The Matriarchy of Sosostris is a gargantuan, safe nation, renowned for its national health service, smutty television, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic population of 10.148 billion Sosostrians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, outspoken morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Phoenicia. The average income tax rate is 81.7%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but inefficient Sosostrisian economy, worth 389 trillion Futures a year, is highly specialized and led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Tourism and Furniture Restoration. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 38,346 Futures, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Legislation sometimes has to battle through weeks of filibustering to pass, dog breeding has been banned in accordance with recent animal experimentation laws, the new national mascot has to be wheeled onto the field of play, and the mining industry has taken a hit from tighter environmental regulations. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Sosostris's national animal is the Phoenician Sailor, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Sosostris's influence in New World Alliance rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Sosostris's influence in New World Alliance rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Sosostris's influence in New World Alliance rose from "Zero" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Sosostris relocated from Philosophy 115 to New World Alliance.
- : Sosostris's influence in Philosophy 115 rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Sosostris's influence in Philosophy 115 rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Sosostris's influence in Philosophy 115 rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Sosostris's influence in Philosophy 115 rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".
- : Sosostris was banned from World Alliance by The Republic of Trotskyish.
- : Sosostris relocated from World Alliance to Philosophy 115.