The flag of Wagondia is a rectangular bicolor with a field divided into off-black on the hoist, and white on the fly. The imperial coat of arms is centered over the color boundary at equal distance from the upper and lower edges. Much symbolism is demonstrated within the coat of arms, beginning with the historic Diamantine Crown (used by Wagondia's monarchs since 1850). Below the crown is a green and gold escutcheon featuring both a Portuguese cross and armillary sphere; each is a historic symbol of discovery and seamanship. A ring of twenty stars represents the twenty years between Francisco de Miranda's 1806 Leander Expedition (considered the first battle cry of the Latin American Wars of Independence) and the final defeat of Spanish forces at Chiloé in 1826. A wreath of coffee and tobacco, representing two of Wagondia's most important crops, is tied together by the badge of the Order of the Southern Cross, which has for over a century been Wagondia's highest civilian honor.
The present flag was adopted in 1888, after the Treaty of Petrópolis formally unified Wagondia with what was then the Empire of Brazil. The joining of the two most powerful states in Latin America was cause for much patriotic excitement, and a re-assessment of Wagondia's imperial footing in general. The colors of black and white were significant for their association with the Siege of Milot, during which a combined force of Haitian and Wagain soldiers held off repeated Spanish assaults during the Bourbon-Wagain War (1861-1867). The battle colors hoisted within the allied encampment, said to represent the solidarity of black and white forces against European colonialism, became a widely-replicated symbol of the young nation, and the Pan-American movement in general. The imperial standard is romantically referred to as the Manauara, in homage to the point where the dark Rio Negro meets the pale Amazon outside of Manaus.
Wagondia's diplomatic flag is flown over each of our 289 overseas diplomatic missions, as well as foreign ministry buildings on Wagain soil (see Diplomatic Service for more information). The flag itself consists of the lesser imperial coat of arms laid over a white background, with olive branches replacing the usual coffee and tobacco boughs. The gold border indicates that this flag is of ambassadorial rank (i.e. flown over embassies); flags representing consular missions do not have a border. As the number of Wagain diplomatic missions has increased dramatically in the past half-century, the flag has become a symbol of Wagain soft power, and commonly represents our culture, commerce, and influence at formal events overseas.
The naval ensign denotes the nationality of Wagain vessels when operating in port or at sea. It is typically hoisted at the stern of ships in the merchant marine, or any one of the Wagain Navy's warships or auxiliary vessels. It should not be confused with the naval jack, which is flown on a jackstaff at the bow of a ship. The flag is itself a variation on the British 'white ensign', consisting of an off-black symmetric cross defaced with a lesser version of the imperial coat of arms. The ensign is heavily associated with the Wagain Navy, and has become a key element of imperial iconography. As a maritime empire, Wagondia's navy has long had a cultural and political relevance beyond its base military function, and it is not uncommon to see the ensign flying above shore installations, seafarer's missions, lighthouses, naval hospitals, civilian yacht clubs, or residences of the imperial family.