war rp here

«12. . .127128129130131132133. . .146147»

Advertisement