by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics




by The Treangolist Triultarchy of La Paz de Los Ricos. . 10 reads.

History of La Paz de Los Ricos, Volume II

△ La Paz de Los Ricos △


Volume I

1:1 Geologic History
1:2 Pre-Columbian History
- 1:2.1 Polynesian Colonization
1:3 European Colonization
1:4 The Breakaway War
1:5 Independence & 18th Century
- 1.5.1 Berto, el Hierro de Castillos
- 1.5.2 Joaquim de Castillos' Death
1:6 Mario Matrus & Sect of the Law
- 1:6.1 Ten Parties of Exploration

2:1 First Reunification War
2:2 Second Reunification War

Volume III

3.1 Reunification War's Aftermath
3.2 Pax Septima
- 3.2.1 The Subinsul Plan
- 3.2.2 Creation of Novodoman
- 3.2.3 Rise in Patriotism
3.3 Pax Septima's Decline
- 3.3.1 Dama͑n, el Castillo Dorado
- 3.3.2 Berto, el Hierro de Castillos' Death
- 3.3.3 The Fall from Grace
3.4 The Second Breakaway War

4.1 20th Century
- 4.1.1 The Breakaway Scandal
4.2 Disbanding Once Islas
- 4.2.1 Southern Outer Isles Independence
- 4.2.2 Siete Islas' Reformation
- 4.2.3 Neo-Insurrectionism
4.3 Widespread Revolution
4.4 The Third Reunification War
4.5 Rebuilding Siete Islas
4.6 Republican Ideals
4.7 The Second World War

5.1 Second World War's Aftermath
- 5.1.1 The Reintegration
5.2 Pax Ricana
- 5.2.1 Northern Outer Isles Purchase
5.3 Quince Isles
5.4 Ricano Composition
- 5.4.1 Ricano Reforms
- 5.4.2 Fluidity Accords
- 5.4.3 National Alias and Flag
- 5.4.4 The Crescendo
5.5 La Paz de Los Ricos
- 5.5.1 Ricano Renaissance
- 5.5.2 Transition of Cultures
5.6 21st Century
- 5.6.1 Antre Kino͑no
- 5.6.2 Ruma̹s Kansena͑s
- 5.6.3 Triangular Governship
5.7 Girante Palica͑ Terror Attack
- 5.7.1 Attack's Aftermath
5.8 Creation of Treangolism
5.9 Treangolist Triultarchy

First Reunification War

The nation would remain under Mario Matrus' leadership for a long time. Matrus would eventually abandon the pretense of hiding his illegitimate and despotic rise to power, but citing that the nation would be better off with him as head of state (monarch, specifically).

The nation's populace would be deeply divided on this topic. More than half of the public wanted el Hierro de Castillos to be instated as rightful Commander. After all, they argued, wasn't his father the original founder of the nation, and the one who decided on an inherited Commandancy? Wouldn't his son be a better ruler for the country than Matrus and Sect of the Law? The remainder of the population would be divided further, with the two largest beliefs being the want of a return to the Commandancy with el Hierro de Castillos, and a monarchy with Matrus as leader and Sect of the Law as a parliament.

Matrus would install Sect of the Law as a ruling government system, similar to that of a parliament, with the ideas that every three years, elections would be held for one half of the body, meaning one who served in the sect would serve for six years total. The sect would also be expanded, now having about twenty members, when it originally had ten. Matrus falsely believed the public would all entirely be persuaded to join his side if he continued making such changes.

In 1817, Matrus began a heavy crackdown on opposition to his regime and Sect of the Law, which meant tightening on speech laws. In the Third Charter, there was no section devoted to human freedoms like the Bill of Rights in the United States Constitution. As a result, Matrus could legally pull back human rights in Siete Islas without infringing on the Third Charter. Matrus took this opportunity to restrict the freedoms of speech and demonstration in order to more easily mold the nation to his views.

An early example of this crackdown occurred in 1820 during a small demonstration in Puerto Mellor outside the Grand Palace (Spanish: Gran Palacia, Ne͗va Ledo͑ma: Girante Palica͑). The demonstrators were shot at by a Sect-backed militia in order to silence the protests. Many of the demonstrators, most unarmed, stormed the militia in retaliation, resulting in over 200 deaths in the violence. Many citizens against Matrus pointed out the obvious connections and parallels between this attack and the No͗ze deve̹o Girana Fi͗ro attack, and began calling for Matrus' removal from power. This resulted in tighter control of Siete Islans' freedoms, and more attacks on peaceful protests occurred.

Matrus held rallies and speeches, heavily guarded by police and the militia, to gain support for his government. He tried to coerce the people, as well as foreign governments, to support him by claiming that he had not broken any of the Third Charter's laws, and that he was still faithful to the idea of "Breakaway Spirit". Many of his detractors were quick to point out his hypocrisy against de Castillos and support of Breakaway, but Matrus, deflected these claims by citing that Joaquim de Castillos was a national hero until his mental illness, and that Berto de Castillos would follow his father's footsteps. Slowly, he would gain more followers, and many were persuaded that Matrus was the strict leader that Siete Islas needed. Again, many detractors pointed the hypocrisy of the independence fight from strict Spanish rule.

In 1823, Matrus "dropped the charade" as it were, and revealed his true intentions to Siete Islas. Matrus disbanded Sect of the Law and had all of its members executed, and instated a fierce autocratic state with himself at it's center. Matrus, in an attempt to persuade the Breakaway Militia to serve him, unintentionally fractured the Militia, as many in the force didn't support him. The Militia fell into disarray and chaos as Matrus ordered certain supportive regiments of the Militia to execute defecting regiments. The Militia's internal conflict led to the First Reunification War, as the Militia and civilians fought to see which ruling government would prevail.

The First Reunification War

Dates: May 4, 1824 - January 20, 1829
(Defeat of Matrus and the United Force)
- January 2, 1829

(Reinstitution of the Breakaway Commandancy)
- January 20, 1829

Location: Magos Archipelago, New Caribbean Sea

Result: Commandancy victory:
- Breakaway Commandancy restored to power
- Autocratic government destroyed
Territorial Changes: Commandancy government installed,
Isulas Girante, Manele͑, Ranga rejoin Commandancy. Remaining
four islands gain de facto independence.


- el Hierro de Castillos & Commandancy Rebels
- Commandancy Sympathizers

- Matrusist & Autocratic Government
- Sect of the Law (dissolved)
- Autocratic Sympathizers

Commanders and Leaders

- Berto, el Hierro de Castillos
- Marzo Trifo
- Am-a͗ Sudei

- Mario Matrus
- Hernando Ve̜iro


~8,000 Rebels

~13,000 Soldiers

Casualties and Losses

~2,000 - ~2,500 deaths
~500 - ~1,000 Rebels
~500 - ~1,000 sympathizers

~6,000 - ~7,000 deaths


As the Breakaway Militia splintered into different factions, Siete Islas fell into anarchy. Matrus could not control many of the outer islands of Siete Islas due to the internal conflict, so these islands began forming their own governments. After the regional governmental reformations in the 1770s, it was easier for the islands to secede from the central government due to them already having small but functional legislative authorities. The Militia that remained loyal to Matrus could not effectively reunite the islands in their current state, due to the splintering.

Islands around Isula Girante such as Isula Manele͑ to the north, and Ranga to the south, with the help of some of the defecting Breakaway Militia factions, formed defensive perimeters on their coasts that faced Isula Girante, setting up cannon walls and forts designed to deter or destroy Matrus-allied forces. Matrus took this as a sign of betrayal and revolt, and he ordered mass executions of citizens in Isula Girante as punishment for the revolution.

In early February, 1824, Berto de Castillos, having been in hiding since Matrus took power, escaped from Puerto Mellor to Isula Manele͑. de Castillos, now 31-years-old, was horrified at Matrus' seemingly total takeover of Isula Girante. After de Castillos' arrival in Isula Manele͑, he fully saw the situation as it occurred. In Isula Manele͑, the splintered Breakaway Militia group had volunteered to be Isula Manele͑'s defensive force. de Castillos decided to use this to his advantages. Almost immediately after familiarizing the splinter militia, he organized all of its members and in a rousing military speech, offered to become their general. The militia decided to accept his offer mainly out of a sense of camaraderie and duty, as Berto de Castillos, unlike his father, was a poor military strategist, and had little experience besides some years of informal training from his father.

Throughout March and April, the militia drilled for a strike on Matrus' forces in Isula Girante. During this time, Berto de Castillos quickly gained lots of experience in leadership, at the expense of his health. Berto de Castillos didn't eat frequently and stayed awake for several days at a time in order to have more time to train with his militia, and his health slowly deteriorated over the two months. Berto de Castillos became a popular leader due to his resolve and optimism, and he became a much more experienced leader in a short time. In Berto de Castillos' honor, the splinter militia renamed itself to the "Iron Militia" (Spanish: "Milicia de Hierro", Ne͗va Ledo͑ma: "Milisa Ve͑rrato").

On May 2, 1824, the Iron Militia and de Castillos heard a rumor that Matrus was collecting what remained of his forces to attack Ranga island, south of Isula Girante, and that Matrus was misled to believe that Berto de Castillos had escaped there instead. The Iron Militia, fearing that Ranga was not effectively prepared for the attack, scrambled to launch from Isula Manele͑ to intercept Matrus' forces.

On May 4, 1824, the Iron Militia discovered that the information provided was erroneous, and that Matrus' militias were actually heading to Isula Manele͑ in a feint attack. The two sides met several kilometers off the south shore, and in an unexpected battle, the Iron Militia was swiftly defeated. Berto de Castillos barely managed to survive, and the remnants of the Iron Militia retreated to Isula Manele͑, bitter at their total loss. This battle, named the "Battle Led by Fear and Rage", is considered the beginning of the Reunification Wars, and marked the start of Matrus' conquest and pacifying campaign and Berto de Hierro's attempt to reunite the islands and reinstate the Commandancy of Siete Islas.

Matrus' forces returned to Isula Girante to regroup, and over the course of the next two years, began a violent campaign of suppression and pacifying the populace, as well as the challenge of expanding his militia in order to reunite Siete Islas under his authoritarian government. Matrus set up his home base in Puerto Mellor in Girante Palica͑ and began drilling his militia. Matrus held the city of Puerto Mellor in terror, using his militia to pacify civilians around the city, and beginning propaganda-based media to persuade the citizens of Puerto Mellor to join Matrus' militia and fight for authoritarian rule.

Flag of the Iron Militia designed by Berto, el Hierro de Castillos.
It was based upon the first flag of Siete Islas.

As Isula Girante was embroiled in authoritarian conflicts, the rest of the archipelago began to drift apart politically. The rest of the seven isles had since abandoned the idea of Siete Islas as a political entity, and by electing new governments and reforming legislative systems, each of the islands became politically independent and self-sustaining. The outer islands had also begun setting up their own small militias and erecting defenses on their coasts, as the five other islands in the archipelago were still ruled by the Spanish Empire after the collapse of their American colonies, and the new independent governments felt that now after the dissolution of Siete Islas, they were increasingly vulnerable to Spanish invasion and reclamation.

In 1825, Matrus had control over the city of Puerto Mellor, and with this newly-established capital for his movement, sent his now 10,000-strong militia, named the "United Force" (Spanish: "Fuerza Unida", Ne͗va Ledo͑ma: "Va͗rsa U͑nasa"), around Isula Girante to capture and suppress the remaining population. Matrus planned to expand into the remaining islands if his campaign in Isula Girante succeeded. Matrus designed a flag for the United Force based loosely on the flag he designed for Siete Islas several years earlier, with a green background and a pattern of stars .

At this time, Berto de Castillos and the Iron Militia were on Isula Manele͑ busy regrouping from their defeat at the Battle Led by Fear and Rage. Berto de Castillos was furious at the defeat, and vowed to God that he would battle Matrus again and win, a vow that he followed by training his militia intensely. Several militiamen wrote in their journals of drilling for two or three days on end with minimal sleep and constant hunger, with one account claiming that several militiamen dropped dead from heatstroke or starvation in the middle of training, and that their bodies were simply left on the training grounds as the rest of the militia drilled around the corpses. Another problem was that a large portion of the militia consisted of some of the original Breakaway Militiamen, as they were aging and becoming more frail with every drill. Throughout 1825, Matrus would drill his militia in "bursts" that lasted several days, then resting for a day out of pure exhaustion. Concern arose that when the time came for an actual confrontation with Matrus came, the Iron Militia would fail due to many of the problems listed above. Berto de Castillos, however, was determined to defeat Matrus' United Force if it cost him his life.

By the turn of 1826, the United Force was midway through their campaign of suppression and military rule throughout Isula Girante. In late February of that year, United Forces officer, Captain Hernando Ve̜iro, was alerted to a possible small rebellion in I̹ezure, a small town in the south of Isula Girante, where the United Forces had not yet been. Ve̜iro, a strong supporter of the autocratic government and Matrus, and strongly opposed to any sort of rebellion, immediately began gathering his regiment and heading towards I̹ezure. When he arrived in early March, he slaughtered the townsfolk and torched great sections of the town in what was called "the Murder of the I̹ezure Spirit". What remained of the town was entirely demoralized and easily pacified by the United Force. No evidence of a rebellion has been found in I̹ezure before the Murder, however, and it is debated whether Ve̜iro acted for the good of the authoritarian party or to advance his own interests.

Flag of the United Force designed by Matrus, based upon the flag
Matrus had designed for Siete Islas, using a green color-scheme
with a pattern of stars.

Matrus quickly took notice of Ve̜iro's actions, and instead of reprimanding him for acting without orders, Matrus praised him for "taking the initiative" and "ending an uprising before it breathed its first breath." Matrus viewed Ve̜iro as an asset to the United Force, and Ve̜iro was quickly promoted to First General of the United Force, a rank that both gave Ve̜iro command of the entire militia, and also a rank that had not previously existed.

By late 1826, the United Force controlled a heavy majority of Isula Girante, and that militia had expanded to around 12,000 members. The United Force and Matrus were feared across the seven islands, and the Spanish authority on the six other major islands had even heard of his rule. Berto de Castillos, while unable to ascertain the status of Isula Ranga, was able to use his Iron Militia to secure the coastline of Isula Manele͑ by building small forts, and also was able to keep track of several key towns farther in the interior the island. Due to the fear and panic in the civilian population caused by the United Force's increasing threat on the other islands, the Iron Militia gained more members. Most of the new recruits were young men emboldened by the idea of reuniting Siete Islas, and even a few woman joined the militia. By the turn of 1827, the Iron Militia had about 6,000 members, and was continuing to grow. Berto de Castillos had secured Isula Manele͑, and had begun reaching out to the little islands north of Isula Manele͑, such as Isla del Norte, for any support they could offer.

By March 1827, Isula Girate's population and resources were under total control by Matrus and the United Force, and a state of authoritarian monarchism was established, with the United Force brutally suppressing towns and holding civilians in a constant state of terror. Matrus began expanding southward to Isula Ranga in April of that year, but the minor militia on Ranga was able to hold off a violent assault of the island for some time. The Rangan forces were able to send a message to the Iron Militia on Isula Manele͑, asking them for assistance with defense.

Berto de Castillos, content with his now nearly 8,000-member militia, decided that now would be the time to launch a counteroffensive on Matrus' forces. The militia, consisting mostly of ex-Breakaway Militiamen, and civilian volunteers from Isulas Manele͑ and Norte, were growing impatient with their constant drilling and lack of real combat, were largely excited at their imminent launch to Isula Girante. Berto de Castillos gave a rousing speech the night of July 2nd, the eve of their launch. His speech, fiery and angry, lasted five minutes, and was said to have elicited a loud cheer from the Iron Militia gathered before him. An excerpt of his speech reads in part:

"Tonight, sisters and brothers, men and ladies of the Iron Militia, is a night to remember. We stand at the cusp of a struggle worthy of His own might, at the beginning of an age of freedom, of reunification, and revolution. We stand where men do not dare to venture; the edge of God's domain here and above, and Lucifer's below! Remember that no matter the size and power of the United Force, they are missing a critical necessity for any victorious army: you! Each of you standing before me has pledged his life to Siete Islas, and the power of you alone awes God Himself, and reminds Him that there is no such thing as the impossible! Blessed may your sleep be tonight, for tomorrow we shall spill the blood of those unfaithful to Siete Islas!"

(translated from Refined Ne͗va Ledo͑ma, modernized)

This speech is perhaps one of Ricano history's most famous speeches.

Early on July 3, 1827, the Iron Militia launched from Isula Manele͑ towards Isula Girante, marking the beginning of the year-long Struggle Until Mellor, a series of conflicts in which the Iron Militia fought the United Force to retake the capital at Puerto Mellor and reunite Siete Islas.

Early on July 4th, the fleet confronted a regiment of the United Force defending the northern coast. The Battle for the Landing ensued, where the Iron Militia succeeded in breaking through the United Force's defenses and landed on the shore. Upon landing, the Iron Militia forced the remainder of the regiment to surrender, and took control of the fortress as their base for operations on Isula Girante. It was in this fortress that Berto de Castillos formulated a battle plan. Berto de Castillos would split his army, a force of 8,000, into three sections. He would command a 2,000-man force, and his force would try to take a path through the center of the island, heading southward. The remaining 6,000-man force was to be divided into two 3,000-man regiments, under the respective commands of Marzo Trifo and Am-a͗ Sudei. These two forces would head south, taking both coasts to disable any port towns that Matrus may have used to launch naval attacks. The three forces would meet up, then head up the coast together to Puerto Mellor, disabling or destroying Matrus' forces and securing the island. On July 5th, the Iron Militia split up and began enacting this three-pronged attack strategy.

The lack of many major forces or towns in the northern section of Isula Girante allowed the Iron Militia to easily begin their advance. When Matrus was alerted of the arrival of the Iron Militia, he recalled a major portion of the United Force fleet at Isula Ranga to assist the Isula Girante effort, leaving his landing at Isula Ranga vulnerable. The United Force was mostly concentrated in Isula Girante's south, and the Iron Militia was concentrated in the north, so major conflicts in the first six months were few and far between.

An intervaled map detailing the events of the
First Reunification War.
(1 yr/sec).

Matrus ordered First General Ve̜iro to head north to the town of A-e͑tosa͑, a strategically important city necessary for the defense of Isula Girante, in an attempt to set up a viable defense against the Iron Militia. A-e͑tosa͑ sits several degrees north of Puerto Mellor, on the coast opposite to that city, meaning that it was very unlikely that Ve̜iro would arrive before one of those two cities was under attack, leading to quick and easy openings appearing in the United Force's lines. Ve̜iro and his regiments, loyal to Matrus, set out despite the odds.

The Iron Miltia section led by Am-a͐ Sudei managed to arrive at the coastal town of A-e͑tosa͑ before the United Force could make it. The town's governer quickly pledged A-e͑tosa͑'s allegiance to Siete Islas and the Iron Militia, and General Sudei hastily formed a defense perimeter around the town, expecting the United Force's arrival. On February 6, 1828, the Battle of Coldshore Hill took place several kilometers outside A-e͑tosa͑, on Coldshore Hill. The battle, lasting two full days, ended in an Iron Militia victory, due to the United Force being caught off guard by the Iron Militia's heavy preparation. Most of First General Ve̜iro's regiments were decimated in the attack, and Ve̜iro himself was badly wounded. A-e͑tosa͑ was now an Iron Militia stronghold, and General Sudei's section recruited approximately one hundred new volunteers. Ve̜iro was executed without trial on February 12, in front of cheering crowds, and the Iron Militia was revered.

Matrus was furious at Ve̜iro's failure. He became increasingly paranoid that his rule was coming to an end, and feared an invasion of Puerto Mellor. He ordered the remaining 9,000 members of the United Force to head to Puerto Mellor to defend him and his capital, but the Iron Militia section led by General Trifo was closing on the city, and it was increasingly unlikely that the United Force would arrive to defend the city in time. Matrus, out of other options, fled Puerto Mellor, and escaped the city successfully to reunite with the United Force and formulate a plan. On May 4, 1828, the Iron Militia arrived at Puerto Mellor to little resistance, and the city rejoiced at being reunited with a friendly force.

After the liberation of Puerto Mellor, Berto de Castillos reunited the Iron Militia at the capital city, and proclaimed the freedom of Isula Girante was at stake until Mario Matrus was dead. On May 21, after a period of rest and resupplying, Berto de Castillos sent out the Iron Militia on a campaign of sweeping across Isula Girante, liberating towns still under martial law as well as searching for Matrus and what remained of the United Force.

Over the remainder of 1828, the Iron Militia, under the command of General Marzo Trifo searched the remainder of Isula Girante, reuniting the island's towns and villages to the skeletal Isula Girante government while trying to find Matrus' whereabouts. Berto de Castillos remained in Puerto Mellor, assisting in the rebuilding of the regional government and trying to revive the idea of Siete Islas.

In late December of 1828, the Iron Militia encountered Mario Matrus and the miniscule United Force deep in central Isula Girante. The Iron Militia enacted a heavy assault on the remainder of the United Force, killing off almost the entire force, while taking Matrus hostage. The militia returned to Puerto Mellor with Matrus as a prisoner, and on January 2, 1829, Matrus was brutally executed without trial, to extensive praise from the Puerto Mellor townspeople.

Second Reunification War

Berto de Castillos was hailed as a hero for his leadership, and the Iron Militia was praised for its bravery and valiant efforts. Berto de Castillos was revered, and his generals and associates urged him to reinstate and lead the Commandancy, citing that it was what his father had done, and that he needed to alleviate the tensions across the archipelago. Berto de Castillos accepted, and on January 20th, 1829, the Breakaway Commandancy was restored, with Berto as its Commander.

However, only the islands of Isula Girante and Isula Manele͑ reunited into the Commandancy, and the remaining five islands that were once members of Siete Islas now rejected this proposal. These five islands, in the years of the First Reunification War, had drifted apart politically, with each establishing their own governments, legislature, and militaries. These governments resisted the call of reunification, fearing that another union would only lead to further internal conflict civil war, further damaging the islands.

Berto de Castillos was outraged at the rejection of the proposal, and called for a meeting with his associates to discuss the matter. After a 19-hour long session, where Berto de Castillos debated with lawmakers, associates, and Generals Trifo and Sudei on possible courses of action, a controversial decision was reached: in the interest of Siete Islas, the Breakaway Commandancy would reiterate their demands of reunification to the belligerent insular governments, emphasizing that they were unafraid of calling on the Iron Militia to forcefully invade and reunite the islands. If the governments refused again, then the Iron Militia would be sent to address the governments, and if necessary, take control of them.

This decision was seen by many as a sign that Berto de Castillos was politically unstable. An invasion was widely considered by the public as an overreach of the Commandancy's powers. Many called for his removal from power for simply suggesting the idea. Many Siete Islan nationalists, however, praised Berto for his forcefulness, and wished for political reunification of the archipelago under any circumstances.

On February 14th, 1829, letters by the Commandancy were sent to the five insular governments. These letters listed the demands for reunification, the rewards for joining, and the consequences of refusing. Of the five belligerent governments, only one, Isula Ranga, accepted the proposal, and rejoined the Breakaway Commandancy. Much to the shock and dismay of Berto de Castillos, the remaining four islands rejected the proposal, claiming that Berto's forceful demands and nationalist views only further cemented the likelihood of a reunited Siete Islas having political corruption, discourse, and tyrannical leadership. Berto de Castillos was furious, accusing the four islands of deserting the ideals of strength in unity that Siete Islas was founded on, while the four islands refuted the accusations by citing that the reason Siete Islas broke away was to avoid dictatorial and tyrannical rule, which was now clearly evident in the Breakaway Commandancy, and so they were only doing what Siete Islas had done before.

On February 16th, 1829, Berto de Castillos, alongside his associates and generals in the Breakaway Commandancy, formally declared war on the four belligerent islands for their desertion of Siete Islas and their refusal to reunite. This declaration of war set in motion the Second Reunification War, a series of political and ideological conflicts over the reunification of the seven islands.

The Second Reunification War

Dates: February 16, 1829 - October 5, 1831

(Reunification of Siete Islas under Berto, el Hierro de Castillos)
- October 17, 1831

Location: Magos Archipelago, New Caribbean Sea

Result: Unificationist/Commandancy victory:
- Siete Islas returns under el Hierro de Castillos
- Insular governments incorporated
Territorial Changes: Commandancy government installed,
all islands agree to reunification.


- el Hierro de Castillos & Commandancy
- Unificationist Sympathizers

- Insurrectionist Union (founded August 1829
- Insurrectionary Militia (Anok's Mutineers)
- Insurrectionary Sympathizers

Commanders and Leaders

- Berto, el Hierro de Castillos
- Marzo Trifo (resigned 1829)
- Am-a͗ Sudei
- Ral Tuas
- Antre Karca͑

- Unnamed Insurrectionist Leaders
- Anok
- Vernato Krao


~10,000 Iron Militiamen

~4,000 Rebels

Casualties and Losses

~1,000 - ~2,000 deaths (200 deserters)
~900 - ~1,900 Militiamen
~100 Unificationist sympathizers

~1,000 - ~2,000 deaths


The Second Reunification War was the second of three Reunification Wars, and was a conflict between the Breakaway Commandancy, isolated to the northern three islands and demanding that the southern islands return to the Commandancy, and the Insurrectionist Union, a militarist alliance consisting of the southern four islands which declared that their independence was legitimate and justified.

As a result of the polarizing political ideologies that began to form regarding the four islands' independence, two major political movements began to form. The first movement was the Insurrectionist Movement, which largely consisted of people upset by the Commandancy in some form or another: political liberals and libertarians, republicans inspired by the Latin American revolutions, and radicals that wanted to balkanize the entirety of the Breakaway Commandancy and undermine Siete Islas as an authority. This movement argued for the independence of the four islands.

The second movement was the Unificationist Movement. This movement was largely comprised of radical Siete Islan nationalists, as well as many moderates living in the three Breakaway Commandancy islands. They argued against the independence of the four islands, and wanted to reunite Siete Islas under the Breakaway Commandancy.

During much of early 1829, Berto de Castillos struggled to mobilize the Iron Militia, as it had begun to spread across the Breakaway Commandancy's three islands, and began acting as a defense force. The militia had also began recruiting volunteers en masse, since their victories during the First Reunification War served to aggrandize them in the eyes of the public. By May of 1829, when they had finally regrouped at Puerto Mellor, the Iron Militia exceeded 10,000 members. Berto de Castillos, impressed by their size, and eager to finally attack the four islands, called on the Commandancy government to assemble as many ships as they could in order to transport the Militiamen to the islands. Over the two months that the Commandancy spent mustering seaworthy vessels to Puerto Mellor, General Sudei split the Iron Militia into those that would be deployed and those that would remain defending the Breakaway Commandancy, while General Trifo trained and prepared the militia for what they expected to be a quick and easily-won war. By July, the Iron Militia was properly delegated and ready to mobilize.

The four belligerent Insurrectionist Islands, on the other hand, had a minimal, trained, fighting force. When the Breakaway Militia fractured back in 1823, several surviving expatriate regiments had fled to the four southern islands, seeking refuge from the war occurring on the northern three islands. The southern islands were disconnected from the central government of the Breakaway Commandancy, and left to essentially fend for themselves. After establishing weak yet stable skeleton governments on the four islands, Insurrectionists soon realized that the four islands were left extremely vulnerable to invasion from the north, due to the lack of any organized military to defend the islands.

Hearing of this, a member of the expatriate militias, only referred to as simply "Anok", approached the skeleton governments with a proposition. He offered the allegiance of the expatriate militias in exchange for political asylum and eventual citizenship in the Insurrectionist Islands. The skeleton governments, fearing a military assault from the north, all accepted his proposal. Anok assumed control over the new Insurrectionist Militia as a general, and over the course of six years, the Insurrectionist Islands began strengthening their governments, as Anok trained and recruited new members for his force.

On July 26, 1829, the 8,000 deployed Iron Militiamen stationed on Isula Ranga set off to attack their first target: Isula Kure̜o, the island directly southwest of Isula Girante and directly west of Isula Ranga. Berto targeted this island due its proximity to Isula Ranga, as well as the lack of major civilization on that island. Much of Kure̜o consisted of forests, which, in Berto's mind, would allow the Iron Militia to quickly and easily sweep the island and capture it.

The next day, on July 27, the Iron Militia landed on the small port town of Lucosta on Kure̜o's eastern coast, to little resistance. The town was unusually tense, as General Trifo noted to Berto de Castillos. Lucosta's mayor met with Berto in the town's square to supposedly offer his town's allegiance to the Iron Militia's cause. However, this was soon revealed as a deception, after Anok and the Insurrectionist Militia emerged into the town square and ambushed the Iron Militia, inflicting devastating damage and forcing the Iron Militia out of Lucosta and back towards the coast. The battle was reportedly over shortly, only taking 8 minutes before the beleaguered Iron Militia retreated. The battle killed 141 Iron Militiamen, while only 16 Insurrectionist soldiers were killed.

General Trifo referred to the battle as "Anok's Mutiny", describing it as "the battle that's shaken my confidence to a degree I haven't felt before, and the one that shows the Insurrectionists are truly despicable traitors to the good of the Breakaway Commandancy." Anok's Mutiny set the precedent for Insurrectionist battle tactics, and acquainted the Iron Militia for the first time with the Insurrectionists' military capabilities and training culminations.

Anok somehow caught wind of the name "Anok's Mutiny", and he liked the name so much that he renamed the Insurrectionist Militia to "Anok's Mutineers", a bold move that revealed Anok's arrogance to the Insurrectionists. Their faith in him, however, was very strong after his swift victory on Kure̜o.

The Iron Militia's fleet returned to Isula Girante, heavily beaten and low on supplies and morale. Berto de Castillos was taken aback by the speed that the fleet had been beaten at, so he began searching for another course of action. The failed invasion of Kure̜o angered and emboldened him, and he approached Generals Trifo and Sudei for possible courses of action.

Two plans were presented to Berto, almost exactly opposite of each other. General Trifo preferred a direct and full-scale attack, a tactic he had used back in the First Reunification War, to much success. Trifo's plan outlined an island hopping campaign, where the entire deployed militia would attack and capture one island, then jump to another, until all four Insurrectionist Islands had been subdued. This plan would, however, leave the Iron Militia vulnerable to "whittling down", and did not afford them many options if they were too weak to move on to the next island. The second plan was presented by General Sudei, who had preferred stealthy and covert movements in the First Reunification War, a tactic that brought him success as well. Sudei proposed dividing the deployed militia into four blocks, with each block separately assaulting one island. This plan might have afforded the Iron Militia with quicker victories, but it also meant that each block would only have a fourth of the Iron Militia's capability, which left them vulnerable to "divide and conquer" mentality defeats.

After much deliberation, Berto chose General Sudei's plan, involving the four-pronged attack strategy, much to General Trifo's dismay. Trifo argued with Berto over the possibility of Sudei's plan being successful. Enraged at the acceptance of a proposal he found dangerous and ineffective, Trifo lashed out at Berto and resigned his commission, walking out of the Iron Militia' camp and north into the forest, leaving the militia and the entire war in jeopardy.

After Trifo's spontaneous, last-minute resignation, morale sharply declined in the Iron Militia. Trifo was largely popular in the Iron Militia due to his successes and low casualty count in the last war, and his resignation prompted many in the militia to desert. By August, 200 Militiamen had deserted in protest of Trifo's resignation, and Berto was faced with rumored mutiny within the Iron Militia's ranks.

Berto needed a new general to replace Trifo, and he selected a passionate nationalist Militiaman named Ral Tuas. Tuas had been an outspoken advocate of Siete Islas expansion since Matrus' regime in the early 1800's, and was well-known for his public outcries over political rifts between the islands during the First Reunification War, and his intolerance of Insurrectionist views on insular independence. Berto selected Tuas for his military skill as well as his popularity among the Militia for his pro-Siete-Islan and expansionist ideals.

Tuas was instated as a general of the Iron Militia on August 8, 1829, and quickly began rousing the troops with fervent and zealous speeches, easily gaining a large following among the men, as well as respect from Berto himself. Tuas soon became a figurehead of the Reunification movement, inspiring the Militiamen and making them eager and restless to return to combat. Tuas eventually approached Berto, and confronted him on his "efforts to delay the inevitable attack on the traitorous southern islands". Berto soon relented, citing that he "feared the second invasion would turn out as the first had". Tuas eventually convinced Berto to rally the troops, and to prepare for a second assault. The evening of August 27, Berto rallied the Militia, giving a speech to the Militia regarding the second invasion, and praising the Militia's efforts and successes in the wars so far. The Militia celebrated throughout the entire evening, and for the remainder of August, prepared their fleet for the second assault on the Insurrectionist Islands.

The Insurrectionist Islands, meanwhile, were establishing barricades and drilling for the inevitability of a second strike from the Iron Militia. Anok approached the Insurrectionist governments with a controversial proposal. While Anok's Mutineers were fighting for the Insurrectionist Islands' collective independence, the islands weren't operating under a united government, something which Anok believed hindered the islands' chances of gaining independence. The Insurrectionist governments debated over Anok's proposal, at first mostly opposed to the idea, before finally relenting in the interest of winning the war. On August 29th, the four Insurrectionist Islands signed an formal armistice, binding the four governments in an alliance dubbed the "Insurrectionist Union". This armistice was agreed to remain in effect until the end of the war, at which point a second deliberation would be held to determine if the Union should be disbanded or remain in power.

By early September, the Iron Militia was finally ready to embark on their return to Kure̜o. General Sudei split the Militia into four blocks, each with around 2,000 Militiamen with four ships, totaling 8,000 active Militiamen. These blocks were then assigned to attack one of the four islands in a four-pronged attack pattern. Berto de Castillos took command of the Block One, Generals Sudei and Tuas took command of Blocks Two and Three respectively, and a recently appointed Captain Antre Karca͑ took command of the Block Four. The remaining 2,000 soldiers, under the command of an unnamed captain, would stay behind to police the northern islands and maintain order in the Breakaway Commandancy, and act as reserves in case the active Militia needed reinforcements.

Berto noted in his logs that this assault "have some of the Militiamen shaken, as memories of the first attack certainly inspire doubt in them." On September 5, 1829, the Iron Militia, fully delegated and prepared for the second assault, embarked towards the Insurrectionist Union, determined to reunite Siete Islas.

Berto and Block One of the Iron Militia, landed on eastern Isula Kure̜o, by the town of Lucosta, on the morning of September 6, to little resistance. Berto, concerned that there would be another ambush similar to the original Anok's Mutiny, ordered his soldiers to storm Lucosta. After conducting a full sweep of the small town, Berto was satisfied that Anok's Mutineers were not occupying the city. Block One occupied Lucosta and established a small military stronghold base there that they would use as a jumping point for their invasion.

General Sudei and Block Two landed on the neighboring island of Isula Navaco͑ba, just east of Isula Kure̜o, late during the evening of September 6. Anok's Mutineers had a defense point inside the coastal forests of Navaco͑ba that was not visible to the Militiamen in the dusk. The Mutineers took this chance to strike Block Two as soon as it landed, cutting down 300 Militiamen before General Sudei was able to break through the Mutineer's lines. After an hour, Block Two subdued and defeated the Mutineers, before establishing a small camp in the forest and regrouping.

General Tuas and Block Three landed on the island of Isula Muntagones (the island just south of Isula Navaco͑ba) early on September 8, 1829, initially encountering no Mutineers. Tuas took the opportunity to explore deeper into the island, before coming across an old Spanish mission that Anok's Mutineers had used as a stronghold. Block Three assaulted the small group of Mutineers, managing to cut down a large number of them and forcing out the survivors into the forest. Block Three occupied the small mission and regrouped.

Block Four attempted to land on Isula Ustanu, the southernmost Insurrectionist Island, on the morning of September 9. A regiment of Anok's Mutineers had occupied an old Spanish fort on the coast of Ustanu, and managed to sink one of Block Four's vessels before Block Four was forced to retreat. The sunken vessel was lost with all hands, including the block's captain, leaving Block Four without any major command structure. Block Four sailed back north, eventually landing on Isula Muntagones' southeastern coast on September 11. Block Four finally disembarked and established a small base camp in the forests, trying to regroup and establish a command structure.

Anok was overwhelmed by the incoming reports of the Iron Militia's successful assaults, and was furious at the losses the Mutineers had had. The Insurrectionist Union confronted Anok on his Mutineers' failures, threatening to remove him from command of his forces if they did not prove successful in deterring the Iron Militia. Anok frantically tried to delegate his Mutineers to the islands' coasts, as the Mutineers tried and failed to locate the Iron Militia's camps.

On Isula Kure͔o, Berto de Castillos had figured out a strategy for capturing the island and subduing all enemy forces. Isula Kure̜o has two major parts: a smaller northern peninsula (where Lucosta and Block One were located), and a larger southern peninsula. Block One would move capture the northern peninsula and establish a barricade at the thinnest point, before pushing southward and capturing the island. Berto, satisfied with his plan, informed Block One of the strategy. On September 21, Berto and Block One departed from Lucosta to enact his plan, staying close to the coast in order to cut off all sea access for the Mutineers. By late October, Block One has managed to capture the entire northern peninsula, and they had established a weak defense line across the island's thinnest stretch. Mutineers on the southern peninsula tried several times to punch through the defensive line during October and November, but failed each time.

Sudei and Block Two, meanwhile, were still fighting off Mutineer offenses in their small camp on Isula Navaco͑ba. By November, the block had endured three separate assaults and lost nearly a fourth of their ranks to the attacks. General Sudei, furious, ordered a push back against the Mutineers. On November 14, 1829, during a lull in Mutineer attacks, Block Two left their base camp and pushed through the Mutineer forces surrounding them. The Battle for the Jungle, as it was named, was Block Two's successful push out into the jungle from their base camp. Sudei ordered a full sweep of the island, and used rough maps of the island to deduce where towns and villages may be. By December, Block Two has managed to capture a large swath of northeastern Navaco͑ba, including three towns and several small villages.

By the turn of 1830, Blocks One and Two had made much progress in capturing the northern two Insurrectionist Islands, while Blocks Three and Four had only made small advances, if any. Anok was furious at the Iron Militia's success, and he began to recognize the futility of the war. While somewhat in denial, Anok was aware that winning the war and achieving independence was an impossibility.

An intervaled map detailing the events of the
Second Reunification War.
(6 months/sec).

The Insurrectionist Union was very disappointed that Anok's Mutineers were so unsuccessful in defending the islands, and ousted Anok from power. Anok, fearing for his life, fled to Isula Kure̜o in February 1830, and rendezvoused with a small surviving regiment of the Mutineers. Anok, anticipating the absence of a major fighting force in the Breakaway Commandancy, plotted an attack on Isula Girante while the Iron Militia was mostly fighting in the south.

On March 4, 1830, Anok and his Mutineers stole several vessels and set course to Isula Girante, while the Iron Militia finished their attacks on the Insurrectionist Islands. A week later, on March 13, the Mutineers washed up just south of the city of A-e͑tosa͑, a city that housed a reserve Iron Militia Regiment of about 500. The Mutineers were swiftly defeated after an hour-long standoff, and the survivors, including Anok himself, were taken prisoner. On March 25, 1830, Anok and company were executed in A-e͑tosa͑'s square.

The blocks continued fighting through the jungle until mid-1830, when a breakthrough was made. Blocks Three and Four, both fighting on Isula Muntagones, and each unaware of the other's presence, encountered each other in early June of 1830. Both blocks had suffered heavy casualties, but they had each made surprising progress on liberating Muntagones. General Tuas shared maps they had sketched of the island with Block Four, and after quick regrouping, Blocks Three and Four together continued to successfully liberate Isula Muntagones by July of 1830.

The liberation of Muntagones punched a hole in the Insurrectionist Islands. After losing one core member, the collective governments of the islands scrambled to keep the Insurrectionist movement alive. Culturally, the movement had largely lost traction since March, after Anok's disappearance and execution became well-known. Most Insurrectionists finally recognized the futility of the war, and the movement was largely abandoned in the Breakaway Commandancy. In the Insurrectionist Union itself, public outcry plagued the governments as dissidents pointed out the hypocrisy of the Islands uniting into the Union, and the Union's losses outweighing any possible gains the Mutineers may have made.

However, the Insurrectionist Union did not agree with the sentiments, and desperately tried to maintain the war going. In November of 1830, the Union installed a man named Vernato Krao as leader of the Mutineers, in an attempt to bring order back to the scattered militia. Krao was only in command of five regiments, totaling around 800 men, as the remainder of the Mutineers were either engaged with the Iron Militia or were missing deep in the forests of the islands.

Krao's regiments set off to defend Isula Navaco͑ba, which was now being squeezed from the north by Block Two, and from the south by Blocks Three and Four. The leaders of the Insurrectionist Union, meanwhile, fled to Isula Ustanu, in an attempt to establish a government-in-exile. Due to the lack of any enforcement, however, they were unable to effectively lead any remaining Insurrectionist sectors. By 1831, three of the four Insurrectionist Islands, Isulas Kure̜o, Muntagones, and Navaco͑ba had been liberated, with only the southernmost island of Isula Ustanu under Insurrectionist control.

On January 29, 1831, Krao's regiments of the Mutineers confronted Block One on the western coast of the Isula Navaco͑ba. The Battle of Cowardice, as it was later dubbed in Berto de Castillos' log, was the resulting battle, a quick and relatively easy battle as Krao's regiments had lost their morale and surrendered in under forty minutes. Krao was subsequently taken prisoner and sent back to Puerto Mellor on Isula Navaco͑ba for execution.

Over the course of 1831, Blocks Two and Three swept over Isulas Muntagones and Navaco͑ba in an attempt to weed out any remaining Insurrectionist soldiers and to fully occupy the islands with the Breakaway Commandancy. Meanwhile, Berto de Castillos and Block One confronted the Insurrectionist leaders on Isula Ustanu.

On October 1, 1831, Block One of the Iron Militia stormed the stronghold the sheltered the Insurrectionist leaders. Berto de Castillos asked them why they not only supported the Insurrectionists, but why they destroyed their islands' local governments in order to form a union. The leaders stayed silent, and did not answer any questions. Berto, left without a choice, was forced to execute two of the leaders on the spot, while the other two were subdued and taken back to Isula Girante. (The leaders' name were specifically not mentioned in Berto de Castillos' log and not documents remain listing their names.)

The Iron Militia met for one last time on October 5, in Lucosta, on Isula Kure̜o, to discuss what would happen next. While there, the two remaining Insurrectionist leaders formally issued a statement disbanding the Insurrectionist Union, before being executed themselves. Berto and Block One agreed to return to Puerto Mellor on Isula Girante to reinstate Siete Islas, while Blocks Two, Three, and Four would remain on the four former Insurrectionist Islands to establish local governments and a military presence.

Berto and Block One returned to Isula Girante on October 7, to cheering crowds of Unificationists. Triumphantly, they arrived at Puerto Mellor with the statement issued by the Insurrectionist leaders. Over the next several weeks, Berto began drafting the Fourth Charter of the Breakaway Commandancy, a serious of documents meant to improve upon the Third Charter and to prevent another civil war like the Reunification Wars from happening again. Meanwhile, Generals Sudei and Tuas worked to reintegrate the four islands back into the central government of the Commandancy by establishing small skeleton governments loyal to the Commandancy.

On October 17, 1831, at Puerto Mellor, Commander Berto, el Hierro de Castillos signed the Fourth Charter of the Breakaway Commandancy, which signified the reintegration of all seven island back into the Breakaway Commandancy and the re-founding of Siete Islas under Berto's Commandancy, the ending of the Reunification Wars, and the dissolution of the United Force, the Insurrectionist movement, and Anok's Mutineers.