by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

Council of Constructed Languages Board

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .181182183184185186187188189»

Does anyone have any free (webpages, pdf, etc) info about Chinese folk religion in Northern China, like around Hebei, during the Han Dynasty? NOT Confucianism or Taoism, but they're all heavily intertwined so there's not too much problem there.

Bunkaiia wrote:I'm a teacher

q'area?
what subject?

Welsh-Bern wrote:Does anyone have any free (webpages, pdf, etc) info about Chinese folk religion in Northern China, like around Hebei, during the Han Dynasty? NOT Confucianism or Taoism, but they're all heavily intertwined so there's not too much problem there.

I haven't read through these, so I don't know how relevant they are but you should be able to get at least some good info there I suspect:

https://www.academia.edu/42386377/Reflections_on_John_Lagerwey_and_Marc_Kalinowskis_Early_Chinese_Religion_Part_One_Shang_through_Han_1250_BC_220_AD_

https://www.academia.edu/22612032/_Ritual_Practices_for_Constructing_Terrestrial_Space_Warring_States_Early_Han_In_HdO_Early_Chinese_Religion_Part_One_Shang_through_Han_1250_BC_220_AD_eds_John_Lagerwey_and_Marc_Kalinowski_Leiden_Boston_Brill_2009_pp_595_644

https://www.academia.edu/44420079/Chinese_Religion

https://www.academia.edu/6919287/Religion_and_Society_A_Summary_of_French_Studies_on_Chinese_Religion

https://www.academia.edu/26848849/Poetry_and_Religion_The_Representation_of_Truth_in_Early_Chinese_Historiography

https://www.academia.edu/35955887/review_of_Religion_and_chinese_society_3_2016_3_24_Ancestor_Worship_and_the_Longevity_of_Chinese_Civilization

If you can't open these, let me know and I'll download them and send them to you.

Kuerhyedeenistan wrote:I haven't read through these, so I don't know how relevant they are but you should be able to get at least some good info there I suspect:

https://www.academia.edu/42386377/Reflections_on_John_Lagerwey_and_Marc_Kalinowskis_Early_Chinese_Religion_Part_One_Shang_through_Han_1250_BC_220_AD_

https://www.academia.edu/22612032/_Ritual_Practices_for_Constructing_Terrestrial_Space_Warring_States_Early_Han_In_HdO_Early_Chinese_Religion_Part_One_Shang_through_Han_1250_BC_220_AD_eds_John_Lagerwey_and_Marc_Kalinowski_Leiden_Boston_Brill_2009_pp_595_644

https://www.academia.edu/44420079/Chinese_Religion

https://www.academia.edu/6919287/Religion_and_Society_A_Summary_of_French_Studies_on_Chinese_Religion

https://www.academia.edu/26848849/Poetry_and_Religion_The_Representation_of_Truth_in_Early_Chinese_Historiography

https://www.academia.edu/35955887/review_of_Religion_and_chinese_society_3_2016_3_24_Ancestor_Worship_and_the_Longevity_of_Chinese_Civilization

If you can't open these, let me know and I'll download them and send them to you.

Thank you. Now I have to rewrite my entire con-religion.

Welsh-Bern wrote:Thank you. Now I have to rewrite my entire con-religion.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry. XD

Kowani wrote:q'area?
what subject?

Social Studies, I actually teach a full quarter in 7th grade Civics using NS

Kuerhyedeenistan wrote:You're welcome, and I'm sorry. XD

Wait, it turns out I don't have to make a super drastic revision.

You see, my constructed religion, called Takasueng, is another Chinese folk religion which draws concepts from, well, Chinese folk religion. But it also is heavily influenced by Confucianism and Taoism, somewhat unintentionally I will admit.

Now, while reading one of your sources, I realized that the Shangdi, the Primordial Deity of most Chinese folk religions, was heavily downplayed in Takasueng even though the Shangdi is kinda a big deal. I realized I needed to revise the entire religion and its concepts... until I realized I glossed over a part of the text that read that by the Han Dynasty, Mr. Shangdi simply became "Heaven", which more easily fits into one of the concepts of Takasueng (Pukasa, i.e. bao ying or karma).

Oh. There's still ancestor worship and divination. I did have to add to the divination part though to explicitly mention shamans as well as the I Ching.

Welsh-Bern wrote:Wait, it turns out I don't have to make a super drastic revision.

You see, my constructed religion, called Takasueng, is another Chinese folk religion which draws concepts from, well, Chinese folk religion. But it also is heavily influenced by Confucianism and Taoism, somewhat unintentionally I will admit.

Now, while reading one of your sources, I realized that the Shangdi, the Primordial Deity of most Chinese folk religions, was heavily downplayed in Takasueng even though the Shangdi is kinda a big deal. I realized I needed to revise the entire religion and its concepts... until I realized I glossed over a part of the text that read that by the Han Dynasty, Mr. Shangdi simply became "Heaven", which more easily fits into one of the concepts of Takasueng (Pukasa, i.e. bao ying or karma).

Oh. There's still ancestor worship and divination. I did have to add to the divination part though to explicitly mention shamans as well as the I Ching.

Nice. :)
I should probably work on a native religion for the Kuer (and the Inna) as well.

Yay, more worldbuilding!

Welsh-Bern wrote:Wait, it turns out I don't have to make a super drastic revision.

You see, my constructed religion, called Takasueng, is another Chinese folk religion which draws concepts from, well, Chinese folk religion. But it also is heavily influenced by Confucianism and Taoism, somewhat unintentionally I will admit.

Now, while reading one of your sources, I realized that the Shangdi, the Primordial Deity of most Chinese folk religions, was heavily downplayed in Takasueng even though the Shangdi is kinda a big deal. I realized I needed to revise the entire religion and its concepts... until I realized I glossed over a part of the text that read that by the Han Dynasty, Mr. Shangdi simply became "Heaven", which more easily fits into one of the concepts of Takasueng (Pukasa, i.e. bao ying or karma).

Oh. There's still ancestor worship and divination. I did have to add to the divination part though to explicitly mention shamans as well as the I Ching.

Forgive me, but why and how did a Welshified city in Switzerland begin to adhere to a Ancient Chinese folk religion?

Bunkaiia wrote:Forgive me, but why and how did a Welshified city in Switzerland begin to adhere to a Ancient Chinese folk religion?

Now you're asking the real questions here

Bunkaiia wrote:Social Studies, I actually teach a full quarter in 7th grade Civics using NS

N’mal
Not bad

Welsh-Bern wrote:Wait, it turns out I don't have to make a super drastic revision.

You see, my constructed religion, called Takasueng, is another Chinese folk religion which draws concepts from, well, Chinese folk religion. But it also is heavily influenced by Confucianism and Taoism, somewhat unintentionally I will admit.

Now, while reading one of your sources, I realized that the Shangdi, the Primordial Deity of most Chinese folk religions, was heavily downplayed in Takasueng even though the Shangdi is kinda a big deal. I realized I needed to revise the entire religion and its concepts... until I realized I glossed over a part of the text that read that by the Han Dynasty, Mr. Shangdi simply became "Heaven", which more easily fits into one of the concepts of Takasueng (Pukasa, i.e. bao ying or karma).

Oh. There's still ancestor worship and divination. I did have to add to the divination part though to explicitly mention shamans as well as the I Ching.

Notaría q’Çijhuandi realment n’sobreviví mâya q’as dinastias mântiguas, sendo combiná c’o cencepto má’geral d’cel. Má no sentí clásico xino, “cel” n’é “cel” com nós l’tem. S’refere mâos procesos naturais, o “bom orden” das cosas. É vista naturalista, n’sob’naturaol

I would note that “Shi Huangdi” didn’t really survive past the oldest dynasties, being folded into the more general concept of “heaven”. But I’m traditional Chinese understanding, “heaven” isn’t “heaven” like we understand it. It refers more to natural processes, the “right order” of things. The Classical Chinese worldview is naturalistic, not supernatural .

Bunkaiia wrote:Forgive me, but why and how did a Welshified city in Switzerland begin to adhere to a Ancient Chinese folk religion?

I am a puppet of The Sakhalinsk Empire. Actually, I was the first nation of said individual. My name is a misspelling of "Welsch-Bern".

The culture is not for this nation. It is a project independent of NationStates; I simply am using this nation as a liaison to the CCL.

Kowani wrote:N’mal
Not bad

Notaría q’Çijhuandi realment n’sobreviví mâya q’as dinastias mântiguas, sendo combiná c’o cencepto má’geral d’cel. Má no sentí clásico xino, “cel” n’é “cel” com nós l’tem. S’refere mâos procesos naturais, o “bom orden” das cosas. É vista naturalista, n’sob’naturaol

I would note that “Shi Huangdi” didn’t really survive past the oldest dynasties, being folded into the more general concept of “heaven”. But I’m traditional Chinese understanding, “heaven” isn’t “heaven” like we understand it. It refers more to natural processes, the “right order” of things. The Classical Chinese worldview is naturalistic, not supernatural .

1. I am not referring to Qin Shi Huang, the Emperor of the Qin Dynasty. I am referring to Shangdi, which, in the Shang and Zhou Dynasties, referred to a Supreme Deity.

2. I know "heaven" isn't the same concept. In Takasueng, I have adapted the term to refer to the universe as a whole; according to Pukasa or bao ying, the universe is a moral one, and I personally believe that "heaven" would be a good way to represent this concept.

I am not 100% confident in my answers. Please tell me if I have made any errors here.

Welsh-Bern wrote:1. I am not referring to Qin Shi Huang, the Emperor of the Qin Dynasty. I am referring to Shangdi, which, in the Shang and Zhou Dynasties, referred to a Supreme Deity.

2. I know "heaven" isn't the same concept. In Takasueng, I have adapted the term to refer to the universe as a whole; according to Pukasa or bao ying, the universe is a moral one, and I personally believe that "heaven" would be a good way to represent this concept.

I am not 100% confident in my answers. Please tell me if I have made any errors here.

1: this is correct, yes
i was rushing when i made my original post and crossed together the two names

2: that seems more or less coherent with the concept of tien, yes
perhaps slightly more expansive than our world's understanding, but not in a bad way

I never completed any of my conlangs and everyone is hidden in the garbage far away from the light of this world. My worst struggle is that I focus so much on simplicity and therefore make solutions that complicates the language even more. Feel free to read my latest factbook, treating the progress of Fekerstanbuli. This time: numerals! If you've got any questions regarding the language and it's system, feel free to ask here and I'll try my best to answer. Thanks XD :D

Kuerhyedeenistan wrote:Word of the day:
Work

Kuerhyét: Verb: beayä - to work, to make. Noun: beaya - profession, employment, place of work, piece of work, product
Inna: Verb: daɣ - to work. Noun: dəɣɣə - profession, employment, place of work, beɣɣu - piece of work, product, result
Sāsjki: Verb: arebej - (to) work. Noun: jabba - profession, employment, place of work, assignment, dudju - piece of work, piece of art

Bunkaiian:
Work
Noun: Koru [kɒːru]
Verb: Koro [kɒːrɒ]

Kowani wrote:1: this is correct, yes
i was rushing when i made my original post and crossed together the two names

2: that seems more or less coherent with the concept of tien, yes
perhaps slightly more expansive than our world's understanding, but not in a bad way

💖💖💖

Fekerstani wrote:I never completed any of my conlangs and everyone is hidden in the garbage far away from the light of this world. My worst struggle is that I focus so much on simplicity and therefore make solutions that complicates the language even more. Feel free to read my latest factbook, treating the progress of Fekerstanbuli. This time: numerals! If you've got any questions regarding the language and it's system, feel free to ask here and I'll try my best to answer. Thanks XD :D

My first "conlangs" were so bad, even "relex" would be an overstatement. They were just corruptions of existing languages - the first French, the second Afrikaans. They were meant to be used as a code language... by my friends and I.

My first real conlang was extremely complicated and totally artificial, but it was okay because I just wanted to make a super complicated conlang in the first place. It's nigh impossible to learn, but man the hatred I poured into making it really has turned it into something.

My latest is a step back from super complicated stuff. I have abandoned my agglutinative origins and embraced analytical languages for this one. I don't know though if it's realistic to have such a simplified form of Classical Chinese (makes sense; it comes from Old Chinese) though...

Bunkaiia wrote:Bunkaiian:
Work
Noun: Koru [kɒːru]
Verb: Koro [kɒːrɒ]

I really want to do these, but I cannot reveal my conlang just yet...

Kowani wrote:N’mal
Not bad

Notaría q’Çijhuandi realment n’sobreviví mâya q’as dinastias mântiguas, sendo combiná c’o cencepto má’geral d’cel. Má no sentí clásico xino, “cel” n’é “cel” com nós l’tem. S’refere mâos procesos naturais, o “bom orden” das cosas. É vista naturalista, n’sob’naturaol

I would note that “Shi Huangdi” didn’t really survive past the oldest dynasties, being folded into the more general concept of “heaven”. But I’m traditional Chinese understanding, “heaven” isn’t “heaven” like we understand it. It refers more to natural processes, the “right order” of things. The Classical Chinese worldview is naturalistic, not supernatural .

What happened to this text post, why does it look like this?

Lower Alterac wrote:What happened to this text post, why does it look like this?

Looks fine for me, still weird for you? Probably a glitch because of the update.

Kuerhyedeenistan wrote:Looks fine for me, still weird for you? Probably a glitch because of the update.

Yeah, now it looks fine for some reason...

This is how it looked like: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/705882815723733095/824537707191468082/swhat.PNG

Lower Alterac wrote:Yeah, now it looks fine for some reason...

This is how it looked like: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/705882815723733095/824537707191468082/swhat.PNG

M’deu, q’é ‘o
My god, what is that

Gujarat Parma wrote:Heller feller friends!

Troteïàpa toïom!

Hello everyone, I'm a conlanger attempting my hand at a branch of IE!

«12. . .181182183184185186187188189»

Advertisement