The Republic of Vara 19 is a huge, safe nation, notable for its public floggings, state-planned economy, and enslaved workforce. The hard-nosed population of 717 million Vara 19ians are prohibited from doing almost everything except voting, which they do timidly and conservatively.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Administration, and Law & Order. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 45.6%.
The sizeable but underdeveloped Vara 19ian economy, worth 21.7 trillion rubles a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Tourism, Information Technology, Book Publishing, and Cheese Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 30,277 rubles, with the richest citizens earning 6.6 times as much as the poorest.
Newspapers and TV broadcasters are given a list of 'acceptable words', Leader has no checks and balances after the upper house was abolished, the lactose-intolerant are force-fed cheese products with predictably gassy results, and most believe it doesn't hurt to embrace free trade. Crime, especially youth-related, is almost non-existent, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Vara 19's national animal is the eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Vara 19's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Vara 19 applied to join the World Assembly.
- : Vara 19 resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Vara 19 endorsed The Incorporated States of Serene Horizon.
- : Vara 19 was endorsed by The Armed Republic of Raia Mutomboki 2nd Brigade.
- : Vara 19 was endorsed by The Republic of Expresso bongo.
- : Vara 19 endorsed The Democratic Republic of Market-183.
- : Vara 19 was admitted to the World Assembly.
- : Vara 19's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Vara 19's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".