The Thai Kingdom of Pontianus is a gargantuan, cultured nation, remarkable for its museums and concert halls, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The democratic population of 12.664 billion Thai love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, outspoken morass — juggles the competing demands of Healthcare, Education, and Environment. The average income tax rate is 73.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Thai economy, worth 548 trillion Bhats a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Trout Farming and Woodchip Exports. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 43,338 Bhats, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Teenagers performing appendectomies on their friends has become a popular schoolyard prank, government workers are regularly taken hostage by protesters, up to 40% of voters can finally read the issues they're deciding on, and the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Pontianus's national animal is the Elephant, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Pontianus is ranked 282,427th in the world and 383rd in Commonwealth of Liberty for Largest Pizza Delivery Sector, scoring -9.81 on the Pepperoni Propulsion Productivity Index.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Pontianus was reclassified from "New York Times Democracy" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- : Pontianus's influence in Commonwealth of Liberty fell from "Auxiliary" to "Ambassador".
- : Pontianus was endorsed by The Ultimate Transcendent Empire of Rat Chungus.
- : Pontianus's influence in Commonwealth of Liberty rose from "Ambassador" to "Auxiliary".
- : Pontianus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Food Quality.
- : Pontianus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : Pontianus was endorsed by The Helvetic Republic of Cascadla.
- : Pontianus was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Pontianus endorsed The United States of Brazil Toucan.
- : Pontianus was endorsed by The United States of Brazil Toucan.
Endorsements Received: 19 » Canovia, Celdonie, Victoria Harbor, Paramountica, Nosautempopulus, OsivoII, Nileia, Metropolitan Francais, Vancouver Straits, Cinigard, Kotakuan II, The Waste Land, Adriatican Islands, Southern Texmexico, Virnall, Spainard, Brazil Toucan, Cascadla, and Rat Chungus.