The Protected Isle of The Vines is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Fuchsia Rose with a fair hand, and renowned for its unlimited-speed roads, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, democratic population of 12.396 billion Vinesfolk hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, liberal, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Asterville. The average income tax rate is 82.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Vinyl economy, worth a remarkable 2,015 trillion bits a year, is led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Tourism, and Cheese Exports. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 162,621 bits, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.5 times as much as the poorest.
The Vines's heavy congestion charges are the bane of motorists' lives, psychiatrists bizarrely accompany Fuchsia Rose to meetings with foreign heads of state, sales of pregnancy testing kits are booming, and demand for night vision goggles and boat engine mufflers has spiked. Crime is totally unknown. The Vines's national animal is the Lernaean hydra, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Incomes.
- : The Vines's influence in Pony Lands fell from "Contender" to "Negotiator".
- : The Vines's influence in Pony Lands rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Extensive Civil Rights.
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Tax Rates.
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth.
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans and Highest Average Incomes.
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Best Weather.
- : The Vines was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Free and Largest Information Technology Sector and the Top 10% for Most Secular and Largest Populations.