by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Abydos Board

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .287288289290291292293. . .300301»

Exploring The Eye - Part 2

§1.2. Supreme Law

We shall insure that this Eye of Abydos supersedes all other legislation, directives, decisions, orders, decrees, and any other authoritative document within the jurisdiction of Abydos.Words, crafts, or personalities which overshadow this Eye of Abydos shall be nullified by default.

As I said last time this section comes into direct conflict with the 13 Axioms of Abydos. This is because it clearly states that whatever the document may be the Eye of Abydos is the supreme law of Abydos. However, the Axioms are Abydos’ oldest directives. Our oldest laws. To simply go and say that this document supersedes any other document in Abydos, most importantly the Axioms is wrong in my view.

As I said last time, if I was forced into a constitutional ruling and the Axioms and the Constitution differed on what was the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do I would choose the Axioms, however if I did that then I would be breaking the Constitution and forcing a constitutional crisis which is the last thing any High Priest would want to do. Therefore, personally the Axioms and the Constitution should not be seen as two different document with one holding more power than the other but two documents that hold the same amount of power. While this may undermine the Eye a little it can only be seen as an advantage for Abydos.

While what I say may be controversial to simply say that the Eye of Abydos makes the 13 Axioms of Abydos null is wrong and I urge the Grand Luxarch and Founder to think about a constitutional amendment in order to show that one document is more powerful than the other.

It may not be my place to suggest these types of reforms but I do believe in my role as High Oracle that I must promote both the Axioms and the Eye and it would be unfair to both documents if one was seen more powerful than the other.

Next time we move away from controversy and towards section 3 discussing the Conditions of Agreement.

Thanks for reading!

Zyris wrote:

welcome!

Thank you

A Response to Exploring the Eye, Part II, which can be read below.

Zosar wrote:Exploring The Eye - Part 2

§1.2. Supreme Law

We shall insure that this Eye of Abydos supersedes all other legislation, directives, decisions, orders, decrees, and any other authoritative document within the jurisdiction of Abydos.Words, crafts, or personalities which overshadow this Eye of Abydos shall be nullified by default.

As I said last time this section comes into direct conflict with the 13 Axioms of Abydos. This is because it clearly states that whatever the document may be the Eye of Abydos is the supreme law of Abydos. However, the Axioms are Abydos’ oldest directives. Our oldest laws. To simply go and say that this document supersedes any other document in Abydos, most importantly the Axioms is wrong in my view.

As I said last time, if I was forced into a constitutional ruling and the Axioms and the Constitution differed on what was the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do I would choose the Axioms, however if I did that then I would be breaking the Constitution and forcing a constitutional crisis which is the last thing any High Priest would want to do. Therefore, personally the Axioms and the Constitution should not be seen as two different document with one holding more power than the other but two documents that hold the same amount of power. While this may undermine the Eye a little it can only be seen as an advantage for Abydos.

While what I say may be controversial to simply say that the Eye of Abydos makes the 13 Axioms of Abydos null is wrong and I urge the Grand Luxarch and Founder to think about a constitutional amendment in order to show that one document is more powerful than the other.

It may not be my place to suggest these types of reforms but I do believe in my role as High Oracle that I must promote both the Axioms and the Eye and it would be unfair to both documents if one was seen more powerful than the other.

Next time we move away from controversy and towards section 3 discussing the Conditions of Agreement.

Thanks for reading!

I'd like to revisit this, and offer my response to it. While I do not necessarily disagree with your ruling here, I also believe that your ruling abandons several important points.

The Eye of Abydos is, In fact the most supreme law of the land. As Section 2 states, it does superceded all other documents in the region, and that includes the Abydos Axioms. Where, I think there may be a confusion, if you will, is in the understanding of the relationship between these documents. I believe that when one understands the relation between these documents, any thought of contradiction will be eliminated. I tend to view it like this: If you were to ask "What is Abydos?", the Eye is your answer, but if you were to ask Why?, then the Axioms is your answer.

The Axioms were written first, written in a time when there were no laws, legislation or constitution. They do not claim to be superior to anything legalistically, and yet they have remained at the core of everything we do. Why is this?

The Axioms are like our foundation, our reason for being. They are synonymous to, say the Declaration of Independence of the United States, they provide our reasoning to do what we do. With this strong foundation, everything else has been built. From these, we wrote the Eye, to stand atop this strong foundation and from there, we have the society that we do because of it. No matter how Grand we build up, it expand out, at its core are 13 basic ideas which support it.

Not only is it a foundation, but like a seed, it has the ability to continually provide life. We as a region have not had the opportunity to witness total collapse. Should Abydos fall, the Eye be ruined, and our proverbial city to be bombed out, burnt down, or otherwise destroyed either by our own negligence and pride, or by outside forces, The Eye can be destroyed, our society collapsed, but beneath that rubble exists an idea, the Axioms, which if adopted can serve again as our foundation and we can build anew.

I think it is false to equate the Eye with the Axioms, despite their obvious symbiotic nature. One is the rock upon which we build, the other is the building which shelters us. The shelter can be destroyed, but that rock can not.

As an Oracle, and indeed as all citizens, we are obligated to abide by our Eye of Abydos. The Axioms tell us how. I believe this should not be forgotten. If this is done perfectly, there will never be a contradiction, there will never be a reason to question it. If we fail at this most basic of tasks, and forget our reasonings to exist and our way in which we should forge our actions, then it is our duty to either stomp it out. If that can not be done, we risk losing everything but the very idea which was born with this place for we can be robbed of all our possessions, but can never be robbed of our ideas.

An Oracle protects those ideas with the same ferociousness as you would seek to protect your house if someone was attempting to destroy the foundation upon which it was built. Not only that, but when called, you interpret the laws. This is achieved by first insuring conformity with the Eye if Abydos, which itself required the conformity of the 13 Abydos Axioms. Lastly, you spread that foundational idea and teach. To not teach a generation about these fundamentals is to insure that they will be the last generation and our light will extinguish.

This issue isn't about power, as the lenses of your view shape it with your words above. This issue is about maintaining our own existence as we define it, as we have so chosen. These matters are not about what power it has, or what is gained or what is achieved. These documents are our humanly attempt at not losing what we have. The Axioms werent written for fun or to add a new quirk to an interesting reason, but because the threat of actual loss is real and merciless. To lose the Eye is to lose everything we have created. To lose the Axioms is to lose our very legacy, our soul. The Curse of the Ancients, written in the Eye sums this up beautifully:

By the blessings of the Ancients who inhabited these lands before us, Abydos shall forever be protected from calamity and destruction. Those who seek to desecrate this law of Abydos through illegal nullification, exploitation, circumvention, abolishment, manipulation, revolution, or to otherwise cause discord shall be cursed by the Ancients who guard this land and banished. Likewise, Abydos itself shall be lost to the sands, should we as a people forget our Axioms, stray from the lineage here established for the Grand Luxarch, or seek personal glory before the glory of this place.

Despite the glaring threats of our extinguishment littered throughout the Eye of Abydos, its promulgation, its curse, the Axioms, and in other historic writings, this threat of either forgetting or rebelling is very real, and creeps in many regions from time to time. When left unchecked, regions collapse. Abydos is no different in this regard. We are just as much capable of losing everything as any other region out there. Since our founding, several major regions have collapsed after years or decades of existence. We as a region should not be so arrogant as to think it can not happen to us. It can. I can be smitten out tomorrow by the mods, the region can be invaded if no founder exists, and the people can lose interest and decide it is not worth it. All of these things could happen, and in time, are very likely to happen. The Eye and our Axioms are there, in part, to remind us of this threat and to adjust our actions in a way which both prevents it and provides a way at which we can continue on. The Abydos Axioms can be applied to any region and their core ideas still be true. The Eye can just about do the same thing. With these seeds of life in our hands, given to us to protect, no threat, no destruction, no annhialation can ever possibly be total unless we, ourselves, or of those we teach forget. That is what these documents are, why they are the way they are, their relationship to one another, and our salvation if we so need them to be.

Bruh. Weed is the best thing to be legal in my country. Y'all should follow in my footsteps!

Qon wrote:A Response to Exploring the Eye, Part II, which can be read below.

I'd like to revisit this, and offer my response to it. While I do not necessarily disagree with your ruling here, I also believe that your ruling abandons several important points.

The Eye of Abydos is, In fact the most supreme law of the land. As Section 2 states, it does superceded all other documents in the region, and that includes the Abydos Axioms. Where, I think there may be a confusion, if you will, is in the understanding of the relationship between these documents. I believe that when one understands the relation between these documents, any thought of contradiction will be eliminated. I tend to view it like this: If you were to ask "What is Abydos?", the Eye is your answer, but if you were to ask Why?, then the Axioms is your answer.

The Axioms were written first, written in a time when there were no laws, legislation or constitution. They do not claim to be superior to anything legalistically, and yet they have remained at the core of everything we do. Why is this?

The Axioms are like our foundation, our reason for being. They are synonymous to, say the Declaration of Independence of the United States, they provide our reasoning to do what we do. With this strong foundation, everything else has been built. From these, we wrote the Eye, to stand atop this strong foundation and from there, we have the society that we do because of it. No matter how Grand we build up, it expand out, at its core are 13 basic ideas which support it.

Not only is it a foundation, but like a seed, it has the ability to continually provide life. We as a region have not had the opportunity to witness total collapse. Should Abydos fall, the Eye be ruined, and our proverbial city to be bombed out, burnt down, or otherwise destroyed either by our own negligence and pride, or by outside forces, The Eye can be destroyed, our society collapsed, but beneath that rubble exists an idea, the Axioms, which if adopted can serve again as our foundation and we can build anew.

I think it is false to equate the Eye with the Axioms, despite their obvious symbiotic nature. One is the rock upon which we build, the other is the building which shelters us. The shelter can be destroyed, but that rock can not.

As an Oracle, and indeed as all citizens, we are obligated to abide by our Eye of Abydos. The Axioms tell us how. I believe this should not be forgotten. If this is done perfectly, there will never be a contradiction, there will never be a reason to question it. If we fail at this most basic of tasks, and forget our reasonings to exist and our way in which we should forge our actions, then it is our duty to either stomp it out. If that can not be done, we risk losing everything but the very idea which was born with this place for we can be robbed of all our possessions, but can never be robbed of our ideas.

An Oracle protects those ideas with the same ferociousness as you would seek to protect your house if someone was attempting to destroy the foundation upon which it was built. Not only that, but when called, you interpret the laws. This is achieved by first insuring conformity with the Eye if Abydos, which itself required the conformity of the 13 Abydos Axioms. Lastly, you spread that foundational idea and teach. To not teach a generation about these fundamentals is to insure that they will be the last generation and our light will extinguish.

This issue isn't about power, as the lenses of your view shape it with your words above. This issue is about maintaining our own existence as we define it, as we have so chosen. These matters are not about what power it has, or what is gained or what is achieved. These documents are our humanly attempt at not losing what we have. The Axioms werent written for fun or to add a new quirk to an interesting reason, but because the threat of actual loss is real and merciless. To lose the Eye is to lose everything we have created. To lose the Axioms is to lose our very legacy, our soul. The Curse of the Ancients, written in the Eye sums this up beautifully:

By the blessings of the Ancients who inhabited these lands before us, Abydos shall forever be protected from calamity and destruction. Those who seek to desecrate this law of Abydos through illegal nullification, exploitation, circumvention, abolishment, manipulation, revolution, or to otherwise cause discord shall be cursed by the Ancients who guard this land and banished. Likewise, Abydos itself shall be lost to the sands, should we as a people forget our Axioms, stray from the lineage here established for the Grand Luxarch, or seek personal glory before the glory of this place.

Despite the glaring threats of our extinguishment littered throughout the Eye of Abydos, its promulgation, its curse, the Axioms, and in other historic writings, this threat of either forgetting or rebelling is very real, and creeps in many regions from time to time. When left unchecked, regions collapse. Abydos is no different in this regard. We are just as much capable of losing everything as any other region out there. Since our founding, several major regions have collapsed after years or decades of existence. We as a region should not be so arrogant as to think it can not happen to us. It can. I can be smitten out tomorrow by the mods, the region can be invaded if no founder exists, and the people can lose interest and decide it is not worth it. All of these things could happen, and in time, are very likely to happen. The Eye and our Axioms are there, in part, to remind us of this threat and to adjust our actions in a way which both prevents it and provides a way at which we can continue on. The Abydos Axioms can be applied to any region and their core ideas still be true. The Eye can just about do the same thing. With these seeds of life in our hands, given to us to protect, no threat, no destruction, no annhialation can ever possibly be total unless we, ourselves, or of those we teach forget. That is what these documents are, why they are the way they are, their relationship to one another, and our salvation if we so need them to be.

You could think of the Axioms as being a prologue to the Eye as the Ten Commandments are a prologue to Leviticus.

Greetings!

You know who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of nations...the Shadow knows.

Zartavaria wrote:You could think of the Axioms as being a prologue to the Eye as the Ten Commandments are a prologue to Leviticus.

Nice summarisation

Katniss Everdean wrote:Greetings!

You know who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of nations...the Shadow knows.

Welcome to Abydos!

Katniss Everdean wrote:Greetings!

You know who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of nations...the Shadow knows.

Welcome!
May your stay include many plague arrows (aimed away from you)!

Katniss Everdean wrote:Greetings!

You know who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of nations...the Shadow knows.

Welcome to Abydos, be sure to sacrifice many goats!

bruh moment

So, as the High Priest Election is today, yet I am the only candidate running... do I win by default, Qon?

Qon wrote:Welcome to Abydos!

Thank you.

The Realm of Sehkmet wrote:Welcome!
May your stay include many plague arrows (aimed away from you)!

I am the Mockingjay and arrows are my messengers that I send to the deserving.

The Dogetopian Ambassador wrote:Welcome to Abydos, be sure to sacrifice many goats!

Thank you, but my sister, Prim, might have a problem with that, as she raises goats.

Eastern Ashanti wrote:So, as the High Priest Election is today, yet I am the only candidate running... do I win by default, Qon?

Well if the election is going ahead you have my vote! Ahahaha

Citizenship Application

  1. What is your Nations Name? Katniss Everdean

  2. What is the current date? 10 Sept 2019

  3. Is your nation in the World Assembly? No I have none currently in the WA.

  4. How long have you (the player) played NationStates? Over 1˝ Decades

  5. What other regions have you participated in? Too many to list here. See Above.

  6. What interests you most: Roleplay, Politics, or Military? Military and Community

  7. Do you operate any other nations in Abydos? No

  8. Do you agree to abide by all laws in Abydos? Yes

  9. We value Honesty. Are your Answers Honest? Yes

Katniss Everdean wrote:Citizenship Application

  1. What is your Nations Name? Katniss Everdean

  2. What is the current date? 10 Sept 2019

  3. Is your nation in the World Assembly? No I have none currently in the WA.

  4. How long have you (the player) played NationStates? Over 1˝ Decades

  5. What other regions have you participated in? Too many to list here. See Above.

  6. What interests you most: Roleplay, Politics, or Military? Military and Community

  7. Do you operate any other nations in Abydos? No

  8. Do you agree to abide by all laws in Abydos? Yes

  9. We value Honesty. Are your Answers Honest? Yes

Approved.

Eastern Ashanti wrote:So, as the High Priest Election is today, yet I am the only candidate running... do I win by default, Qon?

You sure do, Congratulations!

Qon wrote:Approved.

Thank You.

🌵

I'll be awaiting the new High Priests Speech.

Speech!Speech!

Katniss Everdean

you Spelled Everdeen wrong

sorry just a hunger games fan

Tigriso wrote:Katniss Everdean

you Spelled Everdeen wrong

sorry just a hunger games fan

I know. Just like Katness Everdeen spelled Katniss wrong. It's how you get around large nations that CTE'd.

Katniss Everdean wrote:I know. Just like Katness Everdeen spelled Katniss wrong. It's how you get around large nations that CTE'd.

ok aight

*Ahem...*

My fellow citizens of Abydos, I thank you for my completely 100% legitimate victory in the election for High Priest of our glorious region. I know you had SO many choices in candidates, but I'm grateful for the overwhelming, unanimous support from all of the electors.

But on a serious note: I promise to execute the duties of the office of High Priest and to uphold the Eye of Abydos to the best of my abilities, so help me Violet.

I have only been in Abydos for a few months now, but I have grown to think of it as home. I am truly humbled and honoured to accept such an office as High Priest. I hope to oversee many bills in the Conclave in coming days.

For my first act as High Priest, I would like to offer the position of Selected Scribe to citizen Opsender and citizen The Realm of Sehkmet, should they choose to except them.

As High Priest I will endeavour to collaborate with our Scribes and the Grand Luxarch on ways we may bring further glory to our region.

I'm curiously awaiting if they accept their selections.

«12. . .287288289290291292293. . .300301»

Advertisement