The Feminine Feline Colony of Salems Den is a gargantuan, efficient nation, remarkable for its smutty television, sprawling nuclear power plants, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 22.388 billion Shadows are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The tiny, pro-business government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.9%.
The frighteningly efficient a Shadow economy, worth a remarkable 2,245 trillion Claws a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Automobile Manufacturing, Gambling, and Uranium Mining. Average income is an impressive 100,306 Claws, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 573,548 per year while the poor average 8,483, a ratio of 67.6 to 1.
Hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Salems Den's many privately-owned prisons, teenage fathers are forced to join the army, pristine wilderness has been trashed in the quest for cheaper oil, and the Black Panther is believed to be extinct. Crime, especially youth-related, is almost non-existent, thanks to a well-funded police force. Salems Den's national animal is the Black Panther, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Salems Den's influence in Cat Burglars rose from "Hegemony" to "Hermit".
- : Salems Den lodged a message on the Cat Burglars Regional Message Board.
- : Salems Den's influence in Cat Burglars rose from "Superpower" to "Hegemony".
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Stationary.
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Unexpected Death Rate and Most Ignorant Citizens and the Top 10% for Largest Black Market.
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Fattest Citizens.
- : Salems Den's influence in Cat Burglars rose from "Power" to "Superpower".
- : Salems Den was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Black Market.
- : Salems Den's influence in Cat Burglars rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Power".
- : Salems Den's influence in Cat Burglars rose from "Enforcer" to "Eminence Grise".