The Republic of Por1 is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, soft-spoken computers, and state-planned economy. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 262 million Por1ians are ruled with an iron fist by the socialist government, which grants its people the freedom to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't involve getting richer than anybody else or challenging the government.
The relatively small, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Education, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 17.1%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Por1ian economy, worth 9.31 trillion Golden Golds a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, fairly diversified black market in Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, Gambling, and Woodchip Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 35,532 Golden Golds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.0 times as much as the poorest.
Deceased politicians' MyFace profiles are unanimously pro-incumbent, a National Academy regulates grammar and usage, libraries are now installed with jacuzzis and mini-bars, and academics are questioning the quality of the nation's newly-reprinted science textbooks. Crime is moderate. Por1's national animal is the Zilba, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Por1's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Por1's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Por1 was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Por1 ceased to exist in The North Pacific.
- : Following new legislation in Por1, academics are questioning the quality of the nation's newly-reprinted science textbooks.
- : Following new legislation in Por1, libraries are now installed with jacuzzis and mini-bars.
- : Following new legislation in Por1, a National Academy regulates grammar and usage.
- : Following new legislation in Por1, deceased politicians' MyFace profiles are unanimously pro-incumbent.
- : Following new legislation in Por1, careless Maxémon Trainers have been the cause of numerous search and rescue operations.
- : Por1 was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Avoided.