|Capital||Old Hope City|
The Red Garden of Old Hope is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by The Shadow with a fair hand, and remarkable for its ban on automobiles, strictly enforced bedtime, and triple-decker prams. The hard-nosed, democratic, humorless, devout population of 16.489 billion Old Hopeans enjoy great social freedoms and frequent elections, where the majority of the populace regularly votes to increase its benefits at the expense of various hapless minorities.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded, outspoken government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Administration, Environment, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Old Hope City. The average income tax rate is 81.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The thriving Old Hopean economy, worth a remarkable 1,029 trillion Feathers a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, extremely specialized black market in Cheese Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. State-owned companies are the norm. Average income is 62,433 Feathers, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Class clowns are frequently listed among the most dangerous criminals in the nation, it's believed that women's brains will overheat if they think for themselves, criminals are really screwed, and religious officials are furious after discovering that things made of stone do not burn well at the stake. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Old Hope's national animal is the Phoenix, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Old Hope was endorsed by The Outer Spacenation of McClandia Doge 2.
- : Old Hope was endorsed by The Holy Pink Freaks of Weenus.
- : Old Hope voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Condemn Ever-Wandering Souls"".
- : Old Hope voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Public Domain Act".
- : Old Hope voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Public Domain Act".
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, religious officials are furious after discovering that things made of stone do not burn well at the stake.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, criminals are really screwed.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, it's believed that women's brains will overheat if they think for themselves.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, class clowns are frequently listed among the most dangerous criminals in the nation.
- : Following new legislation in Old Hope, children are often punished for the sins of the fathers.
Endorsements Received: 24 » Ruinenlust, Lura, Fartsniffage, Canaltia, Love and Nature, ATSVEA, Roless, Hyon Delta, Novian Republics, Kyratistani, York Zionia, Zerphen, Ecologist Hegemony, Democratic Republic of Cacusia, Bananaistan, Heidgaudr, Garbelia, Jutsilonia, Mount Seymour, East Skirsburg, Ironic Remarks, Terrawynn, Weenus, and McClandia Doge 2.