Updated: March 2021
The British Western Isles Company (BWIC) was a British and later Serpens Land chartered company. It was established in 1854 to facilitate British trade in the Western Isles. The company controlled large parts of Westmoor isles, and colonised the Territory of Diachen. It also maintained trading posts in Serpens Land.
The British Western Isles Company was granted a Royal Charter by the British government in 1854 based on that of the British East India Company. Itís founder was John S. Stewarts, a British businessman and imperialist whose ambition was to create a British trading empire within the Western Isles. The BWIC first established mining operations in Serpens Land and the Westmoor Isles with the hopes that the capital gained would enable the company to expand its operations farther afield. In 1858, the BWIC purchased the Territory of Diachen from the government of Keverai. Originally established as a trading post, Diachen would see rapid growth under company rule. In 1870, after a period of unrest in the short lived Republic of the Westmoor Isles, the company seized power in the territory. The company would change the location of their headquarters from London to Fort Charlotte in 1890.
As part of their mandate in Diachen and the Westmoor Isles, the BWIC established a paramilitary wing to police and defend their territories. Their territorial acquisitions however, would be seized by the government of Serpens Land when the company was nationalised in 1923. The company would continue to operate as Serpens Land crown corporation until it was formally dissolved by the Serpens Land government in 1936.
The company's primary business was trade. It operated a fleet of over 40 merchant vessels at it's peak, and traded all around the Western Isles. It also operated a substantial number of mines in Serpens Land and the Westmoor Isles. The majority of the railways in Serpens Land were also constructed by the BWIC, which it owned until it was nationalised in 1923.
1854: The British Western Isles Company is founded.
1856: Mining operations begin in Serpens Land and the Westmoor Isles.
1858: The BWIC purchases the Territory of Diachen from Keverai
1860: The Trans-Serpens Land Railway is completed.
1870: The BWIC seizes power in the Westmoor Isles after a period of unrest.
1923: The government of Serpens Land nationalise the British Western Isles Company. The BWIC's territorial assets seized by the Serpens Land government.
1936: Serpens Land dissolves the BWIC.
Services and Information
© Crown copyright
Terms and Conditions
GOV.SP is built and maintained by HORIZON INC and the Government Digital Service
on behalf of the Department of Information