by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Forest Board

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .1,5421,5431,5441,5451,5461,5471,548. . .1,6131,614»

V a n q u a r i a

Outer Bele Levy Epies wrote:At least it's not a zombie.

...truuuu

Myordas wrote:I decided to find a non-existent crush from thispersondoesnotexist.com.

(100% legit, not clickbait.)

I feel like there's an issue in there somewhere, around fake identities and cybercrime.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

I feel like there's an issue in there somewhere, around fake identities and cybercrime.

Is there an issue about deepfaking already or no?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I feel like there's an issue in there somewhere, around fake identities and cybercrime.

I'm kinda like that Japanese man who married an AI "Hatsume Miku".

Also, It can be a good issue in NS if your country accepts GANs or not. I have an idea, change the name of the site to something funny into the issue, probably thishumanisnonexistant

I'm looking at Issue #338, which is about noise pollution. But for some reason, not adding noise pollution restrictions is BETTER for the environment. That makes no sense!

Hello, Forest! Ambassador Wiskawga here.

Here is Pacifica's foreign update for September:




Incumbent Government
President: Cormactopia Prime
Vice President: Rocky Peaks
Prime Minister: Shoalia
Minister of Culture: Toerana III
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Ayeinc
Minister of Home Affairs: Wymondham
Minister of Information: Wiskawga
Minister of Intelligence: Badivermeraed


Amendments to the Charter

The Charter of the Pacifica Democratic Union saw some key changes in the last few months, including the:

The Ministry Reform Amendment (Passed 35:3) which effectively dissolved the Ministry of Defense, shifting it's responsibilities to Home Affairs. It also installed the Ministry of Intelligence and Ministry of Information as more permanent fixtures in the government.

The Proscription Amendment (Passed 34:1) which gave Pacifica the right to proscribe regions for regional security. Members of a proscribed community may not cross our borders and citizens may not participate in those regions without a proper waiver from the President and Prime Minister.

The Legal Code Amendment (Passed 36:1) which allows for the creation of supplemental legislation that wouldn't suit the Charter.

Elections

Pacifica held its second Prime Ministerial election on the 30th of August 2019; voting closed on the 2nd of September 2019. The Prime Ministerial Election was fairly uneventful, seeing the Incumbent Minister stand for reelection unopposed, after being nominated by various Pacificans. A vote was held simply as a formality, with only Shoalia and abstain as options.

Shoalia was reinstated as Prime Minister, securing 35 of the 39 eligible votes cast.

Ministries
The Ministries were restaffed by the existing Ministers upon Shoalia's reelection.

  • Foreign Affairs
    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, headed by Ayeinc, has been working to evaluate regions that Pacifica has relations with in order to ensure ties are mutually beneficial. They are currently working on a new embassy policy and a redefining of the MoFA promotion system, which sets guidelines for future assignments and expectations of members of Foreign Affairs. MoFA has officially promoted its first High Commissioner- congratulations to Dino Pacifica Mission!

  • Information
    The Ministry of Information, headed by Wiskawga, has been working behind the scenes to help plan a regional newspaper for Pacifica, as well as revamp the existing welcoming assets for new members of our community. They have also been working on a collaborative rewards program with the Ministry of Culture.

  • Home Affairs
    The Ministry of Home Affairs, headed by Wymondham, has seen large changes since the last update was released, officially taking over regional security. MoHA is currently working on revamping RMB rules, as well as discussing potential supplimental legislation and a Code of Law.

  • Culture
    The Ministry of Culture, headed by Toerana III, is currently working on gameside roleplays for Pacifican citizens after updating our regional map, which now features the neutral ground "Terra Pacificus" and our regional capital, Kanaloa. They have also been working on the Pacifica Roleplay Rewards initiative with Information to encourage quality roleplay and participation in the region.

  • Intelligence
    The Ministry of Intelligence, headed by Badivermeraed, is currently discussing the potential of an interregional program. In addition, the ministry has been keeping watch of Pacifica's borders, in collaboration with MoHA, keeping citizens safe from repeat offenders and their puppets.

Read dispatch


An upvote would be much appreciated.

Have a good one!

Octopus Islands wrote:I'm looking at Issue #338, which is about noise pollution. But for some reason, not adding noise pollution restrictions is BETTER for the environment. That makes no sense!

Without the restrictions, the environmentalists can hear that the environment is being destroyed and stop whoever is doing that.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Ooh, can someone tell Trump that please?

Honestly you could easily convince him if you stroked his ego enough.

The Cypher Nine wrote:Honestly you could easily convince him if you stroked his ego enough.

I'm not stroking anything of Trump's.

Been there before with Bill Clinton, and I tell you, these presidents never call you up the next morning.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'm not stroking anything of Trump's.

Been there before with Bill Clinton, and I tell you, these presidents never call you up the next morning.

If it got him to leave office I might be convinced to do a lot of things I donít want to do.

The Cypher Nine wrote:If it got him to leave office I might be convinced to do a lot of things I donít want to do.

There's no real point dwelling that much on Trump. There isn't anything we can do about him until 2020, he was elected by the people and thus he shall lead the people.

Octopus Islands wrote:There's no real point dwelling that much on Trump. There isn't anything we can do about him until 2020, he was elected by the people and thus he shall lead the people.

He wasnít elected by the people, thats the problem.

Mount Seymour wrote:Looking forward to seeing who will run for FK. Turbeaux has been a great FK these past six months and I'm sad that he's not running again. :(

Thank you! I definitely will not have time to hold the position over another term.

The Cypher Nine wrote:He wasnít elected by the people, thats the problem.

But the US has to give states like Wyoming and North Dakota oversized influence because 'Murica!

Hey, you can blame us Brits for first-past-the-post "democracy". That system made sense in ye olden days when you sent your local representative to London to represent your shire's interests, but makes a whole lot less sense in the information age.

Oddly enough though, the parties that hold all the power don't seem that interested in reforming a system that gives them all the power...

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hey, you can blame us Brits for first-past-the-post "democracy". That system made sense in ye olden days when you sent your local representative to London to represent your shire's interests, but makes a whole lot less sense in the information age.

Oddly enough though, the parties that hold all the power don't seem that interested in reforming a system that gives them all the power...

At least y'all have a parliamentary system without an imperial presidency. Obviously, there are some huge flaws in the UK's government (even setting aside the Brexit catastrophe) but at least PMs cannot influence government for decades by appointing politicized judges to the Supreme Court.

Turbeaux wrote:At least y'all have a parliamentary system without an imperial presidency. Obviously, there are some huge flaws in the UK's government (even setting aside the Brexit catastrophe) but at least PMs cannot influence government for decades by appointing politicized judges to the Supreme Court.

Right, it's much simpler for us.

The Queen decides.

That is, the Queen decides to appoint who the Prime Minister's advises, and must do so, for fear of constitutional crisis.

That is, the Prime Minister advises according to the Select Committee's recommendation. That is, he or she is legally obliged to do so.

Of course, it'd make no sense at all for the Select Committee to appoint Supreme Court judges. No sense at all.

But yes, better than the American system. Still, at least in America you can be sure that your jury is a random selection of candidates from the general population, and not the result of a pre-court minigame of jury selection shenanigans where each side will try to undermine justice in their favour.

Oh, wait...

Turbeaux wrote:At least y'all have a parliamentary system without an imperial presidency.

What we have is a system based on parliamentary sovereignty in which a Prime Minister who has lost every single parliamentary vote since he took over has been able to suspend parliament to prevent opposition to a programme that has never been presented at an election. You may not have picked the best time to big up our (lack of a) constitution.

If only the real world could function properly with a system as simple as the Forest Keeper elections.

Octopus Islands wrote:If only the real world could function properly with a system as simple as the Forest Keeper elections.

I mean, our system is just as worrisome. If Errinundera suddenly became a bad actor or died...

Uan aa Boa wrote:What we have is a system based on parliamentary sovereignty in which a Prime Minister who has lost every single parliamentary vote since he took over has been able to suspend parliament to prevent opposition to a programme that has never been presented at an election. You may not have picked the best time to big up our (lack of a) constitution.

I'm not saying that the UK is perfect or the US is 100% wrong. I just really dislike what the Supreme Court and presidency have turned into and I believe that the founding fathers might share my opinion when they regained consciousness after fainting from the lack of chattel slaves, omnipresence of incomprehensible technologies, and fashion trends of the distant future. I don't deify those men as many Americans seem to do, I just think that the concept of them traveling to the future is interesting and kind of amusing.

Octopus Islands wrote:There's no real point dwelling that much on Trump. There isn't anything we can do about him until 2020, he was elected by the people and thus he shall lead the people.

I would say rather that just enough people in just enough of the correct, specific states voted for him. He won by a combined 70k votes or something in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. By contrast, the Democrat won by over 300k votes in Brooklyn, NY alone. But those people don't count because they live in cities and we have the Electoral College.

Turbeaux wrote:I'm not saying that the UK is perfect or the US is 100% wrong. I just really dislike what the Supreme Court and presidency have turned into and I believe that the founding fathers might share my opinion when they regained consciousness after fainting from the lack of chattel slaves, omnipresence of incomprehensible technologies, and fashion trends of the distant future. I don't deify those men as many Americans seem to do, I just think that the concept of them traveling to the future is interesting and kind of amusing.

One of the things that I have come to dislike about the American system of politics is the Senate. The House seats are apportioned by population, but each state gets two senators, regardless of size. Now, in the original system of thirteen states on the East Coast, with a much smaller difference between the largest and smallest states in 1790 as opposed to 2010 or 2020, it was an essential part of the compromise to get small states on board peacefully. Yet, until the early 20th century, I think, senators were not elected by the people of the states, but by the state legislatures. This affirmed that there was some difference between 'the people' and 'the states,' and that the US was essentially a confederation in the beginning.

Today, however, this has been both undermined and made ridiculous. First, the senators are no longer elected by the states' legislatures, but by the people of those states. Yet, half of the population lives in the largest nine states, who collectively elect about half of the House (as you would expect), but only 18 of the 100 senators. The other half of the population that lives in the smallest 41 states elect roughly half of the House (again, as you would expect), but they elect 82 of the 100 senators! So despite the move to democratize the senate by throwing the elections to the people, we are left with a situation where one half of the population gets to elect half of the House and 18% of the senate, but where the other half gets to elect half of the house and virtually the entire Senate, for what it's worth.

A deeper problem, at least in mind, is that we are not, in effect, a confederation anymore, and haven't been for a long time. Of course, at one point almost the entire population, except for small children or recent migrants were newly-minted American citizens, having previously been Virginians or Rhode Islanders or whatever, but for the vast majority of American history, everyone has simply been American. Nobody today thinks of themselves as primarily Pennsylvanian or Texan, and peripherally American. No, we are one country that is divided into fifty very different and unequal states, and the way that the elections work is through this meaningless distinction of "the states" as some different, autonomous entity that has nothing to do with the people who live there or anything. Of course, even the states are merely the collective of everyone who lives in them. If nobody lived in Wyoming, say, there would be no Wyoming to meaningfully speak of.

To me, either the senate should be done away with altogether, or the states themselves should be redrawn to include the same population, thus obviating the problem. Same for the electoral college; it's bogus in today's world, if indeed it ever did serve a legitimate purpose. And in lieu of abolishing the electoral college, a massive improvement could be made if electoral votes were awarded proportionally to the vote within each state, not as a winner-take-all system.

I think the Dems could actually get the electoral college removed if they wanted, not sure why they haven't yet.

I have no emigration or immigration and just got an issue on Bigtopians stealing our jobs... how could this happen lol

Octopus Islands wrote:I think the Dems could actually get the electoral college removed if they wanted, not sure why they haven't yet.

Maybe soon, we'll see:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

Notice that many of the states not participating are Republican strongholds and/or tiny. Also, this will not fix the fact that the Senate is set up in such a way that tiny states get overrepresented.

EDIT: Welcome back, Feline masters!

Post self-deleted by Turbeaux.

«12. . .1,5421,5431,5441,5451,5461,5471,548. . .1,6131,614»

Advertisement