by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

4

DispatchAccountMilitary

by The Demoratic Hangate of Athara Magarat. . 80 reads.

Guns of the Magarati Colonial Realms

Between 1642 to 1918, the Magarati Colonial Realms, also known as the Black Turtle Empire or the Second Khas-Kirat Empire, was a dominant power in the Isles. It was one of the colonial powers of the Isles and often referred to as a gunpowder empire for its heavy emphasis in firearms and cannons. Below are some of the iconic firearms and other military weapons manufactured by the Magarati Colonial Realms.

Country of Origin: League of Liba Hang (c. 1642)
Operators:

  • League of Liba Hang

  • Magarati Colonial Realms

Contrary to its name, the Liba Style Arquebus was a large musket capable of delivering a heavier round that offered better armor penetration. Considered the first indigenous firearm developed by the Liba Hang Administration (the direct predecessor of the Magarati Colonial Realms), the Liba Style Arquebus was based upon matchlocks and arquebuses brought by Dutch traders in late 16th Century.

While the Magaratis were technically able to produce tempered steel (e.g. sword blades), they preferred to use work-hardened brass springs in their matchlocks. The name 'Liba' came from port city of Liba Hang. The Treaty of Liba Hang in 1642 had led to the formation of the League of Liba Hang which purchased matchlock rifles from the Dutch and put sword smiths to work; copying the matchlock barrel and firing mechanism. Within a few years of introduction, the Liba had changed the way war was fought in Kaski island and nearby areas forever.

TBD


Country of Origin: Magarati Colonial Realms (c. 1650)
Operators:

    Magarati Colonial Realms

The Liba Style Arquebus's firing mechanism's biggest weakness was the need to keep the match lit in order to fire the weapon. And by 1650, the Liba Style Arquebus had become an outdated gun as the newly formed Magarati Colonial Realms's rivals from Western Europe had started manufacturing the more reliable flintlock muskets in large numbers. Just like with the matchlock, flintlock muskets were brought from European traders and local gunsmiths were ordered to replicate the firearms. The first Magarati gunsmith to successfully create the flintlock musket in Kaski island was Rudra Chand Thakuri who named the weapon after his daughter Nisha.

The Nisha Musket swiftly replaced the Liba Style Arquebus as the primary firearm of the Magarati Colonial Realms and their effectiveness was demonstrated in the Magarati Mesder Company's short war against southern Lortik kingdom of Barnimer in modern day Belle Ilse en Terre. The new Nisha Muskets were so effective that the Lortik nobles in other kingdoms decided it was better to sell their territories in peaceful terms.


Country of Origin: Magarati Colonial Realms (c. 1650)
Operators:

    Magarati Colonial Realms

First built by Swiss and Austrian engineers, the leather cannon was a light and cheap weapon that would bridge the gap between the handy musket and the heavy stationary cannon. They had been used extensively during the English Civil Wars especially in Scotland.

In Kaski island, the leather cannons made their first appearance at around 1649 through European traders of unverified nationality. A year later, Dil Bahadur Pahare Poon had created the Magarati version of the leather cannon which was later called the Poon Toph after him. They were hailed for their lightness, and therefore, superior manoeuvrability. The only difference between the Poon Toph and the European leather cannon was that the Magarati counterpart was covered in thick indigenous paper heavily saturated with grease. For several decades after its adoption, hundreds of leather cannon were produced by the Magarati Colonial Realms, denoting their popularity. Similar to its European counterpart, the Poon Toph also fired iron shot weighing about 4 pounds.


Country of Origin: Magarati Colonial Realms (c. 1668)
Operators:

    Magarati Colonial Realms

In 1668, the Governor-Governor of the Magarati Colonial Realms apparently said that they "could one day reclaim Samudera with the new weapon" and thus the name Samudera Gun is said to have stuck forever although the Magaratis never managed to major foothold into Samudera aside from a trading post due to the Arnish High Council of Ainslie.

The Samudera Guns were used principally aboard ships of the Magarati Colonial Realms, serving as short-range anti-personnel ordnance. While they were not ship-sinking weapons due to their small caliber and short range, the Samudera Guns could do considerable damage to anyone caught in their line of fire. They were especially useful against deck-to-deck boarders, against approaching longboats bearing boarding parties, and against deck gun crews when ships were hull-to-hull.

Due to their relatively small size, the Samudera Guns were highly portable and could be moved around the deck of a ship quite easily. They could be mounted on vertical timbers which were either part of the ship's structure or were firmly bolted to that structure along either side, which provided the gunner with a reasonably steady platform from which to fire. The small size of Samudera Guns enabled them to be used by a wide variety of vessels, including those too small to accommodate larger cannons, and also permitted their use on land; they were commonly issued to forts and trading posts set up by the Magarati trading companies in foreign nations and colonies.


Country of Origin: Magarati Colonial Realms (c. 1725)
Operators:

    Magarati Colonial Realms

By 1720, a man named Maximilien had managed to drive out the Magaratis from Belle Ilse en Terre. His disciplined army were all armed with French-made muskets that much better than the Nisha Musket used by the Magaratis. Around five years later, Magarati gunsmiths had yet again developed another new weapon to gain the advantage in conflicts across the Isles and it's name was the Khas-Kirati Musket.

The Khas-Kirati Muskets, whose stock was usually made out of walnut, had a smooth bore barrel. Like all smooth bore muskets, the Khas-Kirati Musket was only accurate to about 110 yd (100 m) against a column of men, or 40 to 50 yd (37 to 46 m) against a single man-sized target. Khas-Kirati Muskets were not used in battle like a modern rifle. Instead, they were fired in mass formations and often accounting for roughly a third of all battlefield casualties in wars related to the Magarati Colonial Realms. The Khas-Kirati Muskets played a dual role on the battlefield, being used as a ranged weapon at a distance, and also being used as a pike type weapon in close hand-to-hand combat. The rate of fire depended on the skill of the soldier, which was typically about three shots per minute. Khas-Kirati Muskets were muzzle loaded and used a flintlock firing mechanism. They typically fired a round ball but could fire other ammunition such as buck and ball or shot.

Large numbers of Khas-Kirati Muskets were imported to various nations and indigenous tribes across the Isles by the Magaratis against their rivals in the Isles and European colonial powers. At other times, it was used for bargaining as in the case with Menna Shuli's vÍkivÍv'at who allowed the Magaratis to establish a trading post in exchange for Magarati-made guns and cannons. By 1750s, Menna Shuli had been flooded with Khas-Kirati Muskets as a result.

The Khas-Kirati Musket were used significantly by the Magaratis even during their participation in the Great Argus Wars despite the gun being outdated by mid 19th Century. Modern replica Khas-Kirati Muskets are produced by several manufacturers. These are used by historical reenactors across the Isles.


Horde Toph Artillery System

[img]Img Not Available?[/img]

Country of Origin: Magarati Colonial Realms (c. 1790)
Operators:

    Magarati Colonial Realms

TBD


Country of Origin: Magarati Colonial Realms (c. 1872)
Operators:

    Magarati Colonial Realms

The Magarati Rifle is without doubt the most iconic gun made by the Magarati Colonial Realms and also the last major gun to be produced by them. A trained soldier could fire ten aimed rounds per minute with the breech-loading Magarati Rifle. The guns featured steel barrels which were so marked, flat nosed hammers, and a latch-locking breech block instead of the simple integral block lifting tang.

The Magarati Rifle used a new type of metal-cased cartridge called a Bahadur cartridge after its designer. The breech block housed a diagonally downward sloping firing pin struck with a front-action lock mounted hammer. To operate the weapon, the rifleman cocked the hammer, flipped the block out of the receiver to the right by grasping the left mounted breech block lever, and then pulled the block back to extract the spent case. The gun is also known for having ejector without which the firing time would have been cut to about 6 rounds.

The Magarati Rifle were introduced after the First Central Argus War against Dormill and Stiura ended. Enthusiasts across the Isles still use these rifles today.

RawReport