An amendment to the Constitution of the Revolutionary Republic of the Communist Bloc in order to streamline the by-election process and clarify situations of legislative vacancy.
Now, therefore, BE IT ENACTED by the order of the glorious Constitution of the Revolutionary Republic, by and with the advice and consent of the Citizens of The Communist Bloc, in this present Legislative Committee assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows -
Article I - Definitions
(1) "Snap election" shall refer to a non-scheduled election conducted in accordance with Article VIII, section (3) of the Constitution and existing legislative statutes..
(2) “By-election” shall refer to a snap election conducted due to a vacancy in an elected office in accordance with Article VIII, section (3) of the Constitution and existing legislative statutes.
Article II - Category
(3) This Act shall be classified as a Type VII ONE SHOT law.
Article III - Provisions
(4) Article IV Section 5 of the Constitution of the Revolutionary Republic of the Communist Bloc shall have the following text amended:
(5) Should the Legislative Committee fail to fill all its seats:
Each bill that goes to vote within the Committee shall have Citizens appointed to debate and vote upon that bill as any normal member.
For each seat not filled at the previous election, the Speaker will select one citizen. Citizens who ran for the Legislative Committee during the last election shall be chosen first. If no candidates remain, volunteers may be called for. Members otherwise barred by (4b) may volunteer.
Citizens may only be called once per term.
After 30 days of the term, a by-election will be called to attempt to fill the vacant seats.
The by-election date cannot clash with any other elections, and must take place after any scheduled elections.
5. Should a member of the Legislative Committee resign or be removed from office due to recall or inactivity during their term, a by-election shall be called immediately in accordance with this document and existing legislative statutes.
(5) Article VIII, clause 3 of the Constitution of the Revolutionary Republic of the Communist Bloc shall have the text amended to the following:
c. By-elections due to the creation of an office, resignation of an officeholder, recall of an officeholder, or mandatory resignation of an officeholder as proscribed in this document and existing legislative statues shall be exempted from the process described in sub-clause (a).
By-elections conducted in accordance with Article VIII, clause (3) of this document shall have a 4-day standing period and a 2-day voting period. Should a by-election be scheduled at the same time as a regular scheduled election outlined in Article VIII, clause (2) of the Constitution, then the by-election shall be conducted at the same time as said scheduled election and shall follow the same schedule as said scheduled election.
By-elections described in Article VIII, clause (3) of this document may not be held if a scheduled election of the relevant position is in 10 days.
Article IV - Schedule
(6) This amendment shall be considered legally binding following ⅔ assent from the Legislative Committee, as well as majority assent from the People’s Assembly.
Written by Kirk Socramander and Trabardia.
Re-proposed with sections removed by Martyn Kiryu.