February 10th, 2018
4,519 sq km²
36 - 37 million
Kyarlich (Krasnodarian: Кыарлич) was the capital and most populous city of the Grand Principality of Krasnodaria, serving as the capital of the nation from the year 988, until its destruction in 2018. The city was originally founded in the year 468.
Kyarlich was the major political, economic, cultural, and scientific seat of power of Krasnodaria, home to the once famous House of Serebrov, and one of the most influential cities in Eastern Evrosia. It was among the largest cities in the world both by population and territory, with a population of around 35 million at the time of its destruction, and a territory of 1,745 sq miles (4,519 sq km), and was the most populous city in Eastern Evrosia. The city was remarkably expensive to live in, and was home to much of the aristocratic elite of the nation.
Kyarlich was an inland city situated in a fork on the Voronin River, which flowed to both the north and south sides of the city. Once numerous cities and settlements, Kyarlich's continual growth resulted in it eventually absorbing its neighbors completely. The city was home to most of Krasnodaria's rich culture and famous architecture, and there was only one primary entrance to the city, a highway from the west which passed through the famous Serebrovan gate.
Founded in the year 468, Kyarlich quickly dominated the territories around it and became known as the Princely State of Kyarlich, and has been ruled over by the House of Serebrov shortly after its founding. By 988, Kyarlich had come to militarily dominate the other Krasnodarian territories of Eastern Evrosia and declared the formation of the Grand Principality of Krasnodaria, with Kyarlich as the capital and the House of Serebrov as its rulers. The city would prosper, but in the centuries that followed would suffer severe hardships as Talimkan forces attempted and failed to reach the city in 1380, then again in 1426, when the Kingdoms of Talimka, Varnichia, and Yarendil marched upon the city from the west, north, and east in hopes of laying siege to the city. While somewhat victorious in their war, none of their armies would ever reach the city of Kyarlich itself.
In 1492, the three Kingdoms would once again march upon Kyarlich, and while once again victorious in their war effort, none of the three managed to reach the city. By 1539, Krasnodaria would recover its lost territories and push out the invaders, relieving all pressure upon the city of Kyarlich and beginning an age of mass expansion, conquest, and total genocide by the Krasnodarians. The city would flourish throughout the 1500s, 1600s, and 1700s, before finally coming under threat once again in 1830 by Tulovian Empress Glasha Asmika, who while failed to reach the city, was able to strong-arm a very favorable peace for Tulov under the fear that her next offensive would reach the city. Tulovian forces would attempt to march on the city once again in 1909, taking most of Krasnodaria's territory, but once again failing to ever reach the capital. In 1944, during the Second Tulovian Civil War, Krasnodaria would seize the opportunity to reclaim lost territories and once again push the invaders away from its capital. The 1948 war would see the lost of most of their reclaimed territory, and another attempted Tulovian march on Kyarlich, which once again ended in failure.
Throughout the remainder of the 1900s, the city of Kyarlich would continue to prosper and grow, though the dumping of toxic waste in the Voronin River upon the Tulovian Kingdom's side of the border would render numerous health problems for the residents of the city, the nation and city did what they could to reduce the pollution, which was made much easier with the end of toxic dumping in 1997 with the rise of the United Socialist States of Tulov.
In the Thirteenth-Krasno Tulovian War, the city of Kyarlich was placed under heavy strain in an attempt to support the doomed war effort. By 2017, industry had collapsed, and famine and disease plagued most of the population. Though Krasnodarian AA defenses had successfully prevented the city itself from ever being bombed in the war, by early 2018, Tulovian forces were on the verge of sieging the city, and Krasnodarian defenses were on the collapse.
On the 10th of February, 2018, Grand Prince of Krasnodaria, Samuil Serebrov gave a televised speech to the nation, accompanied by his ministers and high ranking officials, declaring the nation's defeat, and asking that the gods forgive them. The screen turned to white, and then to static.
The Krasnodarians had detonated their entire nuclear arsenal, 17 weapons of unknown size and power, strategically placed throughout and beneath the city, and the city of Kyarlich was wiped from the face of Telrova, taking with it all of its people, history, and culture, leaving behind nothing but a barren landscape that to this day remains to radioactive for any person to set foot. The destruction of the city and sheer ruthlessness displayed by the Krasnodarians shocked the world, yet did not bring an end to the war, which continued until the 2nd of March, 2019.
The Voronin river was dammed and redirected into the Aleksandr Sea in an attempt to prevent the spread of and further irradiation of the Krasnodarian basin as a result of the forked river that had run on both sides of the city, and the city would later be diverted into western Krasnodaria via another route.
Today, Kyarlich is known as the Kyarlich exclusion zone, a large barren stepped surrounded by chain linked fences and barbed wire, riddled in radiation warnings. No person has ever set foot inside the exclusion zone, nor is anyone allowed to. Radiation levels continue to run high, and toxic lakes occasionally form in the craters of Kyarlich during heavy rainfalls and melting snow."
It was not until much later that people began to realize that the Krasnodarians had fulfilled an old decree, one made hundreds of years before.
Kyarlich was considered the hub of all business and commerce within Krasnodaria, home to all major corporations and banks. The city was powered via numerous nuclear power plants, and was home to a gargantuan arms manufacturing industry, which seemed to endlessly churn out equipment for the Krasnodarian Imperial Military. Other major sectors of the city were general manufacturing, the processing of fuels and development of rocket fuels and rocket engines, computing, and a strong fishing industry due to the city's natural location. Numerous universities existed within the city, and were some of the hardest to get into in Telrova, both due to the extreme cost of merely attending, and the extremely high standards set in place for all students. The city was also a hub for medical development, with numerous institutions, hospitals, and clinics.
The city's architecture, cuisine, and history also made it a vibrant hub for tourism, despite the harshly xenophobic views of the Krasnodarian people. The Serebrovan gate was among the most notable monuments within the city, it was a massive multi-story archway, with two statues of hussars on each side of it and a large statue of a chariot built atop it, and all primary traffic to the city had to enter through this gate.
The city had two airports, though both were built outside of city limits, one to the southwest, and the other to the southeast. Rail lines ran through the northern and eastern sides of the city, but were for government purposes only, and civilian rail lines stopped on the southern edge of the city. The city had an extensive subway system beneath it. Like the rest of Krasnodaria, there were no public services within the city, and all forms of transport or medical required payment up front.
The city was also deeply rooted in the Rachitist religion, containing some of the oldest and most important documents of the religion, as well as being home to many Rachitist temples of varying size, grandeur, and age.