The Free Land of Wintony is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by The Chairman with a fair hand, and notable for its rum-swilling pirates, sprawling nuclear power plants, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 17.631 billion Wintonians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The medium-sized government is primarily concerned with Defense, although Education, Public Transport, and Healthcare are also considered important, while Spirituality and International Aid are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Wintopedia. The average income tax rate is 90.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The all-consuming Wintonian economy, worth a remarkable 3,233 trillion smallers a year, is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Information Technology, and Beef-Based Agriculture. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is an impressive 183,418 smallers, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.2 times as much as the poorest.
Real estate agencies are being replaced by naval recruitment offices, the nation has become a pariah for giving pirates letters of marque, short shrift is being given to applications for political asylum from illegal immigrants, and intellectual snobbery has the cognoscenti sneering at anyone who doesn't have an opinion on the semiological drift of Umberto Eco's works. Crime is relatively low. Wintony's national animal is the Colossus, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Valuable International Artwork.
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Extensive Public Healthcare.
- : Wintony changed its national leader to "The Chairman".
- : Wintony published "Stupid Facts About Wintony" (Factbook: Culture).
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Advanced Public Transport.
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Populations and Largest Information Technology Sector.
- : The Security Council resolution Repeal "Commend Wintony" was passed 11,080 votes to 2,298.
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Zombified and Most Dead.
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Survivors.
- : Wintony was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Stationary.