The Federation of The Grims is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Lord Downey with an iron fist, and remarkable for its state-planned economy, public floggings, and compulsory military service. The compassionate, cynical, cheerful, devout population of 2.507 billion Grimsians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The enormous, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Policy, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ankh Morpork. The average income tax rate is 81.9%.
The strong Grimsian economy, worth 162 trillion Ankh-Morpork Dollars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Information Technology, Book Publishing, Tourism, and Arms Manufacturing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 64,878 Ankh-Morpork Dollars, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.4 times as much as the poorest.
The country has been 'going shopping' by annexing nearby nations for their resources, schools have extensive counseling programs for troubled students, judges are all-powerful, and the only places to see hedgehogs now are at local zoos. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown. The Grims's national animal is the hedgehog, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Fate.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Grims's influence in Lazarus rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : The Grims was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Advanced Public Transport.
- : The Grims's influence in Lazarus rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : The Grims altered its national flag.
- : The Grims's influence in Lazarus rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : The Grims's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : The Grims was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Black Market and Most Authoritarian.
- : The Grims's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : The Grims was refounded in Lazarus.
- : The Grims ceased to exist in Balder.