The Protectorate of Volno is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, notable for its complete lack of prisons, complete absence of social welfare, and spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working population of 10.44 billion Parhasques are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The relatively small, pro-business government juggles the competing demands of Social Policy, Industry, and Administration. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Paaoma. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 8.2%.
The strong Volnoan economy, worth 436 trillion Parhean Tongboes a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is broadly diversified, is led by the Gambling industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Book Publishing, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 41,778 Parhean Tongboes, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 248,441 per year while the poor average 3,221, a ratio of 77.1 to 1.
Travellers are often forcibly evicted by torch-bearing mobs, mining is the nation's most dangerous occupation, inheritance tax has recently been abolished, and graffiti graces every city's streets. Crime, especially youth-related, is pervasive, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Volno's national animal is the Parhean Rhinoceros, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Volno was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- : Volno was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- : Volno's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Volno's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Volno's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Volno's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Volno's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Volno relocated from Penglai to The Rejected Realms.
- : Volno was ejected from Penglai by The Protectorate of Parhe.
- : Volno was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Stationary.