|Leader||Her Renewed Majesty|
The Empire of Sunless Sky is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by Her Renewed Majesty with an iron fist, and renowned for its ubiquitous missile silos, compulsory military service, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 2.478 billion Sunlesses are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The tiny, corrupt, pro-business government is dominated by the Department of Defense, although Law & Order, Industry, and Education are also considered important, while Environment and Welfare receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of London. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.0%.
The all-consuming Sunless economy, worth 291 trillion Sovereigns a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Retail, Uranium Mining, and Woodchip Exports. Average income is an impressive 117,691 Sovereigns, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 550,601 per year while the poor average 15,028, a ratio of 36.6 to 1.
Pro-democracy regime change has been avoided, women who can do math in their head are burned for witchcraft, war criminals are given full state funerals, and the government loves seeing the little people fight. Crime is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Sunless Sky's national animal is the bat, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Sunless Sky's influence in Lazarus rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Sunless Sky was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Insurance Industry and Highest Crime Rates.
- : Following new legislation in Sunless Sky, the government loves seeing the little people fight.
- : Following new legislation in Sunless Sky, war criminals are given full state funerals.
- : Following new legislation in Sunless Sky, women who can do math in their head are burned for witchcraft.
- : Sunless Sky was reclassified from "Compulsory Consumerist State" to "Corporate Police State".
- : Following new legislation in Sunless Sky, pro-democracy regime change has been avoided.
- : Following new legislation in Sunless Sky, the army's use of chemical weapons leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
- : Sunless Sky was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Crime Rates.
- : Sunless Sky was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector.