The Republic of Sapien is a colossal, safe nation, ruled by The Sapienti Executive Council with an even hand, and notable for its daily referendums, hatred of cheese, and stringent health and safety legislation. The compassionate, humorless population of 6.477 billion Sapientis enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Social Policy. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Doctus Civilus. The average income tax rate is 97.1%.
The large but inefficient Sapienian economy, worth 475 trillion Literas a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 73,406 Literas, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The nation's leading climatologists are investigating animal flatulence in efforts to reduce methane emissions, the nightly news reports prosaically on the government blindly throwing money at despotic kidnappers, toilet paper is considered a non-essential item in the embargo against Brasilistan, and politicians and casino owners who so much as wander into the same room are arrested on the spot. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Sapien's national animal is the Raven, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies, and its national religion is Agnosticism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Sapien's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Sapien's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Sapien's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Sapien's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Sapien was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending and the Top 10% for Most Inclusive.
- : Sapien was refounded in Balder.
- : Sapien ceased to exist.
- : Sapien's influence in The United Council of Nations rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Sapien was reclassified from "Democratic Socialists" to "Scandinavian Liberal Paradise".
- : Following new legislation in Sapien, politicians and casino owners who so much as wander into the same room are arrested on the spot.