by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Lazarus RMB

WA Delegate: The Groovin' State of Funkadelia (elected )

Board Poll Activity History Admin Rank

Most Nations: 6th Most World Assembly Endorsements: 105th Largest Black Market: 1,343rd
World Factbook Entry

Welcome to the Celestial Union of Lazarus!
Lazarus, rising from the ashes as the Shining Phoenix. Lazarus, a region reborn!


LinkRegional Forum | LinkApply for Citizenship | LinkJoin the Celestial Armada | Embassy Policy | LinkDiscord | Lazarus Endorsement Cap

Song of the Week: LinkAby Ngana Diop - Dieuleul Dieuleul (1991)


Congratulations to the winners of the CULT Festival contests:

Logo, Seal, and CULT-of-Arms Competition - Aumelodia
Spam Points - Lazarus
Celestial Avatar Contest - Lamb
Celestial Union Origin Story Contest - Atlantica



Please endorse the Sovereign, Funkadelia, Defender of the Realm Doperland, and Guardians Harmoneia, Killer Kitty, and Amerion.

Spammers, adspammers, and dissidents will be forced to write tacky regional polls.



Embassies: the Rejected Realms, Osiris, Lone Wolves United, Renegade Islands Alliance, 10000 Islands, the South Pacific, the West Pacific, The East Pacific, The North Pacific, Europe, Balder, The Order of the Grey Wardens, The Western Isles, The FRA, Taijitu, Spiritus, and 26 others.One big Island, United Kingdom, Mordor, The Pollaetorian Guard, Wintreath, Equilism, Equinox, Hell, Gay, LCRUA, Asylum, Australialia, Sirius3108, Portugal, Commonwealth of Liberty, International Northwestern Union, Right to Life, The Allied States, India, the Pacific, Nova Historiae, European Union, Wintercrest, Jethnea, Warzone Australia, and The Union of Democratic States.

Tags: Casual, Game Player, Gargantuan, Offsite Forums, Founderless, Map, Regional Government, Sinker, Democratic, Social, World Assembly, Role Player, and 2 others.Featured, and Defender.

Regional Power: Extremely High

Lazarus contains 5,438 nations, the 6th most in the world.

Today's World Census Report

The Most Income Equality in Lazarus

World Census boffins calculated the difference in incomes between the richest and poorest citizens, where a score of 50 would mean that poor incomes are 50% of rich incomes.

As a region, Lazarus is ranked 8,405th in the world for Most Income Equality.

NationWA CategoryMotto
3,201.The Incorporated States of Weyland IndustriesInoffensive Centrist Democracy“.”
3,202.The Winnipeg of JetsInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Jets”
3,203.The New York of IslandersInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Islanders Dynasty”
3,204.The Republic of MTvInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Does anyone care about music?”
3,205.The Great Pyramids of GizaInoffensive Centrist Democracy“The Great Pyramids have Arisen”
3,206.The Balls of SoccerInoffensive Centrist Democracy“SSssss”
3,207.The Heavenly Host of Angel VirgilInoffensive Centrist Democracy“For Our Father”
3,208.The Republic of Casl3Inoffensive Centrist Democracy“2212340”
3,209.The Republic of Casl6Inoffensive Centrist Democracy“2212340”
3,210.The Republic of Casl7Inoffensive Centrist Democracy“2212340”
«12. . .318319320321322323324. . .543544»

Regional Poll • Finish that Quote! #1 - "Wake up and smell the..."

The Rybeck II of Rybeck II wrote:a poll game where you finish my sentence thingy. this might go on, no idea :P

Voting opened 1 day 23 hours ago and will close . Open to residents. You cannot vote as you are not logged in.

Last poll: “Have you heard about our forums?”

Regional Happenings

More...

Lazarus Regional Message Board

New song for you all. This time from Senegal. Happy weekend!

Daybreak13

The Community of Kefoia wrote:Hello, I'm a new nation. I'd love if anyone could give me tips on how to make good factbooks that share my country's Culture.

Let's help develop your country's culture first, then work on your factbook. I'll start by asking some very basic questions -- do not answer with the first thought that was drilled into your mind early in your education. Think first, then reply.

Q1: When does your day actually start in your country?
Hint: This is usually an observable event. It might be at the first sun ray, or when the sun is first fully seen above the horizon. Perhaps at local noon, when the shadow of a stick is at its shortest and points either true north, or true south, or there is no shadow on a day when the sun is directly overhead. Or maybe you're a night owl, and your "day" starts when the sun first touches the setting horizon, or the last ray of light is extinguished as the sun sets. All of these are far less arbitrary than "midnight." You can also be ambiguous and just specify something like dusk, dawn or midday, as long as it repeatable and easily observable.

Q2: When you turn to face the sun at your local noon in your country, is east on your left, or on your right?
Hint: This relates to which hemisphere your country is in. If a northern country, east will be on your left when you face the sun at noon. If your country is clearly in the southern hemisphere, east will be on your right when you face the noon sun. If your country straddles or lies between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer (or their equivalents), you'll likely choose the answer that is correct most of the year. An equatorial country would likely answer with: "Both." Your answer will impact how you view angles and angular sweep, read clocks, and whether you consider the North Pole or the South Pole to be the primary pole, so choose carefully.

Q3: When you first start counting a group of objects, do you start with zero, or with one?
Hint: Most cultures start with an equivalence for "one." Zero is a much more difficult concept, but it was known to the Babylonians, Indians and the Mayans. In North America, for example, the ground floor is the first floor -- in Europe, the ground floor is the ground floor, and the first floor is directly above it. Whether you started with zero or with one may impact your numbering system and what base you count in.

Q4: What number base do you use when counting integers?
Hint: Number representation can matter here. Think of the Roman numerals versus the modern positional notation now widely used. Perhaps you tallied sticks (I, II, III), then recognized some bundles (V, X, L, C, M). One might note that modern Swiss watches use "IIII" to represent "four" as it gives a patina of a long-lived industry since medieval clock towers used it (they did so because the town burgers were too numerically illiterate to comprehend "IV" as "5 - 1.") Regardless, you don't have to use base 10, or decimal. Alunya uses a senary (base six) system, with a clenched fist representing zero, and each digit on a hand representing a number. Two hands gets us to thirty-five, for example. Or maybe you use a complex number system, or p-adics.

Q5: What is your primary, secondary, and tertiary axis?
Hint: You are typically taught that positive "X" is to the right, "Y" is up the page, and "Z" out of the page towards you. This defines a right-hand coordinate system. You don't have to look at the world that way. You can change the order, or perhaps adopt a left-hand coordinate system (like the Society of Automotive Engineers does), or even use polar or spherical coordinate systems instead.

Q6: For any given commodity, do you have a fixed price and varying measures, or do you have fixed measures and varying prices?
Hint: In Europe, up until King Henry VIII (love those Roman numerals) beheaded Anne Boleyn, securng a divorce the hard way, establishing the Church of England and seizing the lands of many a Catholic abbey, the norm was to have fixed prices and varying measures. The quantity of actual money in circulation was very low, and barter the norm. Measures were established and held by the local lord, and there were plenty of measures (and lords). This all started to change when King Henry wanted maps delineating exactly what he had seized from the Catholic Church. Thus started property as we now understand it, properly surveyed and delineated. We now have a system where measures are fixed and prices vary. Are your bushels all the same? Is a daywerk also an acre?

Q7: What denominations does your currency come in?
Hint: There are coins, paper notes, checks, credit/debit cards, and electronic currencies like BitCoin. You may, or may not, have denominations depending on which are in use. Denominations, especially coins and paper notes, do allow you to feature prominent individuals, places, and events on them. Not all demoninations are in circulation, and some may no longer be minted or printed with the same icons. Keep in mind that a "zero" dollar is very useful when counteracting bribery and corruption, and may well be worth the printing cost.

Q8: What types of postage stamps do you have?
Hint: Prices may be affixed, or not. Stamps may have different uses as well, designating ground vs. air travel, local mail vs. national mail vs. international mail, etc. And they are ideal for displaying other persons, places, and events in your nation.

These questions will give you a start. From these, we can work out a calendar, or one (or more) system(s) of weights and measures. Your functions may be graphed differently, you might use different measures of time, and the numerology associated with your religions and sciences may differ from the international norms. Even "Keep right side up" may mean something entirely else. This bottle says, "Shake well before using" -- now how long do I have to wait?!!

>^,,^<
Alunya

Doperland, The united states of Saints, Amerion, Wyrmaeus, and 1 otherDaybreak13

Sup y'all I would really appreciate it if y'all endorsed my country I will endorse back. Thank y'all

The Kingdom of Alunya wrote:

Let's help develop your country's culture first, then work on your factbook. I'll start by asking some very basic questions -- do not answer with the first thought that was drilled into your mind early in your education. Think first, then reply.
Q1: When does your day actually start in your country?
Hint: This is usually an observable event. It might be at the first sun ray, or when the sun is first fully seen above the horizon. Perhaps at local noon, when the shadow of a stick is at its shortest and points either true north, or true south, or there is no shadow on a day when the sun is directly overhead. Or maybe you're a night owl, and your "day" starts when the sun first touches the setting horizon, or the last ray of light is extinguished as the sun sets. All of these are far less arbitrary than "midnight." You can also be ambiguous and just specify something like dusk, dawn or midday, as long as it repeatable and easily observable.
Q2: When you turn to face the sun at your local noon in your country, is east on your left, or on your right?
Hint: This relates to which hemisphere your country is in. If a northern country, east will be on your left when you face the sun at noon. If your country is clearly in the southern hemisphere, east will be on your right when you face the noon sun. If your country straddles or lies between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer (or their equivalents), you'll likely choose the answer that is correct most of the year. An equatorial country would likely answer with: "Both." Your answer will impact how you view angles and angular sweep, read clocks, and whether you consider the North Pole or the South Pole to be the primary pole, so choose carefully.
Q3: When you first start counting a group of objects, do you start with zero, or with one?
Hint: Most cultures start with an equivalence for "one." Zero is a much more difficult concept, but it was known to the Babylonians, Indians and the Mayans. In North America, for example, the ground floor is the first floor -- in Europe, the ground floor is the ground floor, and the first floor is directly above it. Whether you started with zero or with one may impact your numbering system and what base you count in.
Q4: What number base do you use when counting integers?
Hint: Number representation can matter here. Think of the Roman numerals versus the modern positional notation now widely used. Perhaps you tallied sticks (I, II, III), then recognized some bundles (V, X, L, C, M). One might note that modern Swiss watches use "IIII" to represent "four" as it gives a patina of a long-lived industry since medieval clock towers used it (they did so because the town burgers were too numerically illiterate to comprehend "IV" as "5 - 1.") Regardless, you don't have to use base 10, or decimal. Alunya uses a senary (base six) system, with a clenched fist representing zero, and each digit on a hand representing a number. Two hands gets us to thirty-five, for example. Or maybe you use a complex number system, or p-adics.
Q5: What is your primary, secondary, and tertiary axis?
Hint: You are typically taught that positive "X" is to the right, "Y" is up the page, and "Z" out of the page towards you. This defines a right-hand coordinate system. You don't have to look at the world that way. You can change the order, or perhaps adopt a left-hand coordinate system (like the Society of Automotive Engineers does), or even use polar or spherical coordinate systems instead.
Q6: For any given commodity, do you have a fixed price and varying measures, or do you have fixed measures and varying prices?
Hint: In Europe, up until King Henry VIII (love those Roman numerals) beheaded Anne Boleyn, securng a divorce the hard way, establishing the Church of England and seizing the lands of many a Catholic abbey, the norm was to have fixed prices and varying measures. The quantity of actual money in circulation was very low, and barter the norm. Measures were established and held by the local lord, and there were plenty of measures (and lords). This all started to change when King Henry wanted maps delineating exactly what he had seized from the Catholic Church. Thus started property as we now understand it, properly surveyed and delineated. We now have a system where measures are fixed and prices vary. Are your bushels all the same? Is a daywerk also an acre?
Q7: What denominations does your currency come in?
Hint: There are coins, paper notes, checks, credit/debit cards, and electronic currencies like BitCoin. You may, or may not, have denominations depending on which are in use. Denominations, especially coins and paper notes, do allow you to feature prominent individuals, places, and events on them. Not all demoninations are in circulation, and some may no longer be minted or printed with the same icons. Keep in mind that a "zero" dollar is very useful when counteracting bribery and corruption, and may well be worth the printing cost.
Q8: What types of postage stamps do you have?
Hint: Prices may be affixed, or not. Stamps may have different uses as well, designating ground vs. air travel, local mail vs. national mail vs. international mail, etc. And they are ideal for displaying other persons, places, and events in your nation.
These questions will give you a start. From these, we can work out a calendar, or one (or more) system(s) of weights and measures. Your functions may be graphed differently, you might use different measures of time, and the numerology associated with your religions and sciences may differ from the international norms. Even "Keep right side up" may mean something entirely else. This bottle says, "Shake well before using" -- now how long do I have to wait?!!


>^,,^<
Alunya


Thank you for the help. I will keep some of these in mind.

The Community of Kefoia wrote:Thank you for the help. I will keep some of these in mind.

Well, the Cat would greatly appreciate it if you would answer each question, here, publicly, at some point over the next few days.

This isn't really about you, or me. It is about getting other players to think about their own factbooks and national identities. In the real world, you never get to come up with your own railway gauges, currency, coinage, gods, chemical elements, clocks, calendars, weights and measures. For instance, a day in Alunya starts at noon, and there are 46,656 Toccas in a day. So a Tocca (T) is about 50/27ths seconds. 36 Toccas is a bit over a minute, and 1,296 (=36x36) Toccas is 40 minutes. There are 36 40-minute segments in a day.

And then there's my calendar. But I want you to come up with your own schema, and I'm willing to help you get there, one question at a time. And it would be a useful exercise for everyone to observe. So please, do respond as your time permits. You know where to find me.

The Holy People of The united states of Saints wrote:Post self-deleted by The united states of Saints.

Don't be shy -- the Cat may scratch, but she doesn't bite. Please feel free to join the conversation!!

>^,,^<
Alunya

The Kingdom of Alunya wrote:Well, the Cat would greatly appreciate it if you would answer each question, here, publicly, at some point over the next few days.
This isn't really about you, or me. It is about getting other players to think about their own factbooks and national identities. In the real world, you never get to come up with your own railway gauges, currency, coinage, gods, chemical elements, clocks, calendars, weights and measures. For instance, a day in Alunya starts at noon, and there are 46,656 Toccas in a day. So a Tocca (T) is about 50/27ths seconds. 36 Toccas is a bit over a minute, and 1,296 (=36x36) Toccas is 40 minutes. There are 36 40-minute segments in a day.
And then there's my calendar. But I want you to come up with your own schema, and I'm willing to help you get there, one question at a time. And it would be a useful exercise for everyone to observe. So please, do respond as your time permits. You know where to find me.
Don't be shy -- the Cat may scratch, but she doesn't bite. Please feel free to join the conversation!!
>^,,^<
Alunya

Oh, I was just gonna say the Cat has given her wisdom and that The Community of Kefoia should take it to heart.

Daybreak13

The Community of Kefoia wrote:Hello, I'm a new nation. I'd love if anyone could give me tips on how to make good factbooks that share my country's Culture.


Please read my factbook page for the template. The template is available online.

The Quantum Interference Device of Courlany wrote:Please read my factbook page for the template. The template is available online.

Thank you for your help.

Daybreak13

The Quantum Interference Device of Courlany wrote:Please read my factbook page for the template. The template is available online.

Not bad, not bad at all. Makes me want to flesh mine out more.

Forum View