The map is key to developing relationships between our nations and engaging in role-play. As it has limited space, it is therefore reserved for nations who actively engage in RP and new nations (who have a fair probability of engaging in RP in the future). Please do not request a map spot unless you plan on being active for a long time.
For new nations in the region, you must do ALL of the following to receive a map spot:
1. Have a realistic nation name, as in something reasonably similar to a real world state (but not actually a real world country name or extremely similar), and use this as your name that you role-play with.
2. Have at least one nation-building factbook (i.e. relating to your nation's government, culture, economy, etc.) AND one forum post (of any kind, on any thread). We use the forums for role-play so it is important that you know how to post on them.
3. Have been active sometime in at least the last three days. For example, if you send me the request on Monday, stop logging in after Tuesday, and I check the request on Saturday, I will not add you, because it appears you are no longer active.
4. Be in the World Assembly on the nation you're applying with.
5. Send me, the Founder, a telegram that answers the following questions:
Standard Application for Map Spot
How did you find the region/why did you choose The Western Isles:
How long have you been active on NationStates:
Is this nation a puppet or side project:
List your other nations, if any:
Do you plan on being active (participating in regional role-play), and what are you interested in:
Are you in the WA:
Have you read the welcome guide "A Welcome and Introduction Dispatch for New Nations":
Have you read, understood, and agree to the map rules located in the regional rules dispatch:
Where exactly do you want to be on the map (describe the location in relation to other nations' locations):
If that spot becomes no longer available, what is your second choice for location:
The map is updated at least once a week, usually on Sundays. My goal is for there to be an average turnaround of less than five days. I will let you know when you have been added, usually by replying to your telegram with "Added." I will most likely not respond to your telegram until such time as I have added you or messaged you back seeking clarification if there's a problem.
In order to stay on the map, you must post on any regional in-character role-play thread at least once a month AND you must also do at least one of the following every ten days or less:
1. Publish or significantly and clearly add to a nation-building factbook entry.
2. Post on any regional role-play thread (including but not limited to the news, tweets, citizens, or League threads).
If you're going to be on an extended vacation or unavoidable absence, telegram the current Secretary of Role-Play and me and I will likely hold your spot for you if you have shown in the past to be an active member.
No puppets. No nation on the map may serve in any capacity in any foreign region's government.
All players must use a single nation name for all of the region's affairs. Creating and using a new nation to RP as a territory or province is heavily discouraged.
See also additional rules for specific instances: page=dispatch/id=426501
1. Treat others how you want to be treated.
2. Be friendly, welcoming, and supportive of everyone, but more so to the new nations of the region.
3. Don't sabotage, harass, or annoy anyone, in the region or elsewhere.
4. Don't engage in one-sided role-playing, for example by invading a nation that does not want to be invaded.
5. Keep your military strength conservatively realistic.
6. Everyone is equal! Elitism isn't welcome here.
7. Alts/puppet accounts cannot vote. If caught voting, you face expulsion from the region.
8. Follow the NationStates rules.
The RMB is used for:
1. Communicating with the region as a whole, for announcements either on personal matters or about your nation.
2. Welcoming new nations.
3. General conversation about news or other non-controversial topics.
4. Advice on national issues.
5. Help on anything concerning NationStates itself.
6. Campaigning, once an election poll has gone up.
7. Advertising a regional news article or paper, only once per 12 hours.
The RMB is NOT used for:
1. One-on-one conversations. These should occur through telegram.
2. Role-playing events. These will occur in threads on the NationStates forums that will be linked to on the regional world factbook entry. This is so they do not get lost in a sea of other messages on the regional message board.
3. Controversial discussion. These should occur in public threads on the forums.
4. Spam, inside jokes, troll language, memes, etc. Each message should be at least a full sentence and be either helpful, informative, or evoke conversation.
5. Non-English conversation. Use English.
6. Incredibly long posts, particularly those copy-pasted from something else.
1. No regional telegrams can be sent out by non-officers, for any reason, including to campaign
2. Officers can only send out regional telegrams if absolutely necessary, such as in order to conduct their duties or conduct elections
3. Residents may, of course, still telegram any other resident privately for any reason, including to campaign
Breaking the Rules
Upon violating the rules, the following events are likely to happen:
1. Suppression of RMB posts
2. Telegram/post asking to stop
3. Kick from the region
4. Ban from the region
These events may occur in a different order depending on the severity of the offense(s). The telegram/post may come from any nation; if someone warns you that you are breaking the rules, that counts as a warning.