The Dominion of Torca Island is a tiny, safe nation, remarkable for its punitive income tax rates. The democratic, devout population of 12 million Torcans love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The enormous, outspoken government prioritizes Spirituality, with Welfare, Defense, and Education also on the agenda. The average income tax rate is 51.6%.
The fair Torcan economy, worth 361 billion Cereskian Pounds a year, is led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Furniture Restoration, Cheese Exports, and Retail. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 30,129 Cereskian Pounds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.9 times as much as the poorest.
Enemy navies sail within bombardment range of major coastal cities with impunity, employers may fire workers without giving any reason, organ donation rates are among the lowest in the region, and corporations donate huge sums of money to favored politicians. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Torca Island's national animal is the Peregrine Falcon.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Torca Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Politically Free.
- : Following new legislation in Torca Island, corporations donate huge sums of money to favored politicians.
- : Following new legislation in Torca Island, organ donation rates are among the lowest in the region.
- : Following new legislation in Torca Island, employers may fire workers without giving any reason.
- : Torca Island lodged a message on the The North Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Torca Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Least Corrupt Governments.
- : Torca Island's influence in The North Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Torca Island relocated from The Rejected Realms to The North Pacific.
- : Torca Island relocated from The West Pacific to The Rejected Realms.
- : Torca Island was ejected and banned from The West Pacific by The Snarky Solar Observer of Bhang Bhang Duc.