The Democratic Social Republic of Zonolia is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Kim Berloni with a fair hand, and remarkable for its anti-smoking policies, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, democratic, humorless population of 16.129 billion Zonolians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, outspoken government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Zuritz. The average income tax rate is 97.0%.
The strong Zonolian economy, worth a remarkable 1,544 trillion Zonolian Dollars a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is led by the Uranium Mining industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Book Publishing, and Furniture Restoration. Average income is 95,751 Zonolian Dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Many mayors are barely in office before being kicked out for minor parking violations, coalition governments are essential to passing new laws, the government keeps introducing new foreign species to combat the previous ones it has introduced, and refugees from other nations are flocking to Zonolia's border. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Zonolia's national animal is the Zonolian Hawk, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its national religion is Secularism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Zonolia's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Zonolia's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Zonolia's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Zonolia's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Zonolia was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Healthiest Citizens and the Top 10% for Most Cultured, Most World Assembly Endorsements, Most Eco-Friendly Governments, and Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : Zonolia was refounded in Balder.
- : Zonolia ceased to exist in Lazarus.
- : Zonolia's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Zonolia's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Zonolia was refounded in Lazarus.