The Bloodthirsty Bodhisattva of Zaolat is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Saulot with an iron fist, and remarkable for its ritual sacrifices, compulsory vegetarianism, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, cynical, devout population of 16.694 billion Salubri are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Environment, Law & Order, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Enoch. The average income tax rate is 81.7%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The thriving Salubri economy, worth a remarkable 1,152 trillion Valerans a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, highly specialized black market in Information Technology and Cheese Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. State-owned companies are the norm. Average income is 69,030 Valerans, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Citizens who refuse to vote are guillotined, male med students learning female anatomy do so with their eyes tightly closed, high school career advisors advise belligerent loners to consider vigilantism, and fistfighting vigilantes tend to suffer a lot of gunshot wounds. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Zaolat's national animal is the Unicorn, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Golconda.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, fistfighting vigilantes tend to suffer a lot of gunshot wounds.
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, high school career advisors advise belligerent loners to consider vigilantism.
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, male med students learning female anatomy do so with their eyes tightly closed.
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, citizens who refuse to vote are guillotined.
- : Zaolat was reclassified from "Democratic Socialists" to "Corrupt Dictatorship".
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, the Snapgram channel "Embarrassing Baby Saulot Pics" has made Saulot's mom a celebrity.
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, orientation videos remind rookie female politicians that slaps on the bottom are perfectly acceptable forms of communication.
- : Zaolat was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Advanced Public Transport and Most Subsidized Industry.
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, terrified neighbors cower behind concertina wire and machine gun nests.
- : Following new legislation in Zaolat, would-be emigrants are told "abandon all hope all ye who would exit here".