|Capital||Old Hope City|
The Red Garden of Old Hope is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by The Shadow with a fair hand, and notable for its lack of airports, frequent executions, and ban on automobiles. The hard-nosed, democratic, humorless, devout population of 11.728 billion Old Hopeans enjoy great social freedoms and frequent elections, where the majority of the populace regularly votes to increase its benefits at the expense of various hapless minorities.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, moralistic, socially-minded, outspoken morass — juggles the competing demands of Administration, Environment, and Spirituality. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Old Hope City. The average income tax rate is 76.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The very strong Old Hopean economy, worth 654 trillion Feathers a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is an enormous, deeply entrenched, extremely specialized black market in Cheese Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. State-owned companies are the norm. Average income is 55,764 Feathers, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Soldiers are equipped with multi-million Feather battlesuits, high school bands practice by moonlight, the government is telling wizards to put their heart into their work, and police detectives carry phrenology calipers as part of their standard kit. Crime is moderate, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Old Hope's national animal is the Phoenix, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Old Hope voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Ending School Segregation".
- : Old Hope was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements and the Top 10% for Largest Populations.
- : Old Hope was endorsed by The Free Land of United Libor Lefunkistan.
- : Old Hope's influence in The Rejected Realms rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Old Hope was endorsed by The Lucky Question Mark﹖ of Makdon.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, police detectives carry phrenology calipers as part of their standard kit.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, the government is telling wizards to put their heart into their work.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, high school bands practice by moonlight.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, soldiers are equipped with multi-million Feather battlesuits.
- : Old Hope was endorsed by The Republic of Zachriel.