General Assembly Resolution # 125
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
General Assembly Resolution #120 “Missing Minors Database” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.
The General Assembly,
APPLAUDING the intent of Missing Minors Database, and believing in the guaranteed safety of minors,
BUT ACKNOWLEDGING several flaws with the resolution, including that:
1. It does not count as "abduction" cases where abductors, with the purpose of harm, coerce or deceive minors into voluntarily attaching themselves to said abductor;
2. It requires alerts regarding all missing minors be broadcast in "all available media", leaving confusion and differing opinions regarding whether privately-owned media is affected, and it does not allow for limitation of more-frequent alerts to within a certain radius of where the minor was last seen;
3. Further, it requires that "all border crossings [and] transportation hubs" and "all...legal enforcement authorities," everywhere in the nation, be sent an overwhelming mass of notifications about every missing minor in the nation, including runaways;
4. It counts runaway minors as "abducted", ignoring the differences between cases in which a minor is forcibly taken against their will, and cases where a minor chooses to leave of their own volition;
5. It forces nations to expend law enforcement resources towards the locating and apprehension of said runaways, who may not wish to be found and may have good reasons for leaving their family's home, then does not attempt to address the issues behind the runaway's choice to leave the home;
6. It suggests that, upon a minor's return to their family, the case be considered "resolved" and no further action is pledged or required to ensure the minor's and community's continued safety, including possible prosecution of a minor's abductor;
7. It requires needless paperwork in cases in which a parent or guardian wishes to travel across international borders with a minor and without the other parent or guardian, and does not expound requirements in cases where a minor has more than two parents and/or legal guardians;
REALIZING that "Missing Minors Database", despite its laudable intent, is a highly flawed resolution,
The General Assembly hereby repeals "Missing Minors Database".
Co-authored by Quelesh