The People's Republic of Xat Lao is a large, safe nation, notable for its compulsory military service, devotion to social welfare, and stringent health and safety legislation. The cynical population of 78 million Lao people are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The medium-sized, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Welfare, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 44.0%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but sluggish Lao economy, worth 2.32 trillion Lao kips a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is fairly diversified, is led by the Cheese Exports industry, with major contributions from Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Retail, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 29,756 Lao kips, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Military spending is on the increase. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Xat Lao's national animal is the Indian elephant.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Xat Lao's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Xat Lao lodged a message on the The South Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Xat Lao relocated from Res Novae to The South Pacific.
- : Xat Lao relocated from Independent Order to Res Novae.
- : Xat Lao lodged a message on the Independent Order Regional Message Board.
- : Xat Lao relocated from The North Pacific to Independent Order.
- : Xat Lao's influence in The North Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Xat Lao changed its national demonym adjective to "Lao".
- : Xat Lao altered its national flag.
- : Xat Lao changed its national demonym to "Lao", its demonym adjective to "Laotian", and its demonym plural to "Lao people".