The Sawneeak Atoll, is a disputed group of islands, islets and cays with more than 50 reefs. The Sawneeak Atoll lies off the coast of the southern-most tip of Gael in the east of the Western Isles, in the Southern Sea. The Sawneeak Atoll islands do not share any land borders with any nation, but they do share unofficial maritime borders between international claims. The islands are just outside the Exclusive Economic Zone of some Gaelitic nations. With a civilian population of 8,520, the islands are home to some of the smallest dependencies in the Western Isles.
The atoll does host a very small indigenous population named the 'Sawneeakers', but most of the population comes from immigration. The atoll also offers rich fishing grounds and significant oil and natural gas reserves, and as such, are important to the claimants in their attempts to establish defined international boundaries. Natural resources include fish, guano, oil and natural gas. Economic activity has included commercial fishing, shipping, guano mining, oil and gas exploitation, and more recently, tourism. Due to its close proximity to Southern Gael, the Sawneeak Atoll is located near several primary shipping lanes.
Most of the islands in the Sawneeak Atoll contains civilian settlements under the claimants' administrations such as St. Magaidh (Noronica), Port Douglas (Noronica) Dura (Athara Magarat), Tandran (Athara Magarat) Deyikh Slenuznekh (Uvu Deyikh) and Ka I'a I'a (Masurbia). However, as the islands are hotly contested, all of the occupied territories contain military installations from military bases to platforms.
Before settlement and discovery of Sawneeak Atoll by foreign powers, the indigenous Sawneeakers populated the islands. Proto-Gaelitic tribes from the migratory period settled in the islands of the Atoll, forming their own culture and way of life away from the rest of Gael. The islands remained in this manner through the centuries, using the trading routes from the Khas-Kirat Empire and other powers to exploit them and flourish.
The Atoll were mostly very decentralised, with tribes often fiercely protecting islands from the others. However, from 129 BC to 419 AD, the islands were unified under a Kingdom. The Kingdom of the Islands flourished for some while, making use of trading routes and the natural resources the islands had until the disaster of 419 AD. A, (what is now known as) Category-5 hurricane on the Saffir–Simpson scale caused horrendous damage to the Atoll's islands, destroying much of the civilisation on the islands. The mass migration of refugees and deaths caused the islands' population to plummet, leaving only a few who survived.
Dulung Island was first settled in the fourth century CE, when Proto-Torangese Ipachi settlers from modern Samudera arrived on large canoes. Recognising the potential for fishing, Cheif Kekeielok and his clan established a small fishing village on the southern side of the island. They grew the local fruits and rice as well as fishing, forming a self-sufficient community that thrived in relative plenty. Due to the small size of the Island and the absence of rival clans, peace reigned for over 500 years. This was always destined to come to an end, and by the ninth century, the island was facing outside demands for trade. The community was divided on the issue and the Menin Tiensapw, the tribal council, argued over whether to accept foreign ships. Eventually, the Menin Tiensapw agreed to allow foreigners to the island and received several trade envoys from several Ipachi states and other local nations.
During the reign of Queen Soumwelih, in around 1283, trade from afar brought with it the Islamic faith which spread wildly among the Dulungese people. This came during a great famine where the sugarcane crop failed, leading many to forsake their religion. The traders also introduced the Mesenting script, which is still used to this day to write Dulungese. This faith meant that close ties were established with Southern Sanggar and Kepan in the eighteenth century, as fellow Islamic and Torangese peoples. The relationship with Kepan especially was close, which has continued to this day.
In the early nineteenth century, whilst Dormill and Stiura was expanding in the Atoll, Dulung was lumped into the colonial Territory of Sanggar-Kepanie alongside Kepan. The colonial administration suppressed Dulungese culture and religion, forcing many to go underground with their faith. Local independence movements were led by the Mene ni Aramas Mwahl (MAM, Power to the Common People in Dulungese), who were affiliated with the Worker's Party of Sanggar. While violence was seen, the small size of the settlement meant that it was not on the scale seen in Negarakita. When Negarakita was given independence, its historical ties were played up by Negarakitan politicians and members of the local Pan-Torangese Minimin Pahriti (MP, Union Party in Dulungese) and this led to Dulung being added to Negarakita as the Dulung Special Administrative Region, with its capital being Kehl Sokho. The MAM opposed this and sought to join the Sawneeak Republic until 1995, then sought independence once it was clear that Sawneeak was not to be independent. A low-intensity insurgency was waged, but this was quelled by Negarakitan military presence on the island. Nowadays, Dulung is a semi-autonomous region in Negarakita. It has a local parliament, with two ministers of parliament in the Negarakitan parliament.
The islands that are now under Uvu-Deyikh were used by Deyikh pirates and slave raiders from around 800 AD to around 1600 AD. They used it as a place to trade with each other and resupply in safety. When oil was discovered in the region, the Deyikh government used this shaky historical claim to take control of the eastern islands. The modern and current government is more or less happy with the status quo of the islands as it allows them to freely access the atoll's oil without international backlash given that no one is recognised as the legal holder of the atoll. Their main diplomatic aim in the area has always been to prevent any one power from gaining legal or widely recognised control over the atoll.
Athara Magarati History
Dura Island was historically inhabited by the native Sawneeaker peoples. The Sawneeak Atoll had been known to the Khas-Kirat Empire since late 10th Century when they launched the invasions of Samudera and Linaviar, but they considered the Atoll to be of no value as compared to the riches offered by the former lands.
In 1728, the Magarati Colonial Realms frigate Dura Falls was returning from Turvin Gadhi (modern-day Turvin, Thuzbekistan) to Liba Hang (modern-day New Libang, Athara Magarat). The ship was forced to beach what would eventually be known as Dura Island due to a fierce storm. The crew and the passengers mostly belonged to the Tamu tribes of the Khas-Kirats. After encountering the native Sawneeakers and a few conflicts, Captain Thaman Tandrange led a group of his men to venture to the nearby uninhabited island; which would eventually be called Tandran after him. Those who stayed in Dura Island eventually mixed with the native Sawneeakers to give rise to the new Dura tribe.
Fishing was a major part of the Masurbian economy and fishermen were always looking to expand their businesses and venture out into further lands. The Masurbian claim of the Sawneeak Atoll was discovered by local fishermen who had heard of the Atoll's great abundance of sea life. Eager to tap into this lucrative source, Dohason Kowai, a leader among the fishing business, set off with a group to claim their part of the Atoll in 1731. After finding the Atoll, Kowai pointed to the biggest island he could see and reportedly exclaimed, "This is the place." Within months, over 100 other fishermen had made their way to the Atoll and the island was promptly named Ka i'a which in Hawaiian means, "The fish." Locals were so enamoured with the amount of profit that the extra i'a in the name was adopted to show how rich the surrounding waters were.
By 1880 the settlement had grown to about 900 people. Many were descendants of the first explorers of the island. The island was used as a fuel and supply depot for passing ships and travellers. The Masurbian government recognized Ka i'a i'a as an overseas territory but left it self-governed. The Poseidon Fishing Co. has deep ties to the island as its founder, Pua Kowai, is the great-great-grandson of the island's discoverer. Since 1881, the company has controlled much of the fishing trade and has a fleet of boats with 171 employees working on the island.
In 1909, Masurbia began to take a more militaristic stance on the islands, realizing the economic importance and constructed a small military base for Masurbian military warships and personnel. Since then the military has maintained their presence on the island as a matter of oversea protection and asserting Masurbian foreign interests. The government of Ka i'a i'a includes the mayor of Ka i'a i'a who is elected via an island election and has authority over the settlement local laws. The government of Masurbia sets fishing quotas to prevent overfishing and deals with international matters regarding the island.
In 2005, the Masurbian International Affairs Committee authorized the sale of the two smaller islands just north of Ka i'a i'a to Vancouvia in an effort to downsize the land mass needed to be protected by the Masurbian military. This sign of good faith has led to better relations between Masurbia and Vancouvia as allies in the Atoll.
The Pelican Islands were purchased from the Masurbian government in 2005 in an effort to expand the Vancouvian military presence throughout the region. Formerly uninhabited, the small Pelican islands had little vegetation nor resources, but there was enough room to pave a small airstrip for use by the Vancouvian military and its allies. In 2008, the Vancouvian Congress, noting the complicated political situation on the islands, announced their claim on almost the entire inner sea, despite neither the military presence nor legal documentation to back up the move.
The Noronnican explorer under the employ of the Noronnican East Sea Company, Richard McGwynith, encountered the Sawneeak Atoll in his travels, marking the islands as a place of special interest to the company in 1771. However, with tight resources, the company's executive did not pursue it further. As threats to the Noronnican Empire mounted further, especially in its fledgeling position in the Southern Sea, the Royal Noronnican Navy sought to expand and secure its interests in the northern section of the Southern Sea. Keenly interested in the findings of McGwynith, the Admiralty petitioned the Crown and Government to colonise islands. After garnering interest around the court, the Admiralty found an ally in the young Duke of Garlisle, who held lofty colonialist ideas, taking after his father who owned several slave plantations in Arván.
In 3rd October 1772, the Duke of Garlisle and several colonists under the protection of two naval frigates, set off on their journey. While conditions were bearable, and despite the watchful eye of the prestigious Navy, the settlers' ships were caught by heavy storms. Deciding against possibly facing the storms head-on, the Duke and naval officers agreed on skirting around the eastern side of the Atoll, landing on one of the eastern islands. Upon landing, the eventual settlement did not take long, as the native population of Sawneeakers was small and they were fairly amenable to Noronnican trade-offers. This allowed for the first settlement to grow rapidly, being called 'St. Magaidh' due to the settlers' seemingly unending luck, (which was quickly disproven a few months after construction with a wide-scale outbreak of influenza).
The islanders spread to the southern island below their original settlement in 1774, growing the island's population and economic importance. What started as a military venture had become an economic investment, as the Crown recognised the islands' strategic importance for Noronnican trade influence in Southern Gael. Both islands were named collectively as the 'Noronnican Southern Gael Territory'. While many of the more romantic colonialists wished for a more 'innovative' name, the project was handled mainly by the Admiralty, and therefore the islands needed a proper military designation.
The Noronnican Southern Gael Territory has remained Noronnican-controlled since 1774 as it has maintained its status as a highly important military asset for Noronica. The local population of 2,549 islanders are mostly ethnic-Noronnican due to the vast influx of Noronnicans to imperial colonies during the 20th Century, and due to the islands playing host to the rotational 250 military personnel and their families. Noronica's claim on the Atoll has remained fierce due to its economic interests around the Atoll. Due to this, Noronnican fishing vessels and naval vessels are often found breaching other islands' waters.
The Atoll was discovered by proxy by Stiuraian merchantmen working in modern-day Manning, Ainslie, who had heard of material wealth from Noronnican merchants also operating in the area. In the 1780s, the Stiuraian Government launched three expeditions to verify the location of the atoll and establish a settlement there to assert Stiuraian control. The first two expeditions, both led by Werner Garnet were a resounding success, with his team mapping out the atoll in its entirety and establishing Stiuraian presence on two islands a considerable distance from the already established Noronnican and Magarati settlements.
The third and final expedition, meant to sent in colonists, was postponed in response to the outbreak of the Dormillian Revolution, which also marked the temporary end of Dormill-Stiuraian affairs in the area.
Nearly a century later, after the United Republics gained control over western Samudera and established the Banda Territory, decided to press the Stiuraian claims and expand them into the preexisting Territory of Sanggar-Kepanie (modern-day Negarakita) alongside the remainder of the archipelago. The Republic of Dormill would prove to be the most significant source of immigrants to the territory, promoting the establishment of the cities of Nouvellecorsud (New Southern Court) and Nouvelle-Aquitaine (New Aquitaine, the only Dormill-Stiuraian settlement to be named in the fashion), of which the former is the largest settlement of the current territory.
After the War against Noronica, the territory was surrendered to Noronica as part of the Vellemoz Accords, becoming the other half of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory for the time afterwards. When Noronica collapsed into civil war, the former Dormill-Stiuraian territory declared independence as the Republic of Sawneeak Atoll, and successfully operated as an independent nation throughout the rest of the Noronnican Civil War.
When the United Republics was reformed in 1995, the Republic of Sawneeak Atoll had briefly considered rejoining the United Republics, but their advances were denied by the National Congress, uninterested in attracting the ire of Noronica so soon after independence. However, by 2002, the economy of the Republic was collapsing and the prospects of foreign annexation were growing more prominent as more nations began to enforce their claims to the Atoll. In a final attempt, the Republic offered to completely surrender its sovereignty to the United Republics to become a territory in exchange for debt forgiveness and financial aid. The National Congress accepted the offer, and officially annexed the Republic of Sawneeak Atoll in late 2002, establishing a territorial government under Lowell Vergoossen in 2003, who still rules to this day.
San Montagnan History
The Islands were first discovered by San Montagnan Merchants on their way back to San Montagna in 1843, the first expedition to the island was sent in 1847 led by Mario Bonucci, who declared that the islands were, "Perfect for perhaps a small Fishing village, but not much else." Despite this observation by Bonucci, the San Montagnan government decided to claim the island, and in 1851 the first San Montagnan Settlers landed on Mario Island, founding Porto Mario (Port Mario) which is currently the largest settlement on the island, as a fishing village.
The Island remained unimportant in the grand scheme of things until 1912, when a large phosphate deposit was discovered on the island, and many San Montagnans migrated to work in the new phosphate mines, causing the island's population to double to 2,000. The island's economy grew immensely during this time due to the phosphate mining. But the economical growth could not last forever, and in 2015, the Phosphate reserves were depleted. The lack of employment caused by this drew many Sawneakers to migrate to San Montagna. Those that remained, however, were faced with a crashing economy and the islands were eventually turned into a magnet for beach-goers and casino-dwellers, but the island's economy has not yet fully recovered.
The first known sighting of the Sawneeak Atoll islands by Norsans is that of the crew of the merchant vessel KNS Sotana, on the 6th of June 1851, who sighted them after being blown off course on their way back to Norstham after trading in the nations of the southern seas. Faced with the risk of wrecking on the myriad of reefs and other dangerous features in the atol, they made landfall in the natural harbour at the location now home to Janshavn, the largest settlement on the southern island of the current Norsan claim. The southern island appeared to be uninhabited, but this first visit by a Norsan vessel was fleeting and involved no exploration of the island, it was purely a measure to avoid the storm which had blown them off course.
The atoll was known of in Norstham, being marked on many maps of Noronnican origin, and on the 18th of March 1852, the Admiralty ordered that the vessel KNS Ranssor be sent on an expeditionary mission to assess whether the islands were inhabited, and whether they were of any interest to the Norsan state. After making several landings on both of the islands making up the Norsan claim, and extensive surveying, the head of the task force sent to the islands concluded in a report that whilst uninhabited, the abundance of natural resources on the islands, including timber and fish, made them of potential interest to the Norsan state. Additionally, the report also highlighted the fact that the climate and landscape (of the southern island) may facilitate the growth of high value spices, albeit in limited numbers.
The view of the Admiralty was that whilst the islands held potential, issue laid in the fact that there was no existing population on the island, and so to settle them in some way would be the only way of unlocking any potential.
The Deportation Act of 1852 was passed through the Rokenstag and Stogenstag in the winter of 1852, and it allowed for the deportation of petty criminals to what had now become known as the “Norsan Southern Territories”. The first ship carrying these criminals to the new penal colonies left Norstham in the summer of 1854, with another ship carrying resources to allow for the construction of permanent settlements. Since it was economically viable to transport convicts the long distance to the islands, all of those transported were skilled tradesmen or farmers who had mostly been convicted of fairly petty crimes, though some convicted of more serious crimes were transported. The first vessel to transport convicts to Sawneeak was under the command of Captain Arthur Sigmundson, and contained 236 criminals and their families, as well as a group or around 50 soldiers and officers, who were to command the colony under Sigmundson. The population of the Atoll grew through penal deportation until 1889, when the last vessel left Norstham carrying criminals.
After the retirement of Captain Sigmundson in 1872, subsequent “Governor Generals” were appointed by the Norsan monarch, and civilian rule developed on the islands as they grew both in terms of economic output and population. The colony was retained after the First Imperial War, owing to the fact that the population was entirely Norsan. (WIP)
Noronnican Southern Gael Territory
St. Magaidh, Port Douglas
Ka I'a I'a
Port Alson, Port James
N/A (Pelican Airfield)
Dulung Special Administrative Region
Noronnican Southern Gael Territory
The Prefectorial State of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory is a Noronnican overseas-state with Executive power being vested in the monarch which is exercised through the Prefectorial Governor on behalf of the monarch. The Prefectorial Governor is appointed by the monarch on the advice of the Noronnican Prime Minister. However, due to the military significance of the territories, the governor is a member of the Noronnican Armed Forces, handling both administrative and military duties. The current Prefectorial Governor of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory is General Sean Umbritt. The Prefectorial State of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory has a democratic semi-autonomous government through an elected civilian council, elected for a term of up to four years. The unicameral government presently consists of 8 elected members.
The Prefectorial State of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory has an upper-middle-income economy which stems from a diverse range of industries, mainly tourism, seafood, financial services, textiles, sugar and civil technology. Due to the territory's location, it thrives on the major Southern Gael trade-routes. In terms of energy, the territory maintains itself through its natural reserves and sea-based renewable energy sources.
As an overseas territory of the Overlordship of Noronica, the civilian government of the Prefectorial State of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory is not responsible for foreign affairs or defence. The state is permitted to maintain a small defence force, but it must work in tandem with the Noronnican Armed Forces and its presence in the territory. Noronica must also approve any constitutional changes of the state. The Prefectorial State is permitted to maintain a small defence force, however, this must work in tandem with the Noronnican Armed Forces. This small force is called the Islander Volunteer Force and is comprised of 84 personnel.
There are two military bases in the Prefectorial State of the Noronnican Southern Gael Territory, Joint-Operating Base Magaidh in the southern island and NONB Port Douglas in the northern island.
Noronnican Military Inventory:
1 x Infantry Company (200)
Despite being an overseas territory, the Dura Hangate is one of the constituent hangates of modern-day Athara Magarat. It is governed by a hang or hangma elected by the people of Dura Island and Tandran and approved by the Divan-i-Magarati. The current leader of this territory is Turlun Hangma.
The Athara Magarati government is responsible for the defence of this faraway hangate. The people here thrive on tourism, fishing, nickel mining and export of palm oil. Solar, water and wind power are utilized to maintain energy in Dura Hangate.
While Nyssic and Doman are the official languages like in other constituent hangates of Athara Magarat, Dura and native Sawneeaker languages are recognized in Dura Island whereas the people of Tandran speak Tamu Kyi. Religiously, the people of Dura Island are Buddhist and Christian while some traces of the native Sawneeaker beliefs also exist. On the other hand, Tandran's religion is predominately Gurung Dharma (the indigenous belief of the Tamu people) with a Buddhist minority.
'Chhelo hanne' is the most popular sports in Dura Hangate. It is like shot put except that the players hurl a huge stone towards a target; often a wooden pole. The Sawneeak quail is highly important to the people of Dura Hangate. It is the state bird and a main ingredient in their diet. In Dura Island, the bird is even culturally important. When a son is born, a male Sawneeak quail is sacrificed and similarly, a female bird of this species is cut down when a daughter is born in the family. Anthropologists and historians say that this ritual is anative Sawneeaker practice that has been preserved in Dura Island.
Athara Magarati Military Inventory:
1 x Infantry Company (200)
Deyikh Military Inventory:
0 x INSERT
0 x INSERT
0 x INSERT
Masurbian Military Inventory:
1 x Infantry Garrison (77)
3 x A-29 Sky-Vipers
Norsan Southern Lands
Norsan Military Inventory:
1 x Mk. 24 Missile Boat
5 x RNAF SAR Helicopters
The Territoire de Sawneeak-atol is a Dormill-Stiuraian Organized Unincorporated Territory, where executive authority is practiced by Governor Lowell Vergoossen on the behalf of the President of the United Republics and the National Congress of the United Republics. Most administrative functions of the territory are handled by the Governor's office though some functions are handled through the Ministry of the Interior. The Cities of Nouvellecorsud and Nouvelle-Aquitaine are administered by weak mayoral-council governments which are separate from the primary administration, but subordinate regardless. The primary civilian government consists of a bicameral legislature, the Council and Assembly, both of which are elected positions on terms of 2 years while the Governor is also directly elected.
Compared against the United Republics, the Territoire de Sawneeak-atol is underdeveloped, lacking several significant economic factors present in major Dormill-Stiuraian cities such as Ile-de-Avillon or Kapolder. However, development projects are underway to finish the construction of an underground metro system in Nouvellecorsud and expansion of New Aquitaine's airport.
Sawneeak-atol's economy is mainly driven by fishing, with mining close behind. Due to the tense political nature in the area, the National Congress has restricted travel to the territory to employees of businesses on the islands, Dormill-Stiuraian politicians, and military deployments.
The Ministry of Defense is primarily responsible for the protection of the territory of Sawneeak Atoll, providing it with the necessary components to create two company sized Citizen's Guards Formations. As of 2018, there are three military installations present within the Territory, Joint Operations Base (JB) Nouvellecorsud, Defense Installation North, and Defense Installation West. The defence of the island is reinforced by a rotation of Dormill-Stiuraian warships and Danger, Epsilon, and Franc Companies, 23rd Regiment, 10th Brigade, 2nd Mechanized Division of the Eastern Corps.
Dormill-Stiuraian Military Inventory:
3 x Infantry Companies (288)
1 x Chery-class Destroyer (rotation)
10 x P121E
The Vancouvian National Army maintains approximately 40 personnel on the southern Pelican island, mostly for the maintenance and refuelling of aircraft that utilize the island. Although somewhat adequately provisioned, the soldiers frequently travel by boat to other parts of the atoll for meals and recreation (preferring the nearby Masurbian territory), and are usually amiable to the other nations that reside there.
Although there is no permanent military presence, a small airstrip and dock allow access from light aircraft, patrol boats, and an occasional helicopter or drone. There are typically no more than a half-dozen aircraft on the island. Several outbuildings serve as storehouses for ammunition, fuel, and supplies. The soldiers themselves live in a traditional "longhouse" style barracks.
Politically, the island is a part of Vancouvia proper. It is de facto governed by the highest ranking military officer on the islands, usually a Captain. No civilians are permanently on the island although the government has allowed reporters or nature photographers to visit with special permission.
Vancouvian Military Inventory:
1 x Infantry & Maintenance Garrison (40)
The Mario Islands are an overseas territory of San Montagna with a population of 3 203, Mario Islanders are unable in San Montagnan General Elections and instead vote for the Governor, currently Giovanni Scaramozino, who has executive power over the overseas territory. The Government is located in Porto Mario, the largest settlement in the island.
Mario Island has no major industries and as such has virtually zero exports, the island exports nearly everything, from produce to consumer goods. The economy is reliant almost exclusively on tourism. The Island is classified as underdeveloped.
As San Montagna is responsible for the defence of the Island, there is currently one military installation on the Island, situated near Porto Alberto, it holds 2 garrisons of San Montagnan military personnel at any given time.
San Montagnan Military Inventory:
2 x Infantry Garrisons (100)
Dulung Special Administrative Region
Negarakitan Military Inventory:
0 x INSERT
0 x INSERT
0 x INSERT
The Sawneeak Atoll is a group of islands, islets, banks, reefs and shoals in the Southern Sea. It has over twenty-five major islands which form a circular shape around the centre of the area. The Sawneeak Atoll is close to other island nations and Southern Gael, yet its islands have no land or maritime borders outside of claimed disputes within the Atoll.
The Sawneeak Atoll hosts a vast amount of coral reefs, making them the predominant maritime structures in the Atoll. However, with military installations and artificial islands being created by claimants in the Atoll, the reefs and their wildlife are being threatened. Many environmentalist groups and nations such as Roendavar argue that the Sawneeak Atoll should not play host to human interactions, instead, the islands should be maintained and funded by Non-Governmental Organisations or the League of Western Isles as a stateless entity. Many of claimants have politicised this argument, often blaming other claimants for the 'reckless environmental abuse of the Atoll'.
The Sawneeak Atoll has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen Cfa). The summers are usually hot, averaging around 35 °C. Tourists are usually surprised to find that the islands experience quite cool winters, with temperatures dropping to an average of about 19 °C. Despite this, temperatures rarely drop further, meaning that the islands have never experienced any frost, ice or snow.
The Sawneeak Atoll is also home to vast and diverse wildlife. Birds are the most populous in the islands, with over 22 species of bird, the most famous being the Sawneeak Quail. According to the Athara Magarati government's list of Athara Magarati Fauna, "The Sawneeak Quail (Callipepla Meridionali) is a small ground-dwelling bird native to the Sawneeak Atoll. These birds have a curving crest or plume, made of six feathers, that droops forward: black in males and brown in females; the flanks are brown with white streaks. Males have a dark brown cap and a black face with a brown back, a grey-blue chest and a light brown belly. Females and immature birds are mainly grey-brown with a light-coloured belly. It was introduced to Kaski island by Magarati Colonial Realms botanist and zoologist Shyam Jirel. The Sawneeak quail is a highly sociable bird that often gathers in small flocks known as "coveys"."
There is also a diverse marine presence in the Sawneeak Atoll as many dolphins, orcas, other whales species and some shark species populate the Atoll's waters. The coral reefs host several plant species also, as found out by the many scientists that are granted access to study the naturally-formed reefs.