by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Wintreath Board

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

«12. . .717718719720721722723. . .830831»

Islaperdida

I´m new so I hope veterans can teach me how to manage my nation better

Mathyland puppet

News Report: Military parades in Thalasus for "Triumph Day"

Recommended listening: https://youtu.be/Obmd6Z0K3mg

Today in Farbanti, San Salvacion, Leiloa, Jacinto, and other major cities across Thalasus, thousands of active-duty soldiers are parading across the major thoroughfares in celebration of Triumph Day. Triumph Day marks the date of the final victory over the British empire that secured the nation's independence and allowed for a nation state to be born, who's ratification of the constitution is celebrated tomorrow. Triumph Day also marks a major celebration and ostentatious demonstration of Thalasi military might. Flyovers of military aircraft and salutes fired from the guns of naval vessels are near constant, and artillery pieces and armored vehicles rove through the cities flanked by marching soldiers (many of whom are on active duty, but off rotation) and by adoring citizens, who have come out in droves to cheer on their armed forces.

This celebration and parade which kicks off the three-day Thalasi "patriotic holiday" season is not without controversy, however. Many peace groups, socialist unions, and civil rights organizations have condemned Triumph Day in the past.
"It is a state-enforced celebration of militarism and imperialism," commented leftist pundit Alphonse Drutharti recently. "If it were truly a celebration of independence that would be one thing, but in a nation with a military that mostly suppresses rebellions domestically and fights trade wars abroad, the sight of jack-booted soldiers marching through normally peaceful city streets is enough to turn the stomach."

Many others are positive about the festivities, however.
"Triumph Day is a celebration of the people's victory against an empire in the past, and the present and future strength of the most powerful democratic state in the world," said General Anton Dias in a recent press conference. "By organizing these parades and demonstrations, we show to the world our hard-fought martial might. The enemies of peace and freedom ought to be fearful, and those who are friends of humanity ought to be comforted and filled with pride by today."
"I don't know what the fuss is about," said a random person we dragged off the street when we presented him with Drutharti's quote. "Thalasus was born from a violent revolution, and the military has protected Thalasi democracy many times, like when they bombed Blackacre and when they ousted our oppressive communist government in a coup. Even if they've gone away from that a little, they still deserve some respect. What's wrong with celebrating it?"

Several political analysts have noted that these demonstrations, organized and presided over by President Ashton Mercer, are numerically the largest in Thalasi history, with thousands of soldiers participating and hundreds of demonstrations of military technology and strength happening across the nation. Some believe that this is an effort by the Mercer administration to threaten and intimidate Allouxia, as the two nations have recently traded blows and only narrowly avoided an all-out war with a last minute diplomatic deal. Others have said that it is possible that President Mercer is attempting to reassure allies and please the Thalasi conservative political scene, as he has been criticized many times for his "lenient" approach to the Allouxian crisis and his preference for economic soft power over gunboat diplomacy when compared to previous administrations.

Regardless of the cause or effect, the celebrations are expected to continue well into the night, ending at midnight with a ten thousand soldier strong constitutional oath-taking ceremony at the Citadel and a final artillery salute to be fired simultaneously at every Thalasi military base across the world.

Thalasus wrote:News Report: Military parades in Thalasus for "Triumph Day"
Recommended listening: https://youtu.be/Obmd6Z0K3mg
Today in Farbanti, San Salvacion, Leiloa, Jacinto, and other major cities across Thalasus, thousands of active-duty soldiers are parading across the major thoroughfares in celebration of Triumph Day. Triumph Day marks the date of the final victory over the British empire that secured the nation's independence and allowed for a nation state to be born, who's ratification of the constitution is celebrated tomorrow. Triumph Day also marks a major celebration and ostentatious demonstration of Thalasi military might. Flyovers of military aircraft and salutes fired from the guns of naval vessels are near constant, and artillery pieces and armored vehicles rove through the cities flanked by marching soldiers (many of whom are on active duty, but off rotation) and by adoring citizens, who have come out in droves to cheer on their armed forces.
This celebration and parade which kicks off the three-day Thalasi "patriotic holiday" season is not without controversy, however. Many peace groups, socialist unions, and civil rights organizations have condemned Triumph Day in the past.
"It is a state-enforced celebration of militarism and imperialism," commented leftist pundit Alphonse Drutharti recently. "If it were truly a celebration of independence that would be one thing, but in a nation with a military that mostly suppresses rebellions domestically and fights trade wars abroad, the sight of jack-booted soldiers marching through normally peaceful city streets is enough to turn the stomach."
Many others are positive about the festivities, however.
"Triumph Day is a celebration of the people's victory against an empire in the past, and the present and future strength of the most powerful democratic state in the world," said General Anton Dias in a recent press conference. "By organizing these parades and demonstrations, we show to the world our hard-fought martial might. The enemies of peace and freedom ought to be fearful, and those who are friends of humanity ought to be comforted and filled with pride by today."
"I don't know what the fuss is about," said a random person we dragged off the street when we presented him with Drutharti's quote. "Thalasus was born from a violent revolution, and the military has protected Thalasi democracy many times, like when they bombed Blackacre and when they ousted our oppressive communist government in a coup. Even if they've gone away from that a little, they still deserve some respect. What's wrong with celebrating it?"
Several political analysts have noted that these demonstrations, organized and presided over by President Ashton Mercer, are numerically the largest in Thalasi history, with thousands of soldiers participating and hundreds of demonstrations of military technology and strength happening across the nation. Some believe that this is an effort by the Mercer administration to threaten and intimidate Allouxia, as the two nations have recently traded blows and only narrowly avoided an all-out war with a last minute diplomatic deal. Others have said that it is possible that President Mercer is attempting to reassure allies and please the Thalasi conservative political scene, as he has been criticized many times for his "lenient" approach to the Allouxian crisis and his preference for economic soft power over gunboat diplomacy when compared to previous administrations.
Regardless of the cause or effect, the celebrations are expected to continue well into the night, ending at midnight with a ten thousand soldier strong constitutional oath-taking ceremony at the Citadel and a final artillery salute to be fired simultaneously at every Thalasi military base across the world.

Danceria would also like to extend their congrats and wish them a very happy Triumph Day, as the two nations "have much in common, wresting independence and self-determination of government from oppressive regimes. Though we may have taken different paths, it is in the strength of those who uphold the law, greatness and sovereignty of a nation shall that nation endure and thrive", according to His Majesty, Aramer IX Elurin. Though such statements have caused a sense of unease amidst Escanthean born Dancerians, and those adhering to the Orthodox Church, as Escanthea had made Danceria its surezain in the past.

In unrelated news, His Excellency, Thane Aceus Elurin has come of age, and is currently looking to study abroad to cement Danceria's relations in the international community. Some traditionalist nobles protest that the Thane ought to "rule his own house before he bursts into another", fortune has allowed that Aceus' grandfather remain the current King of Danceria. Succession laws allow for Aceus (as his grandfather has declared in his will) to ascend to the throne upon "death or deposition". We now bring you the weather report...

Thalasus, Cote Azure, and Edorra

Hey everybody, thx for having me here

Thalasus and Mathyland puppet

Can somone explain to me how RP works here? I woyld like to participate

Danceria wrote:Danceria would also like to extend their congrats and wish them a very happy Triumph Day, as the two nations "have much in common, wresting independence and self-determination of government from oppressive regimes. Though we may have taken different paths, it is in the strength of those who uphold the law, greatness and sovereignty of a nation shall that nation endure and thrive", according to His Majesty, Aramer IX Elurin. Though such statements have caused a sense of unease amidst Escanthean born Dancerians, and those adhering to the Orthodox Church, as Escanthea had made Danceria its surezain in the past.
In unrelated news, His Excellency, Thane Aceus Elurin has come of age, and is currently looking to study abroad to cement Danceria's relations in the international community. Some traditionalist nobles protest that the Thane ought to "rule his own house before he bursts into another", fortune has allowed that Aceus' grandfather remain the current King of Danceria. Succession laws allow for Aceus (as his grandfather has declared in his will) to ascend to the throne upon "death or deposition". We now bring you the weather report...

"Just what the hell is this?!" An enraged foreign minister barked into his phone as the statement was aired on the Television in the corner of the room. Danceria was supposed to be a friend to Escanthea in these transitionary times, yet it paradoxically seemed like they were only slipping from the Imperial sphere as the Escantheans opened themselves up.
The Emperor would certainly be less than amused by this news as well, so he needed to act quickly.
"Aceus."
The name was such a simple one, but it was a name that would do them a lot of good if he could get this right.
"We could invite Aceus to study here! The Imperial University has housed countless monarchs! It would placate at least some of the Dancerian traditionalists to have him stay in a proper aristocracy as well. But Aramer, it wouldn't be his first choice, clearly. We need to get to the princeling directly. Contact the ambassador! I've a job for him..."

Cote Azure wrote:Can somone explain to me how RP works here? I woyld like to participate

To find the RP, check out our forums here: http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php

You can apply to be a citizen, then check out our RP section. I think there's a lot of planned RPs that are about to start.

And if you want to, I encourage you to check out the rest of the forums; I think you'll find that we are a friendly region.

Islaperdida wrote:I´m new so I hope veterans can teach me how to manage my nation better

Hi and welcome to Wintreath! I'm kind of a veteran because I've been here for over a year, but there are some people that have been on NationStates since 2004, so I'm not technically a veteran. As for how to manage your nation better, just do whatever you want. You can answer as many or as little issues as you want in any way you want. I would also suggest getting involved in the region because just answering issues can get boring. Our forums are here: http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php, in case you want to check that out.

-Meeting between General Bürgmütl and Admiral Rekl
Bürgmül: So invade the middle East under claims of "counter terrorism"?
Rekl: Ja

Mathyland puppet wrote:To find the RP, check out our forums here: http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php
You can apply to be a citizen, then check out our RP section. I think there's a lot of planned RPs that are about to start.
And if you want to, I encourage you to check out the rest of the forums; I think you'll find that we are a friendly region.


Thanks, but i notice that there is pple RPing here, why is that and can i participate here in the RMB?

Allouxia wrote:-Meeting between General Bürgmütl and Admiral Rekl
Bürgmül: So invade the middle East under claims of "counter terrorism"?
Rekl: Ja


Oh hello there. Do you remember me?

Allouxia

Cote Azure wrote:Thanks, but i notice that there is pple RPing here, why is that and can i participate here in the RMB?

It's a bit more rapid fire, and more up to date (in theory). You can just start by making a post...about a day in your nation's life!

Cote Azure wrote:Oh hello there. Do you remember me?

Cote Azure wrote:Oh hello there. Do you remember me?

Yeah I almost declared war on you lol.

Cote Azure

News Report: Independence Day celebrated in Thalasus

As the patriotic holiday weekend enters its second day, the date that marks the signing of the Thalasi constitution and the official independence of the Thalasi nation arrives. Historical reenactments, political rallies and speeches (notably and controversially speeches from democratic freedom fighters from various non-democratic states), and various parties and games are occurring throughout the day and night.

Danceria wrote:In unrelated news, His Excellency, Thane Aceus Elurin has come of age, and is currently looking to study abroad to cement Danceria's relations in the international community. Some traditionalist nobles protest that the Thane ought to "rule his own house before he bursts into another", fortune has allowed that Aceus' grandfather remain the current King of Danceria. Succession laws allow for Aceus (as his grandfather has declared in his will) to ascend to the throne upon "death or deposition". We now bring you the weather report...

Upon news of Aceus' ambitions to study abroad, many large Thalasi universities began to inundate Danceria with requests for the prince. As having a foreign dignitary in attendence would be greatly prestigious for any university in a free nation, Aceus was hotly contested over. The Thalasi government eagerly awaited a response as well, hoping to impart some democratic values on the young prince.

Yevraziyskaya Rus

Yugoslavia General Elections - 2017

June 25th
A black background was lit with the fire of torches, held by rows of men and women in balaclava masks and military camo, all holding the flags of the Yugoslav nations, each separated from eachother by one holding the flag of the Yugoslavia Reclamation Front - a black flag with a stylized golden wolf in the center, the initials "JRF" on the bottom. In front was two more masked individuals holding the JRF flag, and the leader of the JRF, Vera Stepanović herself dressed in a black military uniform. The elderly woman had an expression of anger in her face, as she began to address the Sarajevo Bazaar bombing that occured just a few days ago.

"Brothers and sisters of the Illyrian nation. The past events over the past few days has illuminated our nation of the threat of foreign terror, of the threat of the Turkish government in an act of aggression against Yugoslavia deporting random migrants to our borders, the threat of foreign extremist ideologies, and of the incompetence of the Zoranić government to properly vet our nations refugees and to deport radical extremists from our fatherland. Furthermore, by attacking the heart of Yugoslav Muslims, its become clear that this is not a war between Muslims and non-Muslims but rather a war between order and chaos. Law and anarchy. Mercy and mercilessness. Our opponents cannot hide behind the veil of " Islamophobia" any longer, for it is Muslims who bear the brunt of the evil of these terror groups! Not just in Yugoslavia but in the whole world. It was a Muslim police officer who was murdered in France during the Charlie Hebdo attack. Baghdad and Kabul are bombed practically every week! To the Muslims of Yugoslavia who've been lied to by the state propaganda system into believing that we are enemies of Islam, you now know the truth.

We - Christians and Muslims must protect our Yugoslavia against all aggressors. We must protect our culture and our traditions. Never more shall we suffer under the banners of Liberalism and "Multiculturalism". Never more shall we play idle as our nation is attacked within its own heartland. Never more shall we allow these same bandits to attack our Serb Christian and Gorani Muslim brothers in Kosovo without retribution. I promise as God as my witness that if elected, I'll turn the tide. I will put Yugoslavia on the offensive. And I will defend Yugoslav nation till my dying breath!

Long live Yugoslavia!"

At that point, the torch bearing men and women in the back shouted "Long live the Slavic brotherhood!"

July 12th
It was a rainy summer day in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. Pre-Communist era Serbian buildings with both the Serbian and Yugoslav flags flying on top surrounded the crowd of HISS supporters, themselves waving the flag of the ruling Christian-Islamic Socialist Party. The HISS still maintains a strong and broad support base despite supporting some controversial positions, such as support of same sex unions, contrary to it's strong religious conservative image. Among its supporters, included many in military uniform. The HISS always enjoyed extremely strong support from the Armed Forces despite some decline in favor of the far-right JRF recently.

In keeping with this, the rally platform blasted Yugoslav Army rock music, from soldiers fighting or supporting the fight against insurgency in Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia. The HISS leader and Yugoslav President Marija Zoranić arrived in a black 2000s sedan, surrounded by Orthodox Priests, veterans from the Serbian Civil War of the late 1990s, and in the war against nationalist and Wahhabi militants in the late 2000s to present, and working class Serbs from all age groups. She shook the hands of nearby supporters as she climbed up the stage. Zoranić was in her late 40s, but conveyed a "youthful" image that the HISS hoped would attract the youth vote in 2012. This image was helped by her upbringing outside of Yugoslavia by Serb immigrants in Canada, she was probably the first Yugoslav head of state with perfectly fluent English. She was portrayed as a sort of Western leaning politician. One who wasnt infected by the after effects of the 1990s Ethnic Nationalism fad (even though she lost her Canadian citizenship over trying to recruit Orthodox Canadians into the Bosnian War). Someone willing to wave a rainbow flag in a pride parade, and take a selfie with Syrian refugees.

In 2017 however, this wasnt beneficial. And as a result, she was trying to toughen her image by amping her anti-Western views and remarks.

Zoranić began speaking to the crowd of mostly military and working class Serbs. "The Yugoslav federation is under as much pressure as it was during the fateful years of the late 1980s. We are witnessing the rise of Western influences. Of the so called "Alt-Right", of the Liberal Socialists. We are seeing an attempt to push Yugoslavia away from Jewish-Christian-Islamic values. Away from morality and dempcracy. The radical JRF extremists are pushing a campaign to dehumanize our nations Albanian community and our nations refugees who have settled in these lands for shelter and safety from terror. Stepanović claims she is not a racist, that she supports the rights of Albanians in Yugoslavia. But a man by the name of Milošević in this very town 30 years ago declared that the majority of Albanians are law abiding citizens. People like Stepanović do not declare they're racists.

They lie. They cheat. They decieve. This is their game! Things are hard. A young Yugoslav - Not a refugee - blew himself up during one of the holiest of days in the Islamic calendar. We arent living in stable times, I'll wont tell a lie. But this is the time to trust God and His plan for us. Not to turn to either extreme. Be it the extreme of far right racists or far left Antifa Marxists! We must be ready to stand our ground. To pilot this nation steadily like a ship out of the storm. Not fall to the temptations of sin, and regress our nation. I stand for all citizens of Yugoslavia. I stand for Slavs and non-Slavs. If your home is in this nation, then God has granted you the right to stay in this nation until your death and for your children and your childrens children to stay until their deaths. I stand for Christianity, for Islam, for Judaism. I will not allow our nations morals be betrayed as they have in much of Europe now. This Yugoslav nation we have now is worth preservation. And if elected, I'll oversee that preservation."

The older Serb working class citizens cheered loudly at the speech. The more radical inclined youth were less impressed, but still applauded.

Post self-deleted by Cote Azure.

Harvest, capitol city of Cote Azure

The parades crowded the streets of Harvest, as men dressed in Roman armor marched in unision as the national flag waved in the wind.

People dressed as Romans, medieval knights, colonial soldiers, chinese soldiers, all different cultures united under one banner. This was the Azuran Founder's day, when the Cote Azure legion was created during Ancient Rome. The Azuran clan was founded on that day. The Azurans had much power in the Roman senate, the emperors favored the clan in it's military tactics. The Azurans were founded on military power. Whenever the senate had an issue regarding enemies of Rome, such as Carthage, the Azuran legions were sent in. The greatest military loss the Azurans had ever took was during the Second Punic war, at the battle of Cannae. The great Carthaginian commander, Hannibal Barca, defeated the Azuran legion.

After the fall of rome, the clan split up and sought different ways to control power. The Azuran Knights were founded during the dark ages, and they carried out missions for the church. They fought bravely in the crusades and held off Viking attacks and raids.

Azuran influence even reached as far as China, serving the Emperor with honor.

The Azurans eventually found land elswhere, and began to build a nation.

Cote Azure wrote:Harvest, capitol city of Cote Azure
The parades crowded the streets of Harvest, as men dressed in Roman armor marched in unision as the national flag waved in the wind.
People dressed as Romans, medieval knights, colonial soldiers, chinese soldiers, all different cultures united under one banner. This was the Azuran Founder's day, when the Cote Azure legion was created during Ancient Rome. The Azuran clan was founded on that day. The Azurans had much power in the Roman senate, the emperors favored the clan in it's military tactics. The Azurans were founded on military power. Whenever the senate had an issue regarding enemies of Rome, such as Carthage, the Azuran legions were sent in. The greatest military loss the Azurans had ever took was during the Second Punic war, at the battle of Cannae. The great Carthaginian commander, Hannibal Barca, defeated the Azuran legion.
After the fall of rome, the clan split up and sought different ways to control power. The Azuran Knights were founded during the dark ages, and they carried out missions for the church. They fought bravely in the crusades and held off Viking attacks and raids.
Azuran influence even reached as far as China, serving the Emperor with honor.
The Azurans eventually found land elswhere, and began to build a nation.

OOC: Just so you know a few things, you're not the only "Rome" around these parts.
Escanthea is the Rome-y-est of psuedo-Romes, claiming lineage to Constantine himself. While influenced in Slavic culture, they're very much Byzantine/Eastern Roman.
French Albania: In terms of "culture", they are the most roundabout of Romes. As Rome-y as you can get from a Norman/Angevin French dominated Sicily-type deal*.

Just letting you know before you/if Escanthea denounces the existence of your Varangian Guard type history. We've been pretty tolerant of histories and existences of nations, so long as they posses neither an unrelenting urge of imperialism, nukes, or a bad taste in anime waifus**. Heck, my nation is completely based off a hodge-podge of RPGs and isn't even from Earth, so I'm sure you're quite okay.

Though it's rather fascinating that there's a Varangian Guard type nation, and could play into your wheelhouse with Escanthea's own history. Though they are very Roman and very(ish) powerful now, they weren't always. Perhaps during one of their times of strife, the Azurans could break away and form their own nation. One last thing, your nation's name sounds very...Iberian. As in influenced by Spain and Portugal. I assume your nation's location is in OTL Spain? Perhaps you and Thalasus may have a common background, so feel free to TG(telegram) him questions, or he could just chime in on his own. Last nitpick, "capital" is the city in which the capitol building is placed.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Albania_(medieval)
** the last is a tongue-in-cheek type humor. It's 0531hrs my time (5:31 for you non-military-time users) so...yeah

Now for a semi-IC moment, does your nation have what it takes to host a college-age handsome prince? Vote now on your phones! Or post an offer if you're interested, it's not mandatory.

Thalasus wrote:News Report: Independence Day celebrated in Thalasus
As the patriotic holiday weekend enters its second day, the date that marks the signing of the Thalasi constitution and the official independence of the Thalasi nation arrives. Historical reenactments, political rallies and speeches (notably and controversially speeches from democratic freedom fighters from various non-democratic states), and various parties and games are occurring throughout the day and night.
Upon news of Aceus' ambitions to study abroad, many large Thalasi universities began to inundate Danceria with requests for the prince. As having a foreign dignitary in attendence would be greatly prestigious for any university in a free nation, Aceus was hotly contested over. The Thalasi government eagerly awaited a response as well, hoping to impart some democratic values on the young prince.

While the Royal Family themselves weren't giving any decisive hints, Thalasus seemed like the most likely candidate of nation-states for Aceus to reside in. Already fluent in Spanish, and with Thalasus being the world power that it is today, it would seem like an obvious choice. "I do not wish to disrespect the Holy City of Nova Konstantinopoli with my presence." Aceus said in his first public interview. "As I am a Valarist, not Christian, I feel my presence would only bring controversy and shame to any respected academy. It is not out of arrogance that I turn down the ancient and esteemed universities of Escanthea, but I hope to convey a sense of respect towards the Escanthean culture, religion, and people." French Albania was also considered, and is still being considered, however absence of responses meant that either the French Albanians were uninterested or unable to host His Excellency.

Yevraziyskaya Rus wrote:-To Remove Kebab, or Not to Remove Kebab...That is the Question-

Even for arguably among the most progressive and democratic forms of monarchy in the known world, anyone who has stayed in Danceria for any length of time will assure you that the mindset is very much conservative. Nothing being so glaringly obvious than it's stringent anti-drug laws and immigration policies. While not as isolationist as Escanthea, Danceria remained largely aloof to the Syrian refugee crisis, if not downright oppose the unrestricted access of taking in refugees. When the Yugoslavian Elections were mentioned, His Excellency was very forward about his beliefs on the recent strain of terrorism, and citing statistics on how Danceria's relative homogeneity has contributed to it's remarkably low terrorism rate. He also has bluntly stated that the refugees ought not be accepted, on top of the risk of extremists, that "civil war isn't something you should escape from. When Danceria was threatened with war, very few went throughout the world. Most stood their ground and emerged stronger. We are putting a band-aid on a problem that requires a splint. If the citizens can afford to leave the country, but not fix it, then we should turn them away. If we can afford to assist in negotiating peace and democracy in the region, but for whatever reason they [the Syrian people] are unwilling to accept it, then why waste our money and breath? The burden of proof lies upon them, not us, to disclose their intentions. So far, their intentions are mixed at most. Long term, is immigration without a solution the best and only possible course of action for the world? Must the world accept these refugees, but not address the problem, nor act upon a solution? I hope not."

Outside of Danceria, His Excellency has been decried as a racist, and foreign experts feared that this may injure Aceus's chances of entering universities overall. Aceus responded in a follow up with a literal shrug "If the Universities are so committed to doctrine that they are unwilling to see any other path, then they should not call themselves places of academic discussion or debate. Besides, His Majesty's and my decision to study abroad is to introduce Danceria to a modern world. I hope that the modern world is as accepting of Danceria as we have been of the world."

Danceria wrote:OOC: Just so you know a few things, you're not the only "Rome" around these parts.
Escanthea is the Rome-y-est of psuedo-Romes, claiming lineage to Constantine himself. While influenced in Slavic culture, they're very much Byzantine/Eastern Roman.
French Albania: In terms of "culture", they are the most roundabout of Romes. As Rome-y as you can get from a Norman/Angevin French dominated Sicily-type deal*.
Just letting you know before you/if Escanthea denounces the existence of your Varangian Guard type history. We've been pretty tolerant of histories and existences of nations, so long as they posses neither an unrelenting urge of imperialism, nukes, or a bad taste in anime waifus**. Heck, my nation is completely based off a hodge-podge of RPGs and isn't even from Earth, so I'm sure you're quite okay.
Though it's rather fascinating that there's a Varangian Guard type nation, and could play into your wheelhouse with Escanthea's own history. Though they are very Roman and very(ish) powerful now, they weren't always. Perhaps during one of their times of strife, the Azurans could break away and form their own nation. One last thing, your nation's name sounds very...Iberian. As in influenced by Spain and Portugal. I assume your nation's location is in OTL Spain? Perhaps you and Thalasus may have a common background, so feel free to TG(telegram) him questions, or he could just chime in on his own. Last nitpick, "capital" is the city in which the capitol building is placed.
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Albania_(medieval)
** the last is a tongue-in-cheek type humor. It's 0531hrs my time (5:31 for you non-military-time users) so...yeah
Now for a semi-IC moment, does your nation have what it takes to host a college-age handsome prince? Vote now on your phones! Or post an offer if you're interested, it's not mandatory.
While the Royal Family themselves weren't giving any decisive hints, Thalasus seemed like the most likely candidate of nation-states for Aceus to reside in. Already fluent in Spanish, and with Thalasus being the world power that it is today, it would seem like an obvious choice. "I do not wish to disrespect the Holy City of Nova Konstantinopoli with my presence." Aceus said in his first public interview. "As I am a Valarist, not Christian, I feel my presence would only bring controversy and shame to any respected academy. It is not out of arrogance that I turn down the ancient and esteemed universities of Escanthea, but I hope to convey a sense of respect towards the Escanthean culture, religion, and people." French Albania was also considered, and is still being considered, however absence of responses meant that either the French Albanians were uninterested or unable to host His Excellency.
Even for arguably among the most progressive and democratic forms of monarchy in the known world, anyone who has stayed in Danceria for any length of time will assure you that the mindset is very much conservative. Nothing being so glaringly obvious than it's stringent anti-drug laws and immigration policies. While not as isolationist as Escanthea, Danceria remained largely aloof to the Syrian refugee crisis, if not downright oppose the unrestricted access of taking in refugees. When the Yugoslavian Elections were mentioned, His Excellency was very forward about his beliefs on the recent strain of terrorism, and citing statistics on how Danceria's relative homogeneity has contributed to it's remarkably low terrorism rate. He also has bluntly stated that the refugees ought not be accepted, on top of the risk of extremists, that "civil war isn't something you should escape from. When Danceria was threatened with war, very few went throughout the world. Most stood their ground and emerged stronger. We are putting a band-aid on a problem that requires a splint. If the citizens can afford to leave the country, but not fix it, then we should turn them away. If we can afford to assist in negotiating peace and democracy in the region, but for whatever reason they [the Syrian people] are unwilling to accept it, then why waste our money and breath? The burden of proof lies upon them, not us, to disclose their intentions. So far, their intentions are mixed at most. Long term, is immigration without a solution the best and only possible course of action for the world? Must the world accept these refugees, but not address the problem, nor act upon a solution? I hope not."
Outside of Danceria, His Excellency has been decried as a racist, and foreign experts feared that this may injure Aceus's chances of entering universities overall. Aceus responded in a follow up with a literal shrug "If the Universities are so committed to doctrine that they are unwilling to see any other path, then they should not call themselves places of academic discussion or debate. Besides, His Majesty's and my decision to study abroad is to introduce Danceria to a modern world. I hope that the modern world is as accepting of Danceria as we have been of the world."


I hope it's fine. The Azurans served their supuriors, they were like strong political families.

Cote Azure wrote:I hope it's fine. The Azurans served their supuriors, they were like strong political families.


And i want to add that i am NOT Rome. Remember, the Azurans just had influence in the senate. If the senate NEEDED the azurans, they would send them off to battle.

So... I'm assuming that we can do more regional-centric in-character stuff on this message board?

Cote Azure

Post self-deleted by Pantoufle.

The United Acarian Empires merely chugged along its course in present day. The nation however, was preparing for the anniversary of the coronation of the dual monarchs. Construction was going on in the capital, and parade routes were being planned. Other cities in the empire would also prepare for the celebrations, but of course Acaria would have the grandest due to being the heartland of the Empire.

Well, let's try to stay a little more active this time lol. Or act sooner on deletion notices.

Cote Azure

Danceria wrote:French Albania: In terms of "culture", they are the most roundabout of Romes. As Rome-y as you can get from a Norman/Angevin French dominated Sicily-type deal*.

Unfortunately, it's Caucasian Albania, not Albanian, er, Albania, that this nation has evolved into becoming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Albania
Yeah, that one.
Oh, also, that was 2017 Yugoslavia, not the vaguely-2000s most of our RP is set in.
I'm still confused as to why Firebrand is doing two different timelines, honestly.

Danceria wrote:French Albania was also considered, and is still being considered, however absence of responses meant that either the French Albanians were uninterested or unable to host His Excellency.

Seated behind his desk (a 'mere' office chair, as opposed to the throne he tolerated only for state affairs), Exarch Seraphin Makroleon was struggling with what to tell the Dancerians. "'We understand'...Mm. No. 'We hereby announce'...? Blegh. Terrible." He understood that a delicate, and more importantly, personal, touch was required to soothe this perceived slight against them, particularly in light of the desire to deepen the perceived wedge between them and the constant threat of the Escantheans, but questioned how that would come across in a letter when it could well have simply been written on his behalf and received his signature.
Unfortunately for his morning, the Foreign Minister had a solution that did not involve a mere letter, and chose that moment to impose it upon him.
"Dare I ask why you choose to visit, Anton? Please say the prince has died. I mean, don't actually say that, that would be terrible, but for the love of God I cannot write this letter. Perhaps some crisis involving the Feminamians?"
"I could only dream of such, your Grace. Their grace on both ramp and rail is unpa-"
"I'm inclined to side with your children on this issue. Your fascination with skateboarding is unbecoming. Especially in a man your age."
"Perhaps."
"No, seriously, it's just incredibly weird, you're forty-three for God's sake."
"Well I like it, and also like that it embarrasses my children. They should grow some thicker skin. Back to the subject, I've decided that the most personal touch possible for this Dancerian issue is a phone call, and have accordingly arranged a call between yourself and Thane Aramer."
"Kill me now."
"Hardly. In the first place, I'm no regicide. In the second, Leon isn't old enough to take this call, and certainly not the throne. He can hardly take three steps without falling."
"He's thirteen months. He can walk."
"He can also just about babble 'da da' on a good day. I'm afraid that it's going to be you or him making this call, and 'da da' doesn't quite convey 'we would very much like to host your grandson and heir to foster better relations between our nations' without quite spelling out 'those Escantheans over there are scary would you like to be friends in case they come after one of us'."
"I allow you all far too many liberties in your address."
"It is doubtless a sign of the immense trust you place in your most loyal friends and aides. Now put on a happy voice, I'll start the call and get the initial pleasantries out of the way."
Ten minutes later, the Exarch was (at least outwardly) having a smooth conversation with Danceria's King, for all that he was inwardly dreaming of strangling his Foreign Minister.
"Oh, no, no no, of course not," Exarch Makroleon said, the easy laugh in his voice providing a marked contrast with the intense glower he was throwing Theroux. "French Albania would be delighted to host the young Thane - where better for him to find a bride of suitably high birth, after all?"
"Your cousins," Theroux hissed at him as he was nodding along to the Thane's answer. "It's your best chance."
The Exarch placed a hand over the receiver to hiss back something incomprehensible that vaguely resembled 'shuttafugup' before returning, with nary but a single throat-clearing cough, to his conversation. "Why, I have just the young lady in mind. My uncle, on my father's side, naturally, had three girls, and two are right around Aceus' age. I believe he would find Cara in particular a delight, and she has always been fascinated with your people, and Valarism in particular. Of course, they would have to meet first to see if they were compatible, and where better than the school she will begin attending next year? I believe it's been rated among the finest establishments..."
Soon, although doubtless by his standards, not soon enough, the call had been resolved, and though nothing had been promised, at the very least the Dancerians had been provided a strong inducement to send their heir to French Albania. A marriage alliance might not be worth quite as much as it did a century ago, but blood ties still counted for something, after all.

Cote Azure wrote:And i want to add that i am NOT Rome. Remember, the Azurans just had influence in the senate. If the senate NEEDED the azurans, they would send them off to battle.

I'm sort of assuming they were foederati of some form. Really, really early foederati, perhaps from Cisalpine Gaul, but not (necessarily) ethnically Italian as a result of that.
That or I suppose they could have just one of the many gens from early in the Roman Republic, but one that managed to maintain an independent identity, perhaps through migrating off into the provinces...and then just sort of being buffeted about like the Jews. Or at least absorbing other ethnic groups into themselves, like, say, the Khazar adoption of Judaism. Or the Beta Israel in Ethiopia (unless you accept their assertion that they're the lost tribe of Dan). There's a lot of Jewish analogies is what I'm saying, mostly because the Jews are the diaspora-iest race on the planet.

The United Acarian Empires

«12. . .717718719720721722723. . .830831»