General Assembly Resolution # 49
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.
Category: Social Justice
Proposed by: Studly Penguins
To the Peoples of the World Assembled,
NOTING the significant value of the use of stem cells in medical research and the untapped potential that those cells can provide,
ALARMED at the number of diseases and other injuries going either without treatment or with inadequate treatment due to the nature of said ailment,
EMPHASIZING the need to Guarantee the right of Nations to research and develop stem cell related cures, treatments, and a Patients right to use Stem Cell therapies.
1) GUARANTEES the right of Doctors to engage in Stem Cell research should they so choose.
2) SOLEMNLY AFFIRMS that no Doctors or Medical Institutions can be held liable if they choose not use Stem Cell-related treatments if it violates their own personal values and/or principles.
3) CREATES the Stem Cell and Alternative Treatment Research Office to the WHA. Their objective is to research and develop potential cures and medicines derived from Stem Cells to help combat the effects of illness and injury. They shall be attached to the Health Research and Development Division (HRDD). All breakthroughs and developments shall be published and put into the Public Domain.
4) AFFIRMS the right of Nations to decide the source of the Stem Cells they use for research and development. Also mandates that the Stem Cells must be harvested in the most humane and least destructive way possible.
5) ALLOWING for trade amongst Nations in Stem Cells of any kind including: Cells, Research Equipment, or Training. It shall be left to each National Government to determine compensation for any transaction completed. In the event of a dispute in this area of Trade, the HRDD shall have the authority to settle the dispute.