The United Socialist States of Theforrest is a large, safe nation, renowned for its state-planned economy, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The cynical population of 86 million Theforrestians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The enormous, socially-minded, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Welfare, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 68.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but underdeveloped Theforrestian economy, worth 2.88 trillion rubbels a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Trout Farming and Uranium Mining. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 33,500 rubbels, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.9 times as much as the poorest.
Military spending is on the increase, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, employers may fire workers without giving any reason, and the "war on terror" doesn't seem to be making Theforrestians any less frightened. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Theforrest's national animal is the chiken, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Theforrest's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Theforrest was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.
- : Theforrest lodged a message on the The South Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Following new legislation in Theforrest, the "war on terror" doesn't seem to be making Theforrestians any less frightened.
- : Following new legislation in Theforrest, employers may fire workers without giving any reason.
- : Following new legislation in Theforrest, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes.
- : Following new legislation in Theforrest, military spending is on the increase.
- : Theforrest was founded in The South Pacific.