by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .490491492493494495»

Post self-deleted by Tai Pei.

"There's nothing more gay than bleeding for your nation."

Nice one NationStates

Waldoven and Sovobodia

Time for UCRs to unite!!



The Problem


NationStates (NS) is a game full of many different, diverse and innovative regions. There are hundreds of different regions to choose from, each with a different community, a different focus and a different culture. There is something for everyone. This means that gameplay can be fun and enjoyable for all, everyone can find their home where they can take part in gameplay (which is the focus of this dispatch, rather than roleplay) and we can be in a fair, diverse, wider community without fun being spoilt by someone else.

However, this is not entirely the case. NS gameplay is dominated by game-created-regions, rather than the more numerous user-created-regions. The larger size and status of GCRs leads to notable figures involved in the gameplay side of NS joining GCRs, instead of focusing on building and promoting UCRs. These 'GCR exclusivists' are prone to complaining about UCRs, who are generally the innocent party in this.

GCRs are able to use their size and power to show diplomatic, political and military influence larger than any UCR could ever do. They have large militaries that they use to invade innocent UCRs, partaking in occasional defences to clear their name. In the WA, their delegates hold a huge voting power, so large that the GCR delegates can easily sway any WA resolution vote to their advantage, outweighing the interests of smaller regions. Some GCRs capitalise on this by creating dispatches asking people to vote a certain way, before upvoting said dispatch to the top spots on the dispatches page. This leads to oblivious nations blindly voting in the WA based on the wishes of GCRs. While this sounds unimportant, it can be the difference between a region being liberated or not liberated, thus deciding the future of a region that several nations call, or have called, home.

Ultimately, GCRs are power-hungry, influence-seeking regions who are concerned about themselves and themselves only, even if this is at the expense of the rest of the NS community.



The Userite


GCRs get all the attention, yet this does not mean that it is GCRs that are the ones who deserve all the attention. Moreover, it is the UCRs that are the ones who deserve the attention. Hundreds of different regions, most of which are innovative, diverse and great communities. UCRs cater for anybody's and everybody's needs. For example, there are UCRs who do not have discords, for those who prefer onsite. There are UCRs that have clever gimmicks, such as centrally-planned economies and communities that travel between other UCRs on the site.

UCRs also have stronger communities than GCRs. The activity level of most GCRs is somewhat overwhelming, and the size of the regions mean that it's more difficult for new players to get involved and noticed, not impossible, but daunting. Meanwhile UCRs have somewhat active communities where smaller groups of nations get to know each other, build regions and build close bonds with each other. The more diverse nature of UCRs also means that it is easier for people to find somewhere they feel at home, from where they can be themselves, and enjoy themselves. GCRs are more vanilla, less original than this.

I do give some credit to GCRs for what they do, but the real problem is how GCRs get all the attention, and none is given to the regions that have made NS into the wonder it is today. GCRs just take all the attention and give up none to the userites, who are ever bit as innovative, every bit as creative, or arguably, more so, in ways that GCRs could never imagine. I also admit that not all UCRs are perfect. There are many inactive UCRs with only a couple of nations in them, but the focus should be on the more active, more innovative medium-large UCRs (including most regions between 10-1000 nations, although not all are necessarily active). More worryingly, there are the odd fascist, imperialist and discriminatory UCRs, whose creativity I do not celebrate, whose attention I do not give and whose activities I do not condone. However, they are the few bad eggs in a plentiful batch.

At the end of the day, it is the UCRs that are the underappreciated, understated regions that are just as, if not more vital than GCRs.



Going Forward


The in-game power of the GCRs (in regards to the WA and general diplomacy), we cannot overcome, unless if the mods create more GCRs to outweigh the power balance of them, or lessen their power through changing the games code in some other way. But we, as players can do our bit ourselves.

If you are in a GCR, then evaluate why you're there. Perhaps take a look at smaller regions, or even the larger UCRs, and move a puppet into one or two regions to see what their community is like. Try a different type of region. If you like it, then get involved there and make it your main region. If you want to remain in a GCR, remember that power and influence is not everything, and doesn't gain any real benefit in life. So feel free to un-endorse a GCR delegate, attempt to persuade your government to be more considerate of UCRs and less influence-focused.

If you're in a UCR, then pull out or stay out of GCR-focused WA alliances. If you have a regional military, then band together with other UCR militaries to oppose GCRs. Focus on making diplomatic relations with other UCRs, not GCRs. If we're in this together, it is much easier than if we try to protect our own position by building relations with GCRs.

For both, you can always try to ignore GCR voting dispatches, or counter them by downvoting them. The same goes for other not-relevant GCR dispatches.

This is just a few ideas that can get people started in countering the power of GCRs. You can always come up with more of your own and share these with those around you. There are things that the average NS player can do to give UCRs their rightful place as innovators and diversifiers, and the appreciation that they deserve.

Read dispatch

Waldoven, France Europe, and 2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

How are the god damn pandas not god damn extinct by now!?

Tai Pei wrote:How are the god damn pandas not god damn extinct by now!?

If they're extinct, who's gonna become the Dragon Warrior!? Ever thought about that!?

Sovobodia wrote:If they're extinct, who's gonna become the Dragon Warrior!? Ever thought about that!?

Shut the up.

Tai Pei wrote:Shut the up.

Up the shut

Waldoven wrote:Up the shut

The.

Tai Pei wrote:The.

Up.

Waldoven wrote:Up.

THE.

Tai Pei wrote:THE.

SHUT.

2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

Hey guys, this is kind of becoming spam

Sail Nation, Waldoven, and Ogliacia

2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid wrote:Hey guys, this is kind of becoming spam

Sorry.

Waldoven and 2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid wrote:Hey guys, this is kind of becoming spam

Well... uhh.. were helping to boost activity? B)

/j

2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

Waldoven wrote:Well... uhh.. were helping to boost activity? B)

/j

I mean. Its an abandoned* region?

2-4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid wrote:I mean. Its an abandoned* region?

Does that matter?

Waldoven wrote:Well... uhh.. were helping to boost activity? B)

/j

Correct.

Tsereia wrote:Does that matter?

Yes.

Do you call people from Belgium... Belgoids?

Sort of worried about my endorsement count now - I only have three endorsements, one of which is from Matroyska, who we know will CTE before Lorania Founder does. We need to keep me as delegate, so if you are able to join the WA, please do so now and endorse me if you haven't already.

This does mean that we are very vulnerable to raids - basically we can be raided by anyone if they get their timing right (that is, once Lorania Founder has CTEd).

If you see any indication of someone talking of organising a raid on this region, please contact me immediately. We will hopefully get the support of some defender organisations in case of a raid once Lorania Founder CTEs (I will do my best to ensure that the region is passworded immediately following the CTEing of Lorania Founder).

Tsereia wrote:No.

Yes.

Voljundok tamriel factbooks

hey, saw y'all were recruiter friendly! don't mind me

"𝕴𝖓 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖋𝖊, 𝖎𝖓 𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖐𝖓𝖊𝖘𝖘, 𝖈𝖔𝖑𝖉, 𝖜𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖇𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖐 𝖚𝖓𝖋𝖚𝖗𝖑..."

𝘐𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳 4𝘌 201, 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘴 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘛𝘢𝘮𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘭. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘓𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘋𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘶𝘱𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘰𝘧 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦...

𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘔𝘰𝘰𝘯-𝘢𝘯𝘥-𝘚𝘵𝘢𝘳, 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘛𝘢𝘮𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘭, 𝘢𝘯 𝘌𝘭𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘮 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯/𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘳. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘛𝘢𝘮𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 201𝘴𝘵 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘩 𝘌𝘳𝘢 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘛𝘢𝘮𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘭, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘋𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘧𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘚𝘬𝘺𝘳𝘪𝘮. 𝘍𝘶𝘭𝘧𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘴, 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘹 𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴, 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘫𝘰𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘛𝘢𝘮𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘭!

The Mainland of Tamriel

It is sad to see that Zweites has CTEd. ZweiPrue was one of the first nations inside the region, and helped build it up into what it has become. They operated Lorania's first api recruitment program, that catapulted the region up to a peak of around 65 nations, the highest population the region would receive until another recruitment campaign and movement of nations led to us achieving a peak of around 95 nations a few months later. Zweites would also serve as Chief Justice for Lorania's first two terms.

Zweites was much more active during Lorania's early days, an active member of the community. They started to go inactive during my term as PM, right in the middle of the Bio crisis. While I believe that this was not intentional, it had the side effect of slowing down the government's response to the situation, and I apologise for my part in that. It could be argued that crisis was what started the downfall of Lorania. But still, Zweites would stay here and would occasionally post comments advising and sometimes criticising. We've had the odd dispute, which I'm sorry for as well.

They were also a key member of previous regions of the community, and were a key figure in TCC, which effectively served as our sister region until it's closure around this time last year. It was sad to see our friends there have their region closed, and they were an important part of our community as well as we were of theirs. Up until now, Zweites was the nation with the longest length of residence within Lorania (following Stolk switching his puppet and the CTEing and departure of other nations such as Skundi and Excal). I am now the nation with the longest residence in Lorania aside from the founder, this is something that I never thought I would be. I never thought that I would have the responsibility of the closure of the region in my hands, that I would be the region's longest serving delegate, the nation with the most influence (putting me in a position to password the region).

Thanks Zweites, for what you've done, especially in growing Lorania into such a thriving community back before we all started arguing.

------

Now I would like anyone who is a former Loranian native, or who holds a puppet in the region, to send in a puppet and endorse me if possible. I am low on endorsements, and it would be great to have some more support for the next three weeks, to protect this region (we don't want this to become a trophy region). Your help to keep Lorania's history safe is much appreciated.

Stolkland, Mahishmati, Ogliacia, Donelant Holorendal, and 2 othersTsereia, and Gasconania

Sail Nation wrote:It is sad to see that Zweites has CTEd. ZweiPrue was one of the first nations inside the region, and helped build it up into what it has become. They operated Lorania's first api recruitment program, that catapulted the region up to a peak of around 65 nations, the highest population the region would receive until another recruitment campaign and movement of nations led to us achieving a peak of around 95 nations a few months later. Zweites would also serve as Chief Justice for Lorania's first two terms.

Zweites was much more active during Lorania's early days, an active member of the community. They started to go inactive during my term as PM, right in the middle of the Bio crisis. While I believe that this was not intentional, it had the side effect of slowing down the government's response to the situation, and I apologise for my part in that. It could be argued that crisis was what started the downfall of Lorania. But still, Zweites would stay here and would occasionally post comments advising and sometimes criticising. We've had the odd dispute, which I'm sorry for as well.

They were also a key member of previous regions of the community, and were a key figure in TCC, which effectively served as our sister region until it's closure around this time last year. It was sad to see our friends there have their region closed, and they were an important part of our community as well as we were of theirs. Up until now, Zweites was the nation with the longest length of residence within Lorania (following Stolk switching his puppet and the CTEing and departure of other nations such as Skundi and Excal). I am now the nation with the longest residence in Lorania aside from the founder, this is something that I never thought I would be. I never thought that I would have the responsibility of the closure of the region in my hands, that I would be the region's longest serving delegate, the nation with the most influence (putting me in a position to password the region).

Thanks Zweites, for what you've done, especially in growing Lorania into such a thriving community back before we all started arguing.

------

Now I would like anyone who is a former Loranian native, or who holds a puppet in the region, to send in a puppet and endorse me if possible. I am low on endorsements, and it would be great to have some more support for the next three weeks, to protect this region (we don't want this to become a trophy region). Your help to keep Lorania's history safe is much appreciated.

Thank you for all your hard work.

«12. . .490491492493494495»

Advertisement