|Leader||Supreme President Gregorios Stavrios|
|Faith||Eastern Orthodox Church|
The Byzantine Republic of The New Byzantine II is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Supreme President Gregorios Stavrios with an even hand, and renowned for its ubiquitous missile silos, keen interest in outer space, and punitive income tax rates. The quiet, industrious population of 10.707 billion Byzantines have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Education, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Athenia. The average income tax rate is 77.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The very strong New Byzantine IIian economy, worth 778 trillion Byzantine drachmas a year, is dominated by the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Furniture Restoration, Information Technology, and Cheese Exports. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 72,705 Byzantine drachmas, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.9 times as much as the poorest.
Abortion is only legal in unusual circumstances, election results are often delayed for weeks to count the expat votes, graverobbers claim they're acting within the interest of 'scientific preservation', and the government frequently panders to parents with boutique tax credits. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. The New Byzantine II's national animal is the Golden Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Eastern Orthodox Church.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The New Byzantine II's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : The New Byzantine II's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : The New Byzantine II was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending.
- : The New Byzantine II's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : The New Byzantine II's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Following new legislation in The New Byzantine II, the government frequently panders to parents with boutique tax credits.
- : The New Byzantine II altered its national flag.
- : The New Byzantine II was refounded in Balder.
- : The New Byzantine II ceased to exist in Balder.
- : The New Byzantine II's influence in Balder rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".