The Fourth Republic of Pantoufle is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by Andrew Bähr with an even hand, and renowned for its multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, rampant corporate plagiarism, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, hard-working, cheerful population of 7.77 billion Pantouflians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Orchard Hills. The average income tax rate is 96.8%.
The all-consuming Pantouflian economy, worth 897 trillion Marques a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. Average income is an impressive 115,485 Marques, with the richest citizens earning 6.3 times as much as the poorest.
The right school tie opens more doors than the right qualification, incompetent former soldiers have been re-employed as incompetent cleaners and kitchen staff, health inspectors are seen eating black truffle fondue with their bottled water, and the government merely sends empty platitudes whenever natural disasters strike foreign nations. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Pantoufle's national animal is the Eurasian Sparrowhawk, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Pantoufle, the government merely sends empty platitudes whenever natural disasters strike foreign nations.
- : Pantoufle withdrew its endorsement from The Oppressed Peoples of The Vinlandian Islands.
- : Pantoufle endorsed The Oppressed Peoples of The Vinlandian Islands.
- : Pantoufle was endorsed by The Oppressed Peoples of The Vinlandian Islands.
- : Following new legislation in Pantoufle, health inspectors are seen eating black truffle fondue with their bottled water.
- : Following new legislation in Pantoufle, incompetent former soldiers have been re-employed as incompetent cleaners and kitchen staff.
- : Pantoufle published "Executive Order A24252252 - Suspend Issuance of Polygamous Marriage Licenses" (Factbook: Legislation).
- : Pantoufle's influence in Wintreath fell from "Duckspeaker" to "Handshaker".
- : Pantoufle was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Pantoufle was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.