by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

3

DispatchFactbookOverview

by The Kingdom of Aetheodaland. . 35 reads.

The Military

The Military of Olivedrabia:


Banner of the Here



Royal Air Force Roundel



Royal Navy Ensign




Aetheodaland maintains three branches: the Here (Army), the Royal Navy, and the Royal Air Force. The Here is the largest branch, followed by the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force. The Aetheodish military is entirely volunteer based, with no period of mandatory service, and no laws on the books permitting the conscription of civilians into the military. This is due to a doctrine favoring a tactically and technologically advanced professional military, and a culture that looks down upon conscripts.

In peacetime, the majority of the Here is placed in reserve, leaving a smaller professional force in active duty. Reservists are summoned for regular training and inspection, however, leading to Aetheodaland's reserve forces to generally be superior to the reserve forces of other nations. In addition, active-duty soldiers are given generous amounts of leave to return to their families during peacetime and are paid well. This, combined with an honor obsessed culture, has created a very motivated fighting force.

The Here is popularly known as the first branch of the Armed Services to be formed, existing for as long as the Kingrich. The first iteration was a citizen militia, or Fyrd, composed of free men. However, as the state expanded, and both land and power began to be centralized, the military became more professional, and a permanent army, or Here, was established in 1645. The Here would face its first real test during the Troubles, a long, slow burning conflict which would result in the dissolution of the North Sea Empire, a political union between Aetheodaland and Rhufoniog in 1673. And while the Here proved its capabilities tactically, it was still too small to win wars on the strategic level. Subsequent Kings would expand the Here, and by the time of the Revolutionary and Coalition Wars in the 17th and 18th centuries, the Here would emerge victorious in the end. By the time of the Great War, while other nations would adopt a strategy of defense in depth and attrition, Aetheodaland would focus on the offense, and in the end, the mobile military of Aetheodaland outmaneuvered its more static foes, securing victory.

Aetheodaland's doctrine revolves around superior logistics, organization, and speed. The Here aims to concentrate its forces where the enemy is weakest, create a gap in the enemy lines, and exploit it to create encirclements or to force the enemy to give ground to prevent one. This requires a mobile ground force with support from a strong air force and a navy powerful enough to protect its supplylines. This doctrine has necessitated mass mechanization, and as such, the Aetheodish Here is one of, if not the, most mechanized armies on the planet.

Until the 16th century, Aetheodaland has had little interest in maintaining a navy, keeping only a token fleet of ships. This would change as Aetheodaland began expanding overseas and building trade networks with the far east. This would lead to the Kingrich developing one of the largest and most advanced blue water navies on the planet, pioneering steam power and modern hull construction. Though not the largest navy in the world by number of ships, it's one of the largest by tonnage, and has proven itself more than capable of defending Aetheodish interests.

The Royal Air Force is the newest branch, seeing its combat debut in the Great War.

Equipment:


PLEASE NOTE: FOR THE PURPOSES OF RP IN THE RMB, TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT WAS STUNTED AT THE START, PUT FURTHER DEVELOPMENT CAN BE FASTER OR SLOWER DEPENDING ON EVENTS.


Rifles

SR-1 (7.92×33mm)
The SR-1, or Storm Rifle-1, is the main service rifle in use. Manufactured by Winchester Armory, this rifle can fire 7.92×33mm ammunition fed by a detachable 30 round magazine for a rate of fire of 500-600 rounds per minute. It had an effective range of 330 yards when firing on automatic, and a 660 yard range when firing on semi automatic. It is the first assault rifle to be deployed by any military. It was designed in 1943 based on lessons learned during the Great War.

BR-3 (7.92×57mm)
The Bolt Rifle 3 served as the main service rifle for a decade, replacing the similar Bolt Rifle 2 in 1933. Due to the outbreak of the Great War shortly after its development, production was accelerated, leading to the first batches of BR-3s having notorious reliability issues. These issues would be fixed, and by the end of the war, the rifle would be one of the most widely produced weapons in the world. Although it has seen its use decline with the introduction of the SR-1, the BR-3 is still in use for ceremonial and designated marksman duties, and surplus rifles have been distributed to police departments and sold to civilians.

Submachine Guns

MP-3 (9×19mm)
The MP-3, developed in 1940, was an evolution of the MP-2, making minor adjustments and adding some modern features. Lightweight and compact, it became popular among soldiers, becoming so popular that a civilian version is in circulation. With a capacity of 32 rounds, it can fire at a rate of 500-550 rounds per minute to an effective range of 110-220 yards. Its use has declined since the introduction of the SR-1, but it remains in use with vehicle and artillery crews, pilots, and the Navy. Special Forces also deploy a version with a 64 round dual magazine.

Squad Automatic Weapons

MG-3 (7.92×57mm)
The Machine Gun 3 is a light machine gun developed in 1930 from a previous design, modifying it into an air-cooled rather than water-cooled weapon. An unusual feature of the gun is its double-crescent trigger, which provided select-fire capability without the need for a fire mode selector switch. Mostly phased out, it has a 75 round saddle drum, and fires at a rate of 600 rounds per minute, to a maximum range of 2,200 yards.

MG-4 (7.92×57mm)
Introduced in 1936 to replace the MG-3, which itself was a stopgap design, the MG-4 proved expensive and slow to produce, and was quickly replaced by the MG-5 by the conclusion of the Great War. Firing at a rate of 800-900 rounds per minute, at an effective range of 220-2,200 yards, the machine gun had the option of using 50/250 round belt or a 50 round drum.

MG-5 (7.92×57mm)
Introduced in 1942, the MG-5 was an improvement of the MG-4, proving more affordable and reliable than the MG-4, while still providing a higher rate of fire. With a rate of fire of 1,200 rounds per minute, it is one of the fastest firing weapons in the world. It has the same effective range as the MG-4 and has the same round capacity.

Heavy Machine Guns

MG-I (7.92×57mm)
Developed in 1908, this weapon is the first domestically produced automatic weapon in Aetheodaland. Liquid cooled, and with a 250 round belt, it fires Aetheodaland's standard rifle caliber ammunition at 450-500 rounds per minute, at an effective range of 2,200 yards. It has in recent years begun to be relegated to second-line units, as it has become too heavy for modern mobile warfare doctrine.

Sniper Rifles

BR-3 (7.92×57mm)
A scoped version of the BR-3 is used by Aetheodaland's snipers.

Shotguns

There is no shotgun in use by the Aetheodish military

Grenade Launchers

Shooting Cup (BR-3 Attachment)
Fitted to the end of a BR-3 rifle, and fired by a special cartridge, this was introduced in 1942 and can be used against infantry, fortifications, and light vehicles up to a range of 310 yards.

Man-Portable Rocket Launchers

Tank Fright (88mm)
Developed in 1943, it is a reusable lightweight infantry anti tank weapon that fires a fin stabilized rocket with a shaped-charge warhead.

Tank Fist
A single use, man portable anti tank weapon, it was introduced alongside Tank Fist to provide a less expensive alternative.

ATGMs

PLACEHOLDER (PLACEHOLDER)
DESCRIPTION:

MANPADS

Plane Fist (20mm)
Developed in 1945, this weapon is Aetheodaland's first attempt at a man portable air defense weapon. Although the idea shows promise, performance has been less than ideal, and as such it is used only as a last resort against low flying attack aircraft.

Sidearms

P-3 (9×19mm)
The P3 is the main pistol given to all personnel of the military. It is a semi automatic pistol with an 8 round magazine. Adopted in 1939 to replace the expensive but prestigious P2, it has largely replaced it in military and police service.

P-2 (9×19mm) [Limited Use]
A toggle locked recoil operated semi automatic pistol, this iconic weapon has been in service from 1904, though it is now mostly used by older officers and NCOs. It has become a luxury firearm in the civilian market.

Bayonet
Every infantryman has been issued a bayonet since the days of line warfare. Bayonet drills ensure that the average infantryman remains competent in combat with it, either affixed at the end of their rifle or gripped in the hand.

Saber
Every officer is issued a ceremonial saber as a status symbol, which they may keep once their service ends.

Grenades

Stick Hand Grenade Model 5 (Fragmentation Grenade)
The 5th generation of a design going back to 1915, the Stick Hand Grenade is a reliable and iconic weapon.

Smoke Grenade Model 2 (Smoke Grenade)
Much improved over the SGM1, it was developed after encountering similar grenades in use by Entente forces in the Great War.

Tank Breaker (Anti Tank Grenade)
An innovative magnetic shaped charge grenade, its use has declined following the development of Tank Fist and Tank Fright.

Towed Artillery

PLACEHOLDER (PLACEHOLDER)
DESCRIPTION:

Armored Fighting Vehicles

Hunter Lion M5
A self propelled anti tank gun that entered service in 1944, it is based on the Panther chassis and shares many characteristics with it, except for the fact that the gun is housed in a casemate configuration, as is typical for Aetheodish Tank Destroyers.

Tank M5 "Lion"
An innovative design introduced in 1943, the Lion is a medium tank intended to replace older Great War era designs. Over time it has largely almost all other tank chassis in use by the Aetheodish military, and serves as a testbed for new technologies such as night vision optics.
M5c- Keeping the increased armor and improved armament introduced by the M5b, the M5c introduced in 1947 is the current iteration of the M5, namely seeking to improve reliability.

Tank M6 "Cougar"
Introduced alongside the M5, the Cougar was designed to fulfill a breakthrough role, its heavier armor and armament came with infamous reliability issues, and it's slowly being phased out of service entirely.

Tank M7 "Liger"
Developed in 1944 as a potential replacement for the Cougar, the Liger is the heaviest tank ever developed by any military, and only saw a few models produced before the Here cancelled the contract, citing prohibitive cost and poor reliability.

Logistical Vehicles

Lightning
The Lightning, produced by Broad Motors, is a midweight and reliable logistical truck in widespread use throughout the military, carrying personnel, supplies, towing artillery, and more.

Ricsbury Road A-2 4-4-2
Initially designed as an Express train for Civilian Passenger use, it has been adopted as the primary railbound transport for military personnel and mail.

Ferrum, Septarx, and Flavia No. 769
Designed for civilian freight transport, the FSF 769 has been adopted as the primary railbound transport for military freight.

Mark 1 Artillery Tractor
Designed in 1898, it is both the first internal combustion engine vehicle to see widescale adoption by any military, as well as the first tracked vehicle adopted. Its purpose is to tow heavy artillery, doing what once took many horses to do. Its adoption allows Olivedrabia to do, for now, what other nations cannot: use Siege artillery tactically.

Mechs

N/A

PLACEHOLDER

N/A

Fighters

N/A

Bombers

PLACEHOLDER (PLACEHOLDER)
DESCRIPTION:

Attack Helicopters

PLACEHOLDER (PLACEHOLDER)
DESCRIPTION:

Cargo Craft

N/A

Airships

N/A

Patrol Boats

Dryad Class Torpedo Gunboat
With a length overall of 262 ft 6 in, a beam of 30 ft 6 in and a displacement of 1,070 tons, these torpedo gunboats are rather large for their role, closer in size to, and even surpassing the size of some early destroyers that would come after. Designed for offshore patrol duties, they are one of the few ships in this category capable of blue water operations. There are currently 5 in service.

Armament:
2 × 4.7 in Guns
4 × 6 Pounder Guns
1 × 10 Barrel Organ Gun
5 × 18 in Torpedo Tubes

Formica Class Gunboat
The Formica Class gunboat is a class of twenty-four Imperial Navy flat-iron gunboats mounting a single 10-inch gun, built between 1870 and 1880. They carry no masts or sails, being among the first Imperial Navy vessels not to do so.

Designed for coastal defense and bombardment, their application in blue water operations is severely limited. They are a common sight in Olivedrabia's inland waterways.

Armament:
1 × 10 inch gun

Sentis Class Gunboat
The 11 Stentis-class gunboats were designed to protect the far-flung outposts of Olivedrabia's colonial empire. At 180 feet long and 33 feet in beam, with a draft of just 8 feet and a displacement of only 710 tons, they were the smallest seagoing vessels built for the Imperial Navy in the 1890s. They were also among the cheapest, built at a cost of just over 50,000 Pecuniae each, less than 5% of the cost of a contemporary battleship.

The small dimensions and shallow draught of the Sentis class were designed to facilitate navigation on the complex coastlines and great rivers of the Far East. The drawback this imposed was a limited fuel supply. The type entered service with a standard bunkerage of just 50 tons of coal. For Rubus, considered one of the better-performing ships of the class, this would only provide two and a half days' movement at her sustained cruising speed of 11.5 knots, and full-speed runs used nearly twice the quantity of coal over any given length of time. In practice, storage was found for 145 tons of coal, but this was still sufficient for only one week of cruising.

The Bramble class were therefore designed with a sailing rig to supplement their engines, one of the last warships in the Imperial Navy to do so.

Armaments:
2 × 4 in guns
4 × 12 pdr guns
4 × Pattern I Machine Guns

Minelayers

WIP

Submarines

PLACEHOLDER (PLACEHOLDER)
DESCRIPTION:

Corvettes

WIP

Armaments:
WIP

Destroyers

WIP

Armaments:
WIP

Frigates

WIP

Armament:
WIP

Cruisers

Gladiator Class Protected Cruiser
The Gladiator Class is a class of 4 Cruisers. While most contemporary Imperial Navy cruisers were intended for trade protection, the Gladiator class was designed to operate with the main battle fleet, finishing off crippled enemy ships by ramming. They were originally described as "Fleet Rams".

To suit the class for its proposed role, the ram bow was larger and stronger than normal. It was supported by the ship's protective deck and by 2 inches of side armor plating covering the forward part of the ship. While the protective deck had a standard thickness of 1.5–3 inches, the ship's conning tower had much thicker protection than normal, with 9 inches of armour to resist close-range enemy shells. The design had a shorter hull with greater beam and an auxiliary rudder ahead of the main rudder to improve manoeuvrability, granting it a turning circle of 380 yards, twice as small as most cruisers of similar size, having a 342 ft length, 57.5 ft beam, and a 20ft draught. The class displaces 5,840 tons of water, and moves at a speed of 19 knots.

Armament:
4 × 6 in guns
6 × 4.7 in guns
8 × 12 pdr guns
3 × 3 pdr guns
3 × 18 in torpedo tubes

Pelorus Class Protected Cruiser
The Pelorus class ships displaced 2,135 tons and had a top speed of 20 knots. Most served in minor roles on overseas or colonial patrol work, not with the main battlefleets. They carried a complement of 224 and were armed with eight 4-inch guns, eight 3 pounder guns, three machine guns, and two 18-inch torpedo tubes.

They had reciprocating triple expansion steam engines and were equipped with different types of boiler which were trialled in these cruisers. Some had Normand water-tube boilers which could give 7,000 horsepower (5,200 kW) for limited periods of time with forced draught and 5,000 horsepower (3,700 kW) under natural draught.

Armament:
8 × 4 in guns
8 × 3 pdr quick firing guns
3 × Pattern I Machineguns
2 × 18 in Torpedo Tubes

Eclipse Class Protected Cruiser
The Eclipse-class cruisers were designed to displace 5,740 tons. The ships had an overall length of 372 feet, a beam of 54 feet, and a draught of 21 feet 6 inches. Their crews consisted of 470.

The ships were powered by two 4-cylinder triple-expansion steam engines, each driving one shaft, using steam provided by 18 Belleville boilers. The engines were designed to produce a total of 10,000 indicated horsepower which was intended to give a maximum speed of 20 knots. The ships easily exceeded their designed power and speeds during their sea trials. They carried a maximum of 1,143 tons of coal.

The main armament of the Eclipse class consisted of 11 quick-firing 6-inch Mk I guns. One gun was mounted on the forecastle and two others were positioned on the quarterdeck. The remaining eight guns were placed port and starboard amidships. They had a maximum range of approximately 10,000 yards with their 100-pound shells. Eight 12-pounder 12 cwt guns were fitted for defence against torpedo boats. One additional 12-pounder 8 cwt gun could be dismounted for service ashore. They also carried six 3-pounder guns and two submerged 18-inch torpedo tubes.

The ships' protective deck armor ranged in thickness from 1.5 to 3 inches. The engine hatches were protected by 5-inch of armor. The main guns were fitted with 3-inch gun shields and the conning tower had armor 6 inches thick.

Armament:
11 × 6 in guns
9 × 12 pdr guns
6 × 3 pdr guns
2 × 18 in torpedo tubes

Aemulator Class Protected Cruiser
The Aemulator-class cruisers were essentially repeats of the previous Eclipse class, albeit with more powerful propulsion machinery. They were designed to displace 5,970 tons. The ships had a length between perpendiculars of 355 feet, a beam of 56 feet and a draught of 21 feet 3 inches. Their crews consisted of 490.

The ships were powered by two 4-cylinder triple-expansion steam engines, each driving one shaft, using steam provided by 18 Babcock & Wilcox (Aemulator) or Dürr (Occursus) water-tube boilers. These boilers were heavier and bulkier, but more powerful than the Belleville boilers used in the Eclipse class. Sir Nothhelm of Aberwych, Director of Naval Construction, was uncertain if the extra power would offset the weight sufficiently to reach 21 knots and rated the ships at 20.75 knots. The boilers were designed to produce enough steam to allow the engines to reach 12,500 indicated horsepower. The ships easily exceeded their designed power and speeds during their sea trials. They carried a maximum of 1,170 tons of coal.

The main armament of the Challenger class consisted of 11 quick-firing 6-inch guns. One gun was mounted on the forecastle and two others were positioned on the quarterdeck. The remaining eight guns were placed port and starboard amidships. They had a maximum range of approximately 10,000 yards with their 100-pound shells. Eight 12-pounder 12 cwt guns were fitted for defence against torpedo boats. One additional 12-pounder 8 cwt gun could be dismounted for service ashore. They also carried six 3-pounder guns and two submerged 18-inch torpedo tubes.

The ships' protective deck armor ranged in thickness from 1.5 to 3 inches. The engine hatches were protected by 5-inches of armor. The main guns were fitted with 3-inch gun shields and the conning tower had armor 6 inches thick.

Armaments:
11 × 6 in guns
9 × 12 pdr guns
6 × 3 pdr guns
2 × 18 in torpedo tubes

Battleships

Colossus Class Battleship

The Colossus-class battleships are ironclad warships, carrying their main armament in turrets, which have served in the Imperial Navy from 1882 onwards. They were the first Olivedrabian warships to carry large rifled breech-loading main guns, a significant departure from previous warships.

They are in all essential points improved versions of the Leocor class, with slightly greater displacement, protection and speed, with better handling characteristics, and most significantly, with breech-loading artillery replacing the obsolescent muzzle loaders. They also use steel rather than iron for most of the hull structure, and utilise innovative (for the time) compound armor for the belt and turrets.

The class was originally designed to carry the then-standard muzzle-loading artillery, while Coldonian navies had already for several years been equipped with breech-loading guns. In 1879, while the Colossus class was under construction, a 100-ton muzzle-loader was being tested at the Imperial Arsenal, Dertona, and the 16-inch 80-ton guns destined for INS Durus were nearly complete. Responding to a groundswell of professional opinion, the Admiralty sent a group of senior officers to witness and report on the performance of the new breech-loading weapons being produced by Risico in Montbel. As a result of their report, Dertona undertook the manufacture of 12 inch caliber breech-loaders, with a breech mechanism manufactured at Chiswick. The Colossus class was nominated to be armed with these guns; the delay in their manufacture largely accounts for the protracted building times of these vessels.

Both ships did well on sea-trials, exceeding their design speed. They threw up what is described as a "remarkable bow wave, which rose like a solid wall for thirteen feet, the like of which has never been observed." They had a quick roll, and because of the low freeboard and the long chases of the guns, the gun muzzles dipped into the sea at a roll of 13° when trained on the beam. They were fitted with large bilge keels and with anti-rolling tanks.

They were both reported to be slow to respond to the helm, with large turning circles.

Armament:
4 × 12 in guns
5 × 6 in guns
20 smaller guns of various calibers
2 × 14 in torpedo tubes

Carriers

N/A
DESCRIPTION:

Corvettes

N/A (yet :troll:)

Global Firepower Index

Combined Legion Strength

Force Estimate

Army:

1,250,000

Imperial Guard:

#

Marines:

50,000

Tanks:

0

IFVs/ AFVs:

0

Towed Artillery:

#

Self-Propelled Artillery:

0

MRLSs:

0

Air Power

Force Estimate

Fighter Craft:

0

Attack Craft:

0

Transport Craft:

0

Total Helicopter Strength:

0

Attack Helicopters:

0

Airships:

0

Naval Strength

Force Estimate

Patrol Boats:

#

Corvettes:

#

Destroyers:

#

Frigates:

#

Cruisers:

#

Battleships:

#

Mine Warfare Vessels:

#

Aircraft Carriers:

#

Submarines:

#

Space Strength

Force Estimate

N/A

0

Images:
It is advised to view these on mobile devices...


An Infantryman, armed with a scoped SR-1 takes position in a foxhole during a training excercise.

A soldier provides suppressive fire to cover his squad's advance during the 100 Days Offensive against Styldavia, 1940

A team armed with an MG-5


A BM Lightning with a truckload of soldiers, 1940


Caption


INS Dryad

INS Gladiator


Caption

PLEASE NOTE THAT MOST LINKS ARE DECORATIVE

Fake Citation Template: [X]
Fake Link Template: X



Template made by Nova-Columbia

RawReport