The Federated States of Sophista is a colossal, socially progressive nation, ruled by Christian Morrow with a fair hand, and renowned for its public floggings, smutty television, and parental licensing program. The hard-nosed, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 8.4 billion Sophistans are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The tiny, liberal, outspoken government is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, although Healthcare, Defense, and Welfare are also considered important, while Spirituality and Administration are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Whitecrest. The average income tax rate is 5.9%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The powerhouse Sophistan economy, worth a remarkable 1,343 trillion menks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is broadly diversified, is led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Book Publishing, and Soda Sales. Average income is an impressive 159,952 menks, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The nation is regarded as a paragon of democracy, nuclear physics is the most popular course at university, the nation's new Mylab space station is notorious for being the loneliest place above the planet, and the voyages of obsolete star-trekking satellites on deliberate escape orbits are only just beginning. Crime is totally unknown. Sophista's national animal is the grey fox.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Sophista's influence in Osiris rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Sophista's influence in Osiris rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Sophista was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector and Most Influential and the Top 5% for Smartest Citizens, Most Rebellious Youth, and Highest Poor Incomes.
- : Sophista's influence in Osiris rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Sophista was refounded in Osiris.
- : Sophista ceased to exist in The North Pacific.
- : Sophista was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- : Sophista's influence in The North Pacific fell from "Page" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Sophista's influence in The North Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Page".
- : Sophista relocated from Balder to The North Pacific.