Article 5 – The Executive Body
1. Once elected, the Chairman of the Board will choose at their discretion five other member nations of OSEAN to form a Board of Directors to serve as the Organisation's executive body. Excluding the Chairman and in order of line of succession, the positions shall be as follows:
- Director in Chief
- Director of War
- Director of Internal Security
- Director of Public Relations
- Director of Economics
2. No nation may occupy more than one position in the Board of Directors, though nothing in this clause shall be interpreted as prohibiting a Board member from assuming charge of an additional subsidiary organ of OSEAN.
3. Only OSEAN members maintaining an active presence on the Discord RP server may be eligible for appointment to the Board of Directors. The definition of active presence shall be determined by the Chairman of the Board. The Secretary may not be appointed as a Director on the Board.
4. With the approval of the Chairman of the Board, Directors who hold a portfolio may request members of OSEAN to serve as Attachés of their Directorates and assist them in their duties. Such Attachés shall only hold the authority necessary for their appointed tasks, as judged by their Director, and may be dismissed at the latter's discretion. Attaché positions will not be considered as officials within OSEAN's membership, and have no formal title of their own.
5. Should five or more of the Organisation’s members become dissatisfied with the performance of any of the Directors on the Board, a petition with their signatures may be submitted to the Secretary. At that time, a Vote of No Confidence will be conducted, and if it should be found that two-thirds or more of the General Conference lacks confidence, then the official in question is ousted. The Chairman of the Board may then appoint a new member to fill the emptied position.
6. Should a Director of the Board give notice that they are unable to fulfill their duties, or vacate their position, the Chairman of the Board shall immediately select a member nation from the General Conference who is not the Secretary to appoint as the replacement Director.
7. All nations assuming a position leading a Directorate shall take the Oath of Allegiance printed below prior to taking their posts:
“I, [NATION NAME], do solemnly swear that I shall execute the duties of my office to the full extent of my capability. I shall always tell the full truth of any affair to my superiors, and I shall keep secret all that I have been instructed to keep secret by my superiors. I shall never commit any act of treason against OSEAN, and shall always further the OSEAN cause during my tenure in office.”
1. The Chairman of the Board is the highest ranking member in the Organisation, and serves as OSEAN's head of government & head of state. This position holds all executive powers, and has the final say in all matters. They may oversee all OSEAN organs outside of the General Conference as necessary, and they may also create or dissolve subsidiary agencies as the circumstances demand. The Chairman serves as the head of the OSEAN Armed Forces.
2. The Chairman of the Board has the ability to appoint members to serve as Directors in the Board of Directors, and may replace any Director at any point in time.
3. The Chairman of the Board shall have the authority to change the flag and symbols of OSEAN, but any change must be approved by the Secretary.
4. The Chairman of the Board shall be responsible for publishing a State of the Organisation address every 3 weeks from their date of inauguration, for a total of 4 addresses per term. The State of the Organisation address will inform members as to changes in appointments among their officials within the Board of Directors, update them as to the progress of current OSEAN projects, and provide information on major events & the well-being of the Organisation.
6. Should the Chairman of the Board give notice that they are unable to fulfil their duties, or vacate their position, the Director next in line will succeed them and serve as the Interim Chairman of the Board for the remainder of that term.
1. The Director in Chief is the second-highest ranking position in OSEAN. As the Organisation’s second in command, they are responsible for carrying out the responsibilities of the Chairman when the latter are unavailable. For this reason, the Director in Chief may determine the final say in matters, excepting the cases where their decision contradicts a prior one issued by the Chairman or when their decision is later overruled by the Chairman.
2. The Director in Chief is additionally responsible for the maintenance of OSEAN’s foreign affairs with other alliances and nations on Strangereal. As an office already invested with executive powers, they shall be tasked with the duty of acting as OSEAN’s diplomatic representative in all situations unless otherwise deemed necessary by the Chairman of the Board.
1. The Director of War is responsible for defending the security of OSEAN against external threats such as rogue military organisations, nations, or alliances, as well as the safeguarding of members against internal armed conflict. As such, they are invested with the authority of being the second-highest ranking military position in OSEAN after the Chairman of the Board.
2. The Director of War serves as the Commander in Chief of the OSEAN Armed Forces, and are authorised to deploy them globally as they see fit for the purposes of fulfilling their responsibilities. They may also deploy the armed forces of their own nation, or lead a combined coalition consisting of the militaries of multiple members for the same purpose.
3. The Director of War is the primary position responsible for the rejection of any member nation's Appeal to Arms, if they judge their Appeal to be unjustified or likely to place the alliance at an unacceptable risk of negative repercussions.
4. Only the Director of War, with the General Conference's approval, may declare a war of aggression on behalf of the Organisation as a whole against another alliance or nation. Such a Declaration of War must first be submitted to vote before the General Conference as a Bill in line with the procedures outlined in Article 6 Section 2; with the Director replacing the role of Secretary for the duration of the session. However, unlike a standard Bill, the Declaration shall only be passed if all votes registered are in favour, and would be struck down should any member choose to vote "Nay".
1. The Director of Internal Security shall be charged with maintaining the well-being of the Organisation and resolving internal disputes involving members. This Director will enforce all rules concerning behaviour found in this Charter and will ensure members are acting in a manner upholding the status of their membership in the Organisation. Their rulings will be respected immediately, but can be appealed to the Chairman of the Board.
2. The Director of Internal Security has the authority to suspend the privileges granted to members if they deem necessary for OSEAN’s safety, up to and including full suspension of a member. Privileges may only be restored to disciplined members by the Director of Internal Security, the Director in Chief, or the Chairman of the Board. As per Article 2 Section 3.3, the Director of Internal Security may expel a member with the approval of the Director in Chief and/or the Chairman of the Board as well as the approval of the General Conference.
3. If the interests of any member of the Organisation are being disregarded by another member nation and the matter is unresolvable privately, members must bring such a situation to the attention of the Director of Internal Security, who will work to bring about a fair resolution for both parties in accordance with this Charter and the Bills of the Organisation. No member appointed to this position will consider any issue involving themselves, and such cases would be dealt with as per Article 6 Section 4.4.
1. The Director of Public Relations is responsible for maintaining OSEAN’s positive image to the benefit of the Organisation. Their duties include recruiting new members, creating and spreading OSEAN propaganda, and releasing official statements regarding the public relations of OSEAN on the RMB. The Director of Public Relations is tasked purely with public relations, rather than the diplomatic relations between OSEAN and other organisations or nations, which are the responsibility of the Director in Chief.
2. The Director of Public Relations is tasked with screening and recruiting prospective members to the Organisation and ensuring that all recruits meet the standards required for membership. The Director may use any methods in accordance with site rules, including but not limited to advertisements on the RMB, telegram campaigns, and recruitment on Discord. Due to these unique duties, holders of this position must maintain both an active presence on the RMB as well as Discord. The definition of active presence shall be determined by the Chairman of the Board.
3. The Director of Public Relations is also responsible for approving or rejecting submitted Applications of Membership. Their decision is active immediately, and does not require further review from any other official position. However, the Chairman of the Board or Director in Chief may override their decision within 24 hours, after conferring with the Director of Public Relations and applicant in question.
1. The Director of Economics is tasked with the management of the Directorate of Economics and OSEAN finances. They are responsible for managing the accounts and budget of the Organisation, maintaining its revenue, and determining OSEAN’s fiscal policy.
2. As the head of the Directorate of Economics, the Director of Economics is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the central bank of OSEAN, to be called the OSEAN International Bank. In this capacity, they are responsible for the issuance of the OSEAN Standard Unit and the maintenance of the monetary base at a level that facilitates OSEAN’s prosperity.
3. The Director of Economics shall also be responsible for the issuance of loans or grants from the OSEAN International Bank to nations and OSEAN members respectively. It is their responsibility to ensure that all approved loans are fiscally responsible—that is, that they generate an amount of profit appropriate in relation to the size and risk of the loan’s principal. Likewise, it is their duty to follow up on members that request economic aid, and to provide alternative assistance if necessary.
4. The Director of Economics has the authority to establish economic or infrastructure projects benefiting OSEAN as they see fit. Projects may be initiated for the direct benefit of OSEAN’s finances, as well as the improvement of OSEAN’s members and economic ties. Such projects shall not be limited in involvement to the Organisation’s membership, and may involve nations or groups of nations outside of OSEAN.