The Protectorate of Vannellein is a large, safe nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, ban on automobiles, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed population of 86 million Vannelleinians are highly moralistic and fiercely conservative, in the sense that they tend to believe most things should be outlawed. People who have good jobs and work quietly at them are lauded; others are viewed with suspicion.
The large, moralistic government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Welfare. The average income tax rate is 49.2%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The Vannelleinian economy, worth 3.58 trillion Vals a year, is led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Arms Manufacturing, and Information Technology. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 41,653 Vals, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Vannellein's army is full of two-metre tall super-soldiers, sections of the police receive paramilitary training, breastfeeding mothers are replacing smokers to loiter outside the workplace, and obstetricians are not allowed to publish ultrasound pictures of fetuses in medical journals. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Vannellein's national animal is the Dire Wolf, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Vannellein's influence in The Concord of Nations rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".
- : Vannellein's influence in The Concord of Nations rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Vannellein's influence in The Concord of Nations rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Vannellein's influence in The Concord of Nations rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Vannellein's influence in The Concord of Nations rose from "Zero" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Vannellein lodged a message on the The Concord of Nations Regional Message Board.
- : Vannellein relocated from The South Pacific to The Concord of Nations.
- : Vannellein lodged a message on the The South Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Vannellein's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Vannellein was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Conservative.