First of all.......Welcome to NationStates!
- *In addition to this quick guide, we recommend you also read the full NationStates FAQ: page=faq
The in-game FAQ will provide you with more detail than this quick guide.
*For more details on game rule details, we also recommend every player read the One Stop Rules Shop: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=74486
This vital information can save you from The Wrath of the Game Moderators.
NationStates was created ten years ago by Max Barry to promote his novel, Jennifer Government. Since then, the game has grown into a community of with thousands of individual players from around the world.
When your nation is created, your nation will start out in a Game Created Region (GCR) known as a “Feeder region”, one of five Regions where new nations are born.
The Feeder regions are:
Other types of Game Created regions include the three "Sinker" regions where nations that have ceased to exist (CTE'd) are 'refounded':
The region where all ejected and banned nations go:
And the Warzone regions:
All other regions are User Created Regions (UCR). Any player can create his or her own region.
So now what?
After your nation is created, it's all up to you, the player.
What are some of your options ?
- You can stay in the Feeder region in which your nation is created, or you can move your nation to a different region.
You will recieve a number of telegrams from regions that would like to recruit you. We'd be happy to have you stay here.
(note: Some User Created Regions are password protected)
- You can make decisions on 'Issues' your nation recieves. Making decisions on issues is what alters your nation's economy, civil rights, and politics.
Fair warning: NationStates issues tend to be humorous, and sometimes just plain bizzare.
(These are updated up to twice daily, depending upon your nation's settings)
- You can alter your nation's flag and it's motto, as well as it's currency and national animal.
(More options will become available to your nation over time)
- You can write Factbook entries and Dispatches for your nation.
- You can participate in the discussion on the Regional Message Board (RMB).
- You can telegram other nations.
- You can apply to join the World Assembly.
- About the joining World Assembly: Within 12 hours of applying to join the World Assembly, you will receive a game generated email that will provide you with a link that joins your nation to the World Assembly.
- Once you've joined the World Assembly, you can vote on General Assembly and Security Council Resolutions, as well as give and recieve Endorsements.
- Once you have recieved two endorsements, you can submit your own World Assembly Resolutions.
- We recommend you bring Resolution proposals up for discussion on the in-game forum before submitting it.
(Important note: only one nation per player can join the World Assembly. Trying to violate this game rule can get your nation deleted. Or worse, some Moderators have bad breath.)
Anything Else to do?
Oh yes, it all depends upon what interests you.
- - For example, you can join the The West Pacific off-site forum. We'd love to have you participate with us here.
Many other regions, both GCR's and UCR's maintain their own off-site forums, separate from the NationSates forum.
- Speaking of the NationStates forum, you'll find technical assistance for the game there, Roleplay's, World Assembly Debates and more there.
- Join a Government. Many, if not most regoin, have some form of Regional Government. Most regions would be happy to have more people particiapte in these.
- Join a Roleplay. In addition to the RP hosted on the NationStates forum, many regions have their own RP communities.
How do I go to war?
- - NationStates does not provide a warfare system, however players do engage in 'military' gameplay operations that generally employ the use of World Assembly endorsements to control a region's Delegacy.
This is often known as Raiding and Defending. Speak with a region's military leader for more info, most would be happy to train you.
- Oh wait, you meant Roleplay war? See the NationStates forum, or the offsite forum of a region that hosts Roleplay.
How do I win the game?
- Sorry, there are no 'win conditions' line or 'end game' to NationStates, the game is not played on that basis. Although you can compete with other nations to see where your nation ranks in the lastest NationStates Census. Your answers to issues will alter where your nation stands in the rankings. Some regional player communities also hold their own contests and issue graphic awards for winning them.
Anything else I should know?
Well, probably more that I think to write here. But you might keep in mind:
- - Don’t join the World Assembly with more than one nation. (we don't want your nation to get deleted)
- Do not flame, troll, post racist statements. But really, using common courtesy will keep you safe and respected. Give respect and it will be given to you.
- Your nation will automatically 'Cease to Exist' (CTE) if you haven’t logged in for 28 days. Although you can set your nation to “Vacation Mode” to extend that to 60 days.
- In the event that your nation has CTE'd, you can restore it by simply logging in. You’ll find your nation restored in one of the Game Created 'Sinker' regions :Lazarus, Osiris, or Balder.
Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the game!
If this guide was useful, please upvote it.
Originally Written by All Good People