The government of The Federal Republic of Panama Coalition has approved in its 2019 budget the project to modernize the nation's railways, which will replace normal trains with high-speed trains with cargo capacity, which will be able to transport passengers and containers to long distances in a short time. For example, they can transport a full train loaded by 300 km in 2 hours of travel.
High-speed rail is a type of rail transport that operates significantly faster than traditional rail traffic, using an integrated system of specialized rolling stock and dedicated tracks. While there is no single standard that applies worldwide, new lines in excess of 250 kilometres per hour (160 mph) and existing lines in excess of 200 kilometres per hour (120 mph) are widely considered to be high-speed, with some extending the definition to include lower speeds in areas for which these speeds still represent significant improvements.
Advantages of High Speed Railway Transport:
1. Dependable: The greatest advantage of the railway transport is that it is the most dependable mode of transport as it is the least affected by weather conditions such as rains, fog etc. compared to other modes of transport.
2. Better Organised: The rail transport is better organised than any other form of transport. It has fixed routes and schedules. Its service is more certain, uniform and regular as compared to other modes of transport.
3. High Speed over Long Distances: Its speed over long distances is more than any other mode of transport, except airways. Thus, it is the best choice for long distance traffic.
4. Suitable for Bulky and Heavy Goods: Railway transport is economical, quicker and best suited for carrying heavy and bulky goods over long distances.
5. Cheaper Transport: It is a cheaper mode of transport as compared to other modes of transport. Most of the working expenses of railways are in the nature of fixed costs. Every increase in the railway traffic is followed by a decrease in the average cost. Rail transport is economical in the use of labour also as one driver and one guard are sufficient to carry much more load than the motor transport.
6. Safety: Railway is the safest form of transport. The chances of accidents and breakdowns of railways are minimum as compared to other modes of transport. Moreover, the traffic can be protected from the exposure to sun, rains, snow etc.
7. Larger Capacity: The carrying capacity of the railways is extremely large. Moreover, its capacity is elastic which can easily be increased by adding more wagons.
8. Public Welfare: It is the largest public undertaking in the country. Railways perform many public utility services. Their charges are based on ‘charge what the traffic can bear’ principle which helps the poor. In fact, it is national necessity.
9. Administrative Facilities of Government: Railways provide administrative facilities to the Government. The defence forces and the public servants drive their mobility primarily from the railways.
10. Employment Opportunities: The railways provide greater employment opportunities for both skilled and unskilled labour. Over 16 lakh persons are depending upon railways for their livelihood.
11. Environmentally Friendly: If you’re looking for a way to move your freight and save the environment, rail is a solid option. According to an independent study for the Federal Railroad Administration, railroads are four times more fuel-efficient than trucks. They also lower greenhouse gas emissions, reduce highway congestion, and even reduce pollution. Plus, according to the AAR, one ton of freight can move 436 miles on one gallon of fuel.
12. Cost Effective: Traveling by rail is also extremely cost effective, and this is important to every company’s bottom line. Since you can move more cargo with one train than you can with one truck, you can instantly save on freight costs while receiving the dependability and versatility your freight requires.