The Crumbling Underwater City of The Rapture Republic is a colossal, efficient nation, renowned for its smutty television, disturbing lack of elderly people, and free-roaming dinosaurs. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless population of 8.24 billion Aquarians are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The medium-sized, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Rapture. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 81.9%.
The frighteningly efficient Aquarian economy, worth a remarkable 1,523 trillion Dollars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, broadly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Tourism. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 184,940 Dollars, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 617,595 per year while the poor average 41,200, a ratio of 15.0 to 1.
Spoiler warnings are now given out before political speeches, Aquarian junkies argue that poppy stalks are ornamental flowers, nuclear warheads are frequently launched into space as a warning to invading meteoroids, and stealing from a clothesline is a serious offence. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. The Rapture Republic's national animal is the Leviathan, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Christianity.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Rapture Republic was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Healthiest Citizens.
- : The Rapture Republic was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Mining Sector.
- : The Rapture Republic was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- : The Rapture Republic was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Smartest Citizens.
- : The Rapture Republic was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Advanced Public Transport.
- : The Rapture Republic was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Patriotic and the Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : The Rapture Republic's influence in The Union of Egoists rose from "Enforcer" to "Eminence Grise".
- : The Rapture Republic's influence in The Union of Egoists rose from "Dealmaker" to "Enforcer".
- : The Rapture Republic published "Tales from Rapture: Deformed Flowers" (Factbook: Miscellaneous).
- : The Rapture Republic changed its national nation type to "Crumbling Underwater City".